read this quote

ralyrt

after reading this on the startlet, made me wonder what she actually done.

quote from http://www.austarletclub.com/forums/index....c=183&st=20

Guys, as for the sportivo, i have modified my inlet from air filter to cylinder head, major modified the throttle body and inlet manifold. Changed rear muffler to cannon. Has standard 2 1/4 inch exhaust. Using toyota communication software i modified my ecu after toyota aus. changed my computer from factory. Used to make 115kw at the wheels, now makes 125kw at the wheels. This will get your heads scratching - still using genuine air filter and air box .

Using toyota communication software i modified my ecu after toyota aus. changed my computer from factory.

these 2 statements contridict each other... I'm just confused as to what he as ACTUALLY done...

EDIT: alright I worked it out, he SOMEHOW, managed to retune the standard ECU after the recall. Can this be done, I though the MAPs were set?

Modified throttle body, I heard of people do that for not much gain at all.

Modified inlet manifold? What part did he modify? Plenum? runners? has he gone to quad throttle bodies?

Edited by Blue_Stivo

sounds like owning that starlet with all the driving space he has compressed his brain :lol: he makes no sense and contradicts his mods, until a dyno sheet sorry but i think his full of it. ECU can be re-mapped but its normally going to cost $$$ and the hp gains are always sketchy

after reading this on the startlet, made me wonder what she actually done.

quote from http://www.austarletclub.com/forums/index....c=183&st=20

Guys, as for the sportivo, i have modified my inlet from air filter to cylinder head, major modified the throttle body and inlet manifold. Changed rear muffler to cannon. Has standard 2 1/4 inch exhaust. Using toyota communication software i modified my ecu after toyota aus. changed my computer from factory. Used to make 115kw at the wheels, now makes 125kw at the wheels. This will get your heads scratching - still using genuine air filter and air box .

"i have modified my inlet from air filter to cylinder head" = Ok im guessing he means the connection from the stock air box to the throttle body or am i missing something ? if so ok even if its made bigger ok he can get more air through but see my last point below.

"major modified the throttle body" = ok so im guessing its been bored out again see last comment below

"major modified the inlet manifold" = hmmm maybe a hondata inlet manifold heatshield, coolant bypass ? not sure

"Changed rear muffler to cannon" = this is self explanitory

"Using toyota communication software i modified my ecu" = from my understanding/fiddling/research this leads me to believe this is not possible as the software on the ecu cannot be over written like on a honda or a nissan ... this is why they had to do a ecu "replacement" rather than a re-flash when they did the recall. For once toyota's thick headedness backfired on them and cost them dearly .....

"still using genuine air filter and air box" = This says to me he still has the mega restrictive pipe running around the battery. If this is the case no matter what mods he's done to the throttle body, intake manifold etc the thing aint going to be able to breath enough through that skinny twisty pipe for those mods to count.

And once again ill call the bluff of a dyno .... doesnt mean didly squat ..... my 2 cents worth ....

The ECU can be reprogrammed, just like any factory ECU. It's just that the dealers dont have the equipment required to reprogram them, and the market isn't there for someone to develop an aftermarket programming interface like ECUtek etc to work with the Toyota ECU's. As stated previously, dealer service departments can reflash the newer ECU's with maps provided by Toyota Japan etc. They can also modify the threasholds for some sensor values with their dealer interfaces etc.

There's a couple of hardcore DIY guys in Japan working on interfaces to reprogram the stock ECU, some companies replace the main eprom with a reflashed version. I had the websites to the DIY guys linked on another pc, but from memory one of them is named Kashima if anyone wants to go searching.