OBD II

reyt32

g'day,

just want to ask you guys especially those who owned a corolla ae112 (japan built) or people w/ knowledge about this if my vehicle is obd 2 compliant. my car is getting older and i want to be in top of the situation always especially if the CEL pops up anytime. i am contemplating to buy this obd scanner in the net but wanted to make sure this would work properly.

if my corolla is obd2 compliant any vendor or shop you can refer for the scanner.

tanx heaps

reyt32

hey,

i dont know too much about OBD-II.. i've been researching to work out what i can get with my carputer..

i know that every car built after 1996 has an OBD-II socket thingo... im not sure where it is in the ae112, but in the zze series, its located on the right side of the drivers side footwell, very near the bonnet release lever...

now as far as OBD-II scanners go, you'll need to get 1 of 3 different protocols... its like ISO something, and the other 2 are SAE something... toyota use the ISO protocol... hang on ill get the actual code...

ok toyota use ISO 9141 circuitry as far as i can see on this page:

http://www.obdii.com/background.html

as far as places to get an OBD-II scanner, ebay is a good place to start... they have heaps of scanners that will just show you the engine warning code, and then there's billions of websites you can check what the code means...

otherwise you can get an OBD-II serial cable thing that you can plug into your laptop and it will give you real time engine warning and probbaly what they mean and other fancy things... not sure of prices but check ebay - its generally the cheapest...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

g'day,

just want to ask you guys especially those who owned a corolla ae112 (japan built) or people w/ knowledge about this if my vehicle is obd 2 compliant. my car is getting older and i want to be in top of the situation always especially if the CEL pops up anytime. i am contemplating to buy this obd scanner in the net but wanted to make sure this would work properly.

if my corolla is obd2 compliant any vendor or shop you can refer for the scanner.

tanx heaps

reyt32

i think there's one on the AE112..i recognise the plug head..its just under the steering wheel..look above ur foot pedals..it shld be there..i think :P

• 7 years later...

Wow now this will be reviving an old thread!

Anyway i'm googling around to see if my 2000 Corolla supports OBD2, there is a port to the right under the steering column and also one in the engine bay. But im not 100% sure that the car actually supports OBD2, im kind of afraid to plug in this OBD2 adapter i have in case if it doesn't support OBD2 it might break something.

If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great.

I doubt it. Just plug it in and see if it works. U won't break anything

Actually some of the crap clone stuff from China isn't made that well. 99% of the time you will be fine but some of it can cause damage, like short the wrong pins out or write new data onto the car's computers.

Well if he is afraid of damaging something, he shouldn't do it anyway. Or just get the genuine ones. Everything bought on eBay is a risk. And if he decides to buy a cheap one to see if ur works then he should understand the risks.

When I bought my obdii for the corolla I knew what can happen but I took the chance anyways. It works well and I'm happy with it. Take a leap of faith and try, the worst thing that can happen is a fuse gets blown, replace it and toss the scanner in the bin.