The Dreaded Alternator Failure?

Hi everyone, 

The battery light in my 2008 Touring came on tonight so I headed home in case I got stranded. 

The battery tested 11.8V with a multimeter and no change when I started the engine. 

I'm assuming that the alternator has failed but is there anything else I can check myself to properly diagnose? 

A previous post on this forum mentioned to check earth cables and the serpentine belt but mine seem to be OK. 

What could I expect to pay a mechanic to replace the alternator? 

Thanks. 

Having the voltage not increase with the car started definitely doesn't bode well for the alternator. I got a new alternator a few years ago and I believe it cost ~$600 all up. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you. Based on a few YouTube videos that I watched it's a bit of a bugger to remove like the water pump. 😭

Many thanks for the feedback had an alternator replaced on the sportivo  2.4 litre. last week.

(it was high energy time at the 4/7/11    to place the car into a parking bay.)

Thanks /  to a great very local auto mechanic.it was a very fast to source/fit  a  german alternator and be

on my way.

What brand multimeter could be used to further monitor the battery ?

I had the alternator go on my old 2001 2.4 sportivo manual, changed that one myself as it's easy to get to. As for multimeter I have one from aldi which works nicely.

18 hours ago, Jacaranda said:

Thank you. Based on a few YouTube videos that I watched it's a bit of a bugger to remove like the water pump. 😭

I have to agree that it is involved but maybe not as much as the water pump replacement. I ended up removing the radiator shroud to have the space to maneuver out the existing alternator and to get to an additional retaining bolt that is hidden away. Also I bought a very decent quality alternator which came with a 3-5 year warranty from an established eBay seller.

If I was looking for another alternator, I would be considering this ebay listing as a starting benchmark.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/404500266840?fits=Model%3AAurion|Make%3AToyota&itmmeta=01HR49ECG9RP7SQB7WZ46K6T5G&hash=item5e2e183f58:g:Hw4AAOSw7URlCWcL:sc:AU_Regular!4118!AU!-1&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8J03ymyAAiJoMfLc%2FIQsl0rs%2Bpnd0aMfqCZ%2BRwUE%2BH3Cmx0ZTc9ysCQJwWajTPevCclyQehbq1FuQSukCLaK7CxK8bkrdJ82vd4zqIbqMb%2BWFZu4eccc4Fb9y1UNdyRTJP0zsDifDGsqfPnzWWj8C1I%2FKVMz9Dv8uWRBzjCe4Gf3RJr13S%2F2mlSS3MqiU4PGA%2Bax1DRPY0uZq7UWvoXYeEnHIgdyNpEPGZA0Ll67d3iX5Aa5YVFvA82pEIwTF7NAWZ4OQg2W4w%2Bx4gAxqoel4H%2Fp139KhGbqNFJFU7v0QHMdGn2tzbV4Mq0XGqs43NRP4w%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5rIuYnBYw

• Thanks 1

Thanks that's awesome! 

I just bought it for $185 with ebay plus and have found a mechanic who will fit it for cash. 😀

• Like 1