'05 Sportivo Black Respray

Hi Guys,

After my unfortunate incident with an electric gate not picking up it's sensor and scratching my rear passenger door, I had the rear door reprayed and have only just noticed over the w/end that in strong direct sunlight the freshly painted door skin looks like a darker black in colour.

I wasnt sure if it was just my eyes or if it was the way the black metallic paint reflects off the sun and light :unsure:

I was hoping to get some your thoughts and feedback especially from the guys who have a black stivo and have had it reprayed. This way I can set my mind at ease! :D

Cheers all

My car is metallic silver, when I picked up the car new from Graham Werner Toyota in Ferntree Gully, Victoria it had a deep scratch in the drivers door. I nearly didn't accept the car (I shouldn't have) but they assured me it would be fixed and wouldn't been seen.

In most lights, the drivers door is clearly a different colour, went back a few times but never fixed. I gave up rather than let them make it worse. Problem is, looks like accident damage, but the car has never been in one.

The only way I can see it being fixed and probably the same solution to your problem, but not really worthwhile is to respray that entire side of the car to match that panel...

gday gday...

i prefer 2 do my own spraying when i need to paint anything on the car. im not suggesting you do that, but im thinking that your repairer or whoever sprayed your car depended on someone else to match the colour. if they got the colour from a place like autobarn, who claim "colour match", but the colour is mixed based on the colour the car was sprayed in the factory and they depend on a computer to calculate the right mix. this would result in a good but not perfect match.

when your car is a couple years old already, the colour of your car changes due to factors such as sun exposure and weather etc.

the only way to get an exact colour match is when the paint guy is mixing the colour by hand, walks out to the carpark to check the mix with the colour of your car and decides whether its slightly darker/lighter, then mixes it accordingly to get the closest match possible. in my case it was pretty exact :) its where i got the colour for my eyelids & grille.

found my paint @ V.G Autopaints & Toolz

11 Amax Ave Girraween NSW 2145

Ph: (02) 9636 5411

Fax: (02) 9636 5300

Email: info@vgautopaints.com.au

free plug 4 them :P

no i dont work for them but a business that does a good job deservez 2 get a mention.

Hi Guys,

After my unfortunate incident with an electric gate not picking up it's sensor and scratching my rear passenger door, I had the rear door reprayed and have only just noticed over the w/end that in strong direct sunlight the freshly painted door skin looks like a darker black in colour.

I wasnt sure if it was just my eyes or if it was the way the black metallic paint reflects off the sun and light :unsure:

I was hoping to get some your thoughts and feedback especially from the guys who have a black stivo and have had it reprayed. This way I can set my mind at ease! :D

Cheers all

Everything JJCRU23R said is true.

Re-Sprays never match perfectly although a good painter should be able to get it pretty close. If you aren't happy with the finish I would take it back & ask them to do it again. problem is it means you will be without your car again.

they should usally take ur petrol cover and compare it spot on with that but.... i dont knoe my wing tips and eyelids are SPOT ON!! looks really alike in paint metalic and all

Steve,

paint can look different in different light.... i personally believe your mind plays a large part... its like you're purposely looking for a defect and hoping that there isnt one.

That said, some ppl are picky at matching, some arent.

I know the guy I use is pretty picky at matching, i still cant tell that parts of my rear bumper have been painted to this day.

He used the "mixing the colour by hand, walks out to the carpark to check the mix with the colour of your car and decides whether its slightly darker/lighter, then mixes it accordingly to get the closest match possible" method.

DSports

Number: 9601 3599

Address: Unit 1/7 Regent Cr Moorebank 2170.

(Its off Heathcote Rd - about 100m from the M5 entrance, kinda in the street behind the 7/11 servo there).

Edited by neK

a police car crashed into my car last xmas and the front end of my car had to be resprayed.... when i got it back the colour was schmick.... the car was all buffed and polished and the colour looked great. however, 4 weeks later when i washed it the first time, i was alarmed at how different the two colours were.... my car is red, which is a hard colour to match, almost as hard as black..... i took it back to the spray painters and was told even though i had a lifetime guarantee on the work from my insurance company, they were not going to repsray or even look at the colour difference....

since i have put the eyelids on (and the painter who did those matched them to the rest of the car) the odd panels on the front stick out like dogs balls.....

i have phoned my insurance company and they dont wanna know about it, giving me the run around with it.... maybe in a few weeks when i am finished uni i will pursue it more....

my advice to you is, it doesnt matter how hard it is to match paint.... it can be done.... and should be!!! if a painter cannot match a colour, he shouldnt be in the trade..... paint fades, so after any amount of time, the colour code of the car will not perfectly match the rest of the panels.....

dont give up!!! like so many people have said, there are people out there who can match paint..... just not so many of them work in NRMA approved smash repairs :unsure:

On my '00 I had a similar issue. When I was in newcastle during 2004 I scratched my bumper. Stupid me went with the cheapest quote and the job was botched. My '00 was Electric Blue, which is a difficult colour to match. The repaired area came back purple. I then went and got it re-done at an NRMA/AAMI approved repairer for only a little more (still under the total cost of dearest quote), it looked super dooper.

The trick is to a) match colour VISUALLY, not to just use the paint code and b)blend in with surrounding panels - esently they repaint 1/4 of your car. poor quality/el-cheapo shops don't do these. My brother's '01 astina (champagne gold) had an incident; that is a hard colour to match but to turned out ok.

That is a reason why I got my '05 in white - for chips I dab some paint on, use a cutting polish and looks like new :)

Edited by c2105026

DSports

Number: 9601 3599

Address: Unit 1/7 Regent Cr Moorebank 2170.

(Its off Heathcote Rd - about 100m from the M5 entrance, kinda in the street behind the 7/11 servo there)

[\quote]

This is where I had my car resprayed when it had a factory paint fault when I just bought the car. Warren Toyota uses these guys to do their paint work for them. It took them 5 times to get it resprayed and still doesn't look like its matched. It was a small circle on the drivers door, turned out to be a larger patch, then the whole door, then they decided to blend it in with the back door. batards!!!. never take it to this place. :angry:

Sorry to hear about your experience with them... my stuff has always come out on top. You sure we're talking about the same place?

They a have a non vicious dog roaming around the place.

Out of curiousity, why did you accept the car if it had a factory paint fault? Why didnt you just ask for another one?

Edited by neK

I used to be a beater and spraypainter and by my own personal experience i know that its very hard to match a colour off a colour chart index which all panel shops use and to get it perfect and new paint will always look different in sunlight coz the original paint tend to get dull or fade with wear and when a repair is made that area is usually buffed with compound to get out imperfections so it looks glossy compared to other bits

i was told that if you had a new car with "paint protection" and you happen to have to respray for eg your bonnet you will need the "paint protection" re-applied to the bonnet so that they match the rest of the car. Where's the detailer?? He should know! :P

i was told that if you had a new car with "paint protection" and you happen to have to respray for eg your bonnet you will need the "paint protection" re-applied to the bonnet so that they match the rest of the car. Where's the detailer?? He should know! :P
when they tell you they have paint protection done all it is simply just polished or buffed thats what they do and take 300 or 400 bucks off silly fools who pay for it and when a car is sprayed it always will get buffed in the area repaired if your real lucky the whole car

Yeh I think ur right MB487. Im glad its not just me! I will be waxing the car over the w/end so im sure the results will speak for themselves :)

Edited by Cheeky Age

• 3 weeks later...

speaking from the other point of view i painted jades eyelids mirror covers off standard formulars but panel to panel matchs is harder a lot of cars have whats called a blends clear over colour blended with clear top coats its a bit of smoke and mirrors but time and effort is not rewarded by insurance companys and at 30 odd dollars and hour its hard to make a living my advice is to everyone out there deal with people you can trust know your rights and do your homework ps most panel beaters have bad grammar ;) ;)