VW R32

only issue is VW in australia is expensive! cos Aus is the ***** hole end of the world to get anything from europe here would cost!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...there's plenty of different dealers that charge $90/hr labour... Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, VW etc

The last time i checked most dealers were charging me $60/hr but they take much longer to get a job done.. i think thats where the difference is. i think thats why there is ultratune or the good old neighbouhood mechanic that charges $40-$50/hr :P

Edited by ZEEROLLA

SOmthing tells me you will be eating your word in a few months sportiv!!! hahaha :P

to this date no.. you can do what you want but go and sit in one and look around and then you can say wow this is where the extra money comes in.. but the trash chat that comes on this forums is so pointless.. now once again comparing apples and oranges the only similarity is that its a hatch..

might just come up with a stupid comment like let me strip my car down and line it up against a new Arial atom cos i'll beat it .. what a load of ****.. your car can be modded to an extent and if the engine internals etc arent good then guess what you'll be sitting in your expensively modded car crying at your 20k worth of mods whilst the other guy slowly moves away or fastly depending on legality..

my 3 drachmas

All that I can say is that when my Kombi makes a return to the road I'll go looking for a R32 to stirr up and see if he takes the bait. Love to see the look on his face when the block of orange and white flats pulls up along side him so I can wave and smile then pull away. ;)

WHY??? BECAUSE A REAL VOLKSWAGEN IS AIR COOLED BABY :P :P :P :P :P

(and I'll have a nice lil turbo to boot hehehehehehe)

Sportivo is nice and quick but the element of surprise comes in a big orange and white box :D

Life In The Low Lane will be back in business real soon........

Sportiv r u greek? why u putting in your 3 drachmas

Silverbullet ahhhh the good ol 1977 VW kombi! done up pimp my ride style bro!

1976 to be exact and about to get a whole lot more pimpin. B)

1976 to be exact and about to get a whole lot more pimpin. B)

registerd in 77 :P

R32 golfs have been around for the past few years??

Is this a new 2006 version?? THe old ones did a 6. somthing 0.100 as well.

THey go nuts these cars but cost a fortune!!

yeah but the 2006 version is so much quicker esp at high end. B)

love to test drive that beast ! :rolleyes:

R32 golfs have been around for the past few years??

Is this a new 2006 version?? THe old ones did a 6. somthing 0.100 as well.

THey go nuts these cars but cost a fortune!!

yeah but the 2006 version is so much quicker esp at high end. B)

love to test drive that beast ! :rolleyes:

Hire don’t buy it ! Had my 1.6 Golf and new gearbox was 10k, Renault gearbox in my mothers friends 12k. and heard of 2 autos in Boras just locking up and dieing..........

So next time some small thing irks you about your Toyota think at least its not a gearbox!

Hire don’t buy it ! Had my 1.6 Golf and new gearbox was 10k, Renault gearbox in my mothers friends 12k. and heard of 2 autos in Boras just locking up and dieing..........

So next time some small thing irks you about your Toyota think at least its not a gearbox!

The Gearbox (Actually the diff) in the old shape lower end Golfs was very weak and was prone to breaking, there was a particular join that was put together with Rivets rather than bolts which was the problem.

I know someone who went through 3 of them under warranty on his. He also said the last time he had it fixed, another was being towed in for the same problem.

The GTi / R32 never had this problem and I'd say they would have rectified it on all models with the current shape.

I've seen that car with signage and all at Liverpool's McGrath VW. Freakin Hot looking car i must say. But for nearly $60k on road (rrp $55k) i am not paying all that for it.

There's another with signage in Melbourne too, I think they are Demo cars and the signage is to better promo the fact it's an R32, but with the sound they make, you'll never make that mistake, the old one sounded good, this sounds like a Supertourer on Steroids!

nope corzza south african like you,, but with the exchange rate i thought drachmas would be the best bet.. :blink:

LOL or the cypriot pound!

I've seen that car with signage and all at Liverpool's McGrath VW. Freakin Hot looking car i must say. But for nearly $60k on road (rrp $55k) i am not paying all that for it.

Hey man...but wouldn't ur ride kill this thing? :unsure:

don't ur car pump out more kW n Nm? :huh:

Whats all this BS about VWs.. :P my fwd MPS will woop its a55 :P even the awd R32 :P :lol: and that is with ZERO mods..

hehe :) thought so... :P

n ain't ur ride cheaper too? :huh:

But XR5 hard to go past too, for its price n spec. :)

Only problem is that it's well..... a ford!! :P

The cash you save up front you are more than likely to do at the ***** end!

Unlike Mazdas :D Hey ZEE?

Edited by 76ACC

Only problem is that it's well..... a ford!! :P

The cash you save up front you are more than likely to do at the ***** end!

Unlike Mazdas :D Hey ZEE?

hehe hope so dude.. :P thats why i am VERY reluctant to mod it just incase something goes BANG! The MAzda 3s have been rather reliable thus far so i don't think the MPS will be any worse. Engine/gearbox i don't know only time will tell but bothe the engine and gearbox are soooooo smooth..

Did any of yous read the latest MOTOR review of the R32? To me, i interpreted as not being spectacular but good. Handling was average being 1500kg in weight and AWD it understeers a fair bit and refuses to tuck its nose into a corner, and the engine not that inspiring either having a very narrow power band with peak torque at 4000+rpm and peak power around 6000rpm. VW should have whacked a turbo on like the GTI ;) Motor gave the Golf GTI 5 stars but there is just a hint in this review the R32 might get outgunned and out-tuned by the Golf GTI being lighter and more affordable.

ZEE...I had a drive of an RX7 Series 7 yesterday morning.

Unbelievable. Is an old mate who is up from melbourne. 90,000k's on the clock and it still hasn't died too, 40,000k's from the mild rebuild. Front mount, engine back system, clutch, fly, computer, manifold upgrade bla bla bla. 280kw atw or around that, and let me tell you...it just pulls, and pulls, and pulls, and pulls and does NOT stop. Cornering wise he's running sways, struts and TEIN flex with electronic damper control (bit blingy, doesn't use it much haha), the thing HANDLES. My ***.

This car could have won my heart ZEE...and it's a Mazda. We shall see later on in the future where I am at.

It felt good to hit 'mild' boost and fly straight past a WRX btw hehehehe ;)

ZEE...I had a drive of an RX7 Series 7 yesterday morning.

Unbelievable. Is an old mate who is up from melbourne. 90,000k's on the clock and it still hasn't died too, 40,000k's from the mild rebuild. Front mount, engine back system, clutch, fly, computer, manifold upgrade bla bla bla. 280kw atw or around that, and let me tell you...it just pulls, and pulls, and pulls, and pulls and does NOT stop. Cornering wise he's running sways, struts and TEIN flex with electronic damper control (bit blingy, doesn't use it much haha), the thing HANDLES. My ***.

This car could have won my heart ZEE...and it's a Mazda. We shall see later on in the future where I am at.

It felt good to hit 'mild' boost and fly straight past a WRX btw hehehehe ;)

The later series RX7s are on my "dream" list :P In Japan its so common to see 400-500hp from them with bolt-on mods.. its actually "disgraceful" to have an RX7 with less than those figures! But they are not the most economical things to run.. and was told that those rotaries arn't the most bomb-proof engines either but i guess it all comes down to how you drive it and how you mod it. Boost is like a drug, all turbo car owners want more of it but going too far will always certainly end with tears ;) :D

Edited by ZEEROLLA

I feel i should put in my 2c :P

*the R32s are nice cars, well polished, go good for stock, but compared to the GTi's, i don't think they stack up. Just with ECU for example the GTis can get an extra 30kw atw, thats a good deal.

*any turbo'd 9th gen corolla (done *half* properly) would crucify an R32 Golf and a GTi Golf.

*a GTR with 10k thrown at it is pretty much unbeatable, with exceptions to cars like the Atom and Turbo'd Hayabusa's.

*late model rx7 = damn nice, makes 500hp easy, but very thirsty and quite prone to BOOM! (they often get Knock values of ~130 just randomly, detonation can occur as low as 40 knock)

I have run an R32 Golf i don't give a sh!t what i run and it was actually close (he had 4 people in the car :P) ...you shouldnt have been a wuss Pete, you could have given him a go :lol:

I'm interested to see what you people think you will get from an old worn out GTR with "10K thrown at it"

Burnt out clutch? crunchy box? spun big end bearings? In reality you will need to do clutch, brakes, turbos, suspension, etc etc to get them to a reasonable state. And any "performance" workshop will make $10K dissapear very quickly with not a lot to show for it.

The GTR is not the be-all and end all of performance street cars, and for 90% of the examples out there it would take $10K to get them back to their "as new" performance level...

A recent eye opener for me is the MY06 rex's, $5-7K in mods = 250kw at all four wheels, ~118kw increase... The 2.5T is responding quite well. The old 2L versions couldn't get near that for the same outlay. Lucky Subaru uprated the boxes again :P

The R32 Golf is a real "sports" hatch, which can also be reflashed to make more power just like all the other recent performance golfs.

I'm interested to see what you people think you will get from an old worn out GTR with "10K thrown at it"

Burnt out clutch? crunchy box? spun big end bearings? In reality you will need to do clutch, brakes, turbos, suspension, etc etc to get them to a reasonable state. And any "performance" workshop will make $10K dissapear very quickly with not a lot to show for it.

The GTR is not the be-all and end all of performance street cars, and for 90% of the examples out there it would take $10K to get them back to their "as new" performance level...

A recent eye opener for me is the MY06 rex's, $5-7K in mods = 250kw at all four wheels, ~118kw increase... The 2.5T is responding quite well. The old 2L versions couldn't get near that for the same outlay. Lucky Subaru uprated the boxes again :P

The R32 Golf is a real "sports" hatch, which can also be reflashed to make more power just like all the other recent performance golfs.

I'd rather spend the extra money to do up the GTR to something much better than the R32 for the price tag. I was referring to the R33 and R34's as well.

...you have seen the price of stock good condition R34 GTR's lately haven't you?? R33's are crap, the new Golf R32 is a lot cheaper than a secondhand R34 GTR. I'd rather an Audi RS4 over an R34 anyway. Then you have style and insane performance.