whats that white container under the battery?

ok after a inspecting the stock air intake, ive noticed a white plastic container somehow connected to the black pipe connected to the stock air filter box.

i checked the corolla mechanics manual and the diagrams in there dont even acknowledge the black pipe or the white box situated underneith the battery!

page 14-3 of the toyota corolla repair manual

ive edited the image due to attachment size restraints 4 this post, but as you would be able to see below the "air cleaner case", nothing in the diagram depicts the pipe or the mysterious white box that ive found in my conquest.

does anyone know what this white plastic box/container is?

due to the lower position of the white box in connection with the way the black plastic air intake pipe twists round, im guessing that the white box somehow collects water that somehow gets into the pipe before it could reach the air filter.

chances are im wrong on this guess so does anyone know what the box is?

your pretty much on the money, the white box only comes on the 1zz-fe corollas the 2zz-ge's dont get it. i have some pics somwhere of my 1zz with the bumper off ill try post them up tomorrow ( on my laptop atm )

your pretty much on the money, the white box only comes on the 1zz-fe corollas the 2zz-ge's dont get it. i have some pics somwhere of my 1zz with the bumper off ill try post them up tomorrow ( on my laptop atm )

thankx 4 the feedback!

im currently in the planning stages of making a DIY intake much like Bitracer'z intake mod... his mod seems to have made some good improvements and for the money he spent doing it, i thought why not?!

The 'White Box' is an intake resonator, it's designed to make the intake sound quieter on 1zz's to meet ADR regs. 2zz's don't have it because the motor comes under a different classification that allows from more intake noise.

If you completely remove your intake snorkle from the airbox, you by-pass this and give your engine more response and a much nicer intake noise.

The problem that you then face after removing the intake snorkel, is hot air from the engine bay going into the engine...which of course is not desirable. Placing a larger cold air feed to the stock air box is one thing you can try, which I'm assuming is the DIY intake you are trying to achieve.

My problem is how people keep putting a hose in front of say an unsealed SRI, to be honest I don't believe it will provide any noticeble benefit unless its sealed. Goodluck with the DIY, I'm going to give it a try one day in the near future.

Cheers

With the placement of the original intake snorkle, Although close to the bonnet line, it's still sucking in air mostly from the engine bay, especially being up high.

Removing the snorkle, the engine is then feeding from below the fuse box which is much the same thing. I tried with a pipe running below the headlight and the engine is far more responsive with no snorkle or pipe.

Increased response with out the pipe or snorkel is expected, as the distance required for the air to travel is much shorter...the only problem then might probably a slightly lower power output. Anyways besides the added benefit of more power, isn't cooler air better for the engine generally anyway?

The 'White Box' is an intake resonator, it's designed to make the intake sound quieter on 1zz's to meet ADR regs.

so this intake resonator acts sort of like a muffler on the exhaust?

yea im kinda considering doing what Bitracer did on his intake, and for me.. that involves taking that white box out

The 'White Box' is an intake resonator, it's designed to make the intake sound quieter on 1zz's to meet ADR regs.

yea im kinda considering doing what Bitracer did on his intake, and for me.. that involves taking that white box out

That's right.

If you want to see how it goes without going to the trouble of removing the resonator (and then having to put it back in if you're not happy with it), simply remove your snorkle (It's easily done with the battery removed) and go for a drive.

If you like it, then complete the Job to how Bitracer has done. If not then you have only removed the snorkle and not the resonator as well.

That's right.

If you want to see how it goes without going to the trouble of removing the resonator (and then having to put it back in if you're not happy with it), simply remove your snorkle (It's easily done with the battery removed) and go for a drive.

If you like it, then complete the Job to how Bitracer has done. If not then you have only removed the snorkle and not the resonator as well.

sound like good advice...

will do that when i got the time!

thanx a lot IZZ-FE!

If you want a bit of noise and better throttle response then remove the snorkle by all means. Personally I like the noise of the airbox without the snorkle over a CAI. Remember to post some pictures of your setup when your doing it.

Cheers

nice 1 fellaz...

didnt consider just taking out the snorkel but yea... ill wait til thursday if im not so busy..

if i can tolerate the noise then ill go forth with the DIY intake.

police arent going 2 pull me over for noisy intake, right?! i mean with that intake resonator out, they cant be certain that im breaking any regulations with the flexitube in place instead of the stock snorkel.. and since id still be using the stock filter & box it wouldnt be considered defect like a CAI podfilter yea?

Not at all.

More than anything, it's not so much the the volume that changes, it's more the tone of the intake sound. It's sounds far more ballsy.

Idle to 2500rpm it sounds no different, from there onwards you'll hear the difference.

When you do it your fuel consumption will increase for the first week or two, because you keep putting your foot down to hear it :D

Can't really hear it outside with the snorkel off, now a CAI is what might be of concern when it comes to noise. I went through this short tunnel last time, 1st gear, 4K-6K...it echoed through the whole tunnel, sounded really awesome!!. You'll be able to live with the DIY intake, but I'm not so sure with a CAI...I don't think I could live with mine for everyday driving. LOL

Cheers

i was driving without the resonator for 2 years. i used to tell izzfe to do it and he was always too busy to do it. i totally removed the snorkel up to the airbox. i had lightweight piping to make a feed for cold air but i never got around to adding it. i liked the response of this mod but after 2 years put the resonator back in as i had a feeling the fuel economy dropped because of it.

once i sent my car to toyota to test the fuel economy and i wonder if they really did the test because they never said anything about the part missing from the intake. i wonder if they checked if the intake was intact before running the test and giving me the report.

it can be hard to remove the resonator because of not much space to put your hands into unless you go to the extra trouble of removing the front bar to make more space. the fastest way to remove the resonator is the cut the plastic arm off the resonator using a mini hacksaw or blade (with edge for cutting wood) and unbolt the remaining 2 bolts. you can still install the resonator again because the 2 bolts can secure it instead of 3 the third which was chopped off.

Edited by kcorro

Unclip the underbody panels, and part of the bumper bar for easier access. I have quite large hands (not too big though), but without unclipping the bumper bar it was impossible for me to remove. I tried for about nearly 2 hours, but gave up and unclipped the bumper bar. Makes the whole process much easier. Try not to cut it off if possible.

yea i dont see much room for me to get my hands under there.

wont be doing this mod 4 a while since i got 6 big assignments due over the next 2-4 weeks for uni...

of course i havent started most of them coz im fcuking round with my damn corolla!

muahahhaa prioritiez suck....

• 3 weeks later...

I guess you have already tried searching before posting. There are three bolts, well two and the other one is kinda like a bolt I guess. One can be accessed from behind the front left hand side tyre. The other two reside inside the bumper. Remove the underbody panels and have a good look around. Remember its three. I found that it was easier to remove if you unclip part of your left hand side front bumper. Trying to get to it through the fog light cover never worked for me, cut myself trying to be lazy.