Don't under rate the Avalon - you'll be making a BIG mistake

avalon

post-2596-1156465803_thumb.jpg

G'day. I have just purchased a 2000 Avalon CSX for under $10K. Before you laugh, take one for a good spin.

I am amazed! The Avalon is QUICK, and easily keeps up with a 3.5 litre Magna. It will leave a 3.8 litre Commodore for dust, and has a bucket-load of front, rear and boot room.

Yes, the interior is plain, but can be easily jazzed up. Yes, the body design originated in 1995 in the USA, but all the bugs have been ironed out. It now looks similar to the Lexus LS420, and is rock solid.

Throw some nice 16" or 17" rims on it, have it slightly lowered, add a bit of Sportivo gear, and it would have to be one of the best buys around.

Don't take my word - go and try one. You will be surprised!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by avalon

• 2 weeks later...

post-2596-1156465803_thumb.jpg

G'day. I have just purchased a 2000 Avalon CSX for under $10K. Before you laugh, take one for a good spin.

I am amazed! The Avalon is QUICK, and easily keeps up with a 3.5 litre Magna. It will leave a 3.8 litre Commodore for dust, and has a bucket-load of front, rear and boot room.

Yes, the interior is plain, but can be easily jazzed up. Yes, the body design originated in 1995 in the USA, but all the bugs have been ironed out. It now looks similar to the Lexus LS420, and is rock solid.

Throw some nice 16" or 17" rims on it, have it slightly lowered, add a bit of Sportivo gear, and it would have to be one of the best buys around.

Don't take my word - go and try one. You will be surprised!

Cheers

Dave

Haha, mate, you're fuc*ing kidding. An Avalon (and V6 Camry for that matter) has NO CHANCE against any Ecotec Commodore. It might have something to do with the fact there's nearly a litre more capacity, and at least 30Nm more torque compared to the Toyota's 3.0L mill.

So, in summary, compared to the two cars you've mentioned, the Avalon is SLOW.

And mate I'm not knocking that decision. Toyotas are brilliant. You can thrash it until the cows come home with sick Falcons and Commodores, because it won't die. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. I'm merely posting my experiences against competitors cars. :)

I drive a 3.0L Camry, mechanically the same but for a power deficit of a whole 5kw, and similar weights. It gets owned by Commodores.

I also drive a 3.0L Camry (1MZ-FE) and I think it really comes down to how the engine is tuned and what trans it is mated to it. I could be very wrong, but Commos and Falcons have good torque down low so a long 1st gear won't matter as it is 'cleverly' disguised by the torque.

The 3.0L mill has good mid-range torque and when mated to the four-speeder with a long 1st gear (compared to the current Corolla four-speeder - 2.something vs 3.something), it is a little slow so you have to 'punch it' to get somewhere.

Just my two cents...

-m_luke

Sorry I don't think an Avalon can outperform a Commodore.

Having driven my uncles conquest Avalon and an many Commodores with the ECOTEC engine (Calais, Executive, Berlina)... it just isn't as quick on the straight. I was surprised at how smooth the Avalon is in its power output but against a 3.8l engine... I can't see it being quicker. Certaintly didn't seem or feel quicker.

I dont knwo what egine it was,

But i drove my dads 99 camry touring and gteched it for quarter mile. I was doing consistant 15.9 16.0

Now ive seen stock v6 commos doing the exact same times at wsid. (Anything vt and older) so for the time i'd say the camry touring was right up there for speed with the vt commo.

Not sure if any of the avalons have the same engine though. Also the camry was 5 speed manual and most commos are auto.

I think if u got the 1MZ-FE with a manaul vs a Vt commo auto the camry will just win.

Cheers

Edited by SyxXPaC

Update i just look up the figures

The camry 3.0 actualy has a better power to weight ratio then the 99 vt commo

Commo

power to weight ratio (horsepower:pounds) = 0.056880900771451

Camry

power to weight ratio (horsepower:pounds) = 0.060441939172425

This is from the figures in redbook. Even says 0-100 is faster in the camry??

1999 TOYOTA CAMRY

Engine Code 1MZ-FE

Power 141kW @ 5200rpm

Torque 279Nm @ 4400rpm-4400rpm

Acceleration 0-100Km/h 8.9 secs

Kerb Weight 1419kg

1999 HOLDEN COMMODORE

ECOTEC

Power 147kW @ 5200rpm

Torque 304Nm @ 3600rpm-3600rpm

Acceleration 0-100Km/h 9.3 secs

Kerb Weight 1596kg

Edited by SyxXPaC

• 3 weeks later...

I use to own a 1995 Vienta Touring Manual V6. Commo's had trouble keeping up. Ran high 15's down the quarter to long ago to remember exactly.... Sorry.

Godmother still owns a 95 vienta. The thing hauls from 3,000 rpm on to 6,000 odd. It doesn't stop either. Impressive motor. Quadcam > pushrods lol

Can't wait to see the turbo option. The Toyota 3 litre motor is a gem, and already has quad cams.

Cheers

Dave

Bilal is putting a quad cam turbo in the Avalon...more to come.

my parents have an avalon at home..not sure if its 2000 or 2001 model. But anyway, i would have to agree with everyone else that it would get owned by a comms and falcons. It can be quick, but its not that quick...

agree with ya der. figures dont mean anything. avalon would get owned by commodore and falcons.

The vienta is the only thing to really give commies and falcons a hard time. I'm still a fan of that quad cam. I've seen a turbo job here in canberra. Gold vienta w. kit etc. Thing even rapes it's fair share of hotted up skylines etc. There's potential, but the costs are high. This guy just liked the idea of having a shmick looking camry with a stupidly powerful motor lol.

• 3 months later...

also depends on driver as well. i bet a old school ford v6 with my camry sportivo late 06model, and the guy couldnt believe it. but i suppose, its twin cam mang :D

i cannot believe this... i don't know about avalons or vientas... but i have a 2.0L 4pot SV21 auto at 1150kg... all fully stock around 90kw at the flywheel... and i REGULARLY i repeat REGULARLY rip 6cyl commodores and falcons... i'v even ripped models up to 2000... well i didn't "rip" them but i did beat them... as for VLs they are NOTHING... keep in mind i'm not talking about the VLturbo. the only time that i have been ripped was by a 2005 model clubsport

my 2cents