How to DIY install extractors on 2zz?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i jacked it up and put 2 wheels under each wheel, took me a little while but i had toyota related issues, should only take few hrs.

Did u reuse the gaskets or buy new ones? if so how much are they?

Did u do everything from under the car? cuz i noticed there isnt much room uptop

re used both gaskets and there is few bolts you have to undo along the top of the headders/heat shield appart from that its all under the car.

Is there much to gain in getting a good set of headers? or would my money be better spent on getting a cat back? i have heard the CES is good. They just port and polish and ceramic coat the stock headers dont they?

re used both gaskets and there is few bolts you have to undo along the top of the headders/heat shield appart from that its all under the car.

Is there much to gain in getting a good set of headers? or would my money be better spent on getting a cat back? i have heard the CES is good. They just port and polish and ceramic coat the stock headers dont they?

CES Catback is a good choice, the CES headders fill the gap in the low-mid range even more just makes the car easier to drive even more again.

CES Catback is a good choice, the CES headders fill the gap in the low-mid range even more just makes the car easier to drive even more again.

How much power increase can i expect from a Catback and Headers from CES? i also have a TRD CAI with a K&N filter

Roughly about a 9-15kw gain depending on the car. Toyota's build tolerances on the Sportivo are very wide so some cars gain more than others but all do gain much needed torque and also peak power.

My car with TRD CAI, CES headers and CES cat back made 118kw atw at the last CES dyno day about 2 weeks ago.

Roughly about a 9-15kw gain depending on the car. Toyota's build tolerances on the Sportivo are very wide so some cars gain more than others but all do gain much needed torque and also peak power.

My car with TRD CAI, CES headers and CES cat back made 118kw atw at the last CES dyno day about 2 weeks ago.

Do CES hav a workshop in sydney? and how much for headers + catback?

Take your headers off, port them out, get a catback mandrel exhaust made.

You should have a fair amount of change left from $600.

Edit:

If you wanted even better gains, get the pressed toyota collector at the end of the headers replaced with a nice merge collector, that will really help the exhaust gas flow and power. An example of good merge collectors can be seen here: http://www.burnsstainless.com/MergeCollect...collectors.html

Edited by rollamods

I replaced my extractors DIY..me and my mate...

took us 3 hours...2 to take the old ones off and 1 to put the new ones on

replaced the old gasket with a new one..(new gasket was hard to find..rang up 4 toyota parts places)

Had to pull them out from the top of the engine...

there is a pain in the ***** heat shield in the way that has to be removed before getting to the bolts for the extractors...

i was gona take pics but forgot the camera..

Was this dyno done on the same day and tied down to the dyno the same way and same force??

Same dyno but 15 odd months apart plus Apexi safc installed and set to who knows what??

Far too many variables to blame one particular thing :o

Yet again Rollamods your talking about yourself and your tools doing a job that nearly 90% of people on here could not do or do successfully. You should know better than to put ideas into peoples heads that could see them injurying themselves badly.

Shure wouldn't like that hanging over my head :(

Was this dyno done on the same day and tied down to the dyno the same way and same force??

Same dyno but 15 odd months apart plus Apexi safc installed and set to who knows what??

Yet again Rollamods your talking about yourself and your tools doing a job that nearly 90% of people on here could not do or do successfully. You should know better than to put ideas into peoples heads that could see them injurying themselves badly.

Apexi Safc yes is installed and is running stock everything thank you very much.. yes same dyno and funnily enough 4 degrees colder on this test date compared to the 15mnth ago dyno day... anything else?

explain my dyno curve

Edited by sportiv

Apexi Safc yes is installed and is running stock everything thank you very much.. yes same dyno and funnily enough 4 degrees colder on this test date compared to the 15mnth ago dyno day... anything else?

explain my dyno curve

excuse my noobness, but what is SAFC? ive searched but couldnt find anything

If Northy can replace his own headers, anyone can ;)

In terms of DIY replacement, the hardest part is the heatshields as mentioned above. A ratcheting ring spanner makes life a lot easier getting the heatshields on/off.

I know a few "non-DIY" people who have replaced their own headers with nothing more than basic hand tools and chassis stands. I was a little suprised when I heard they had done it themselves. I'd say doing the headers yourself is a lot safer than some of the DIY coilover installs I've heard about in Brisbane.

Once you have the headers off, take them to a shop and have them ported at the flange, and the collector replaced. Will cost SFA from most reputable shops, PM me if you want a good place in Brisbane to do the work (NOT my garage Silva :P, I've got too much other "performance" work booked in).

Put them back on the motor, take it to an exhaust shop and have the cat-back made. A flanged Mild-steel mandrel setup will set you back $400-500, or $450-700 in stainless depending on your choice of mufflers (Stainless doesn't cost much more than mild, the straight tube in 304 grade is only about $6-10/m depending on where it's sourced)

I'll take some photo's and write a DIY article for header replacement on the next ZZE corolla I work on, I've got one booked in late september at the moment.

purcell performance FTW!!

i have purcell performance:

- ported headers + changed collecter

- purcell performance catback

- purcell performance short shifter

and

- purcell performance CAI

now my mods have been released.. u know where to go guys if u wanna run a quick quarter ;)

but there is still a 1 mod that only few of you know about :ph34r:

just letting u guys know my car pulled 124fwkw on the dyno.

back to the topic, removing the headers is a piece of cake

you need to remove..

i think 3 upper heatshield bolts

3 lower heatshield bolts

the engine mount(headers) bolts

and the headers itself which is from memory 8 bolts?

and remove the down pipe from the headers 2 bolts

then your ready to rock and roll

Edited by BanGn