Fuel Economy from ya car

Blade Hunter

OK On Tuesday I put $30 in the tank which took me to half a tank. Since then I have driven Parramatta to Sydney via North Sydney and back 3 times, I am now on QTR of a tank.

It got me to thinking, lets have a competition, next time you fill the tank, reset your Odo and then take note of it AS SOON AS THE FUEL LIGHT COMES ON.

Then post your results in this thread, the winner doen't need a prize because they have already won by saving $$$ :).

Or if you prefer, we could all ignore this thread and just think that I am an idiot :).

Edited by Blade Hunter

Why save for???

drink up!!!!!!!!

Well with rising fuel prices and weddings to save for and house deposits to save for the choice is give my car a big drink and waste it through driving it hard or give my car and I both a drink and take it easy on the car :). This way we both drink up :)

Edited by Blade Hunter

Thats a great idea. If you decide to post your details, please note the fuel type you used.

I will fill up on Tue with Vortex, the next time I fill after that I will fill with Vortex 98 and see if there is a difference when my current driving style is "Just touch the accelerator and change gears at 3,000 RPM"

dont you think we should note which type of petrol and which petrol station as well? PULP works better then regular so yea... oilz aint oilz

Edited by Blade Hunter

What you need to do is fill the car to the first click push the ODO.

Then drive it until the light comes on. Fill it again to the first click and note how many litres (exactly) you put in and what the ODO reading is. This will give a fair range of driving for most.

Divide kilometres x the number of litres and the highest figure wins.

This is the only fair way the light is no acurate guage.

ie 590k/49litres = 12.04 kpl

Problem there is the "Click" is largely dependant on the angle of the nozzle and the bowser itself, sometimes I will be filling and it will click every 2 seconds, other times it goes all the way. The fuel light comes on when you have 50KM's left in your tank based on your current driving style.

I suppose it makes little difference when you refill really if you are taking note of the litres that go in and dividing by your K's so long as you filled it up originally.

Then drive it until the light comes on. Fill it again to the first click and note how many litres (exactly) you put in and what the ODO reading is. This will give a fair range of driving for most.

Edited by Blade Hunter

Problem there is the "Click" is largely dependant on the angle of the nozzle and the bowser itself, sometimes I will be filling and it will click every 2 seconds, other times it goes all the way. The fuel light comes on when you have 50KM's left in your tank based on your current driving style.

I suppose it makes little difference when you refill really if you are taking note of the litres that go in and dividing by your K's so long as you filled it up originally.

you are all drama queens why dont you just do what the first guy said and stop being ballbreakers angle of nozzle,fuel type, its the nerd in you wanting to calculate, just fill the car up and tell him when it hits reserve mine is always around 580 to 600 but i hardly thrash it

Edited by gengo

Correct the click bit is just to get everyone using the same (roughly) amount of petrol not just doing a 10k try hard fuel run.

On mine, the best I can achieve is approx 512km on a full tank, that's with the fuel light already on and the needle just above the first line above "E".

Auto?

I just got to 520km and the needle is just at 3/4 and I haven't been gentle lately. (BP Ultimate)

If we wish to discuss the semantics of such a test do we not have the right to do so without insult? on any test, you always need as much control over every part of the testing in order to gain accurate results.

Its amusing that you say to do what the first guy said when I am the first guy :).

you are all drama queens why dont you just do what the first guy said and stop being ballbreakers angle of nozzle,fuel type, its the nerd in you wanting to calculate, just fill the car up and tell him when it hits reserve mine is always around 580 to 600 but i hardly thrash it

Edited by Blade Hunter

The most I got from my Auto Corolla was 537KM, with the light coming on. That was running on Ultimate.

When I Filled from that red light it was about 43 liters. Which roughly equates to about 8L Per 100KM. So I still had around 10 liters left.

The normal 1zz engines have a 55 liter tank dont they?

instead of breaking the guys balls why not make it simple and submit when your reserve kiks in ,its the nerd in you all that wants to start calculating angles ,fuel type etc.mine comes on at 520 to 540

exactly nerd

Am I allowed to join in :P

760km for 50L going by the rules, and running on Optimax Extreme.

The new rule should be anyone but me can enter :lol:

I took a pic just before filling up last night. Was on target to beat my old record, but fuel was too cheap to miss out on. This is on a different tank to the 760km one ;)

odo.jpg

Edited by SuperDave

Which guys balls are we breaking? If people don't want to do this, guess what they will do...... they will not do it.

No one wants any angles, I believe you have misread. The point I made was that if you have the angle too sharp the bowser will cut out constantly, if someone manages to fit 55 Litres in the tank and another guy cuts out at 2 litres, this will produce completely innacurate results.

It is simple, fuel type, how many K's you travelled, how many litres. I fail to see a) the ball breaking and b ) why you find this so difficult and c) why you are submitting results on a test you have clearly shown a dislike for.

instead of breaking the guys balls why not make it simple and submit when your reserve kiks in ,its the nerd in you all that wants to start calculating angles ,fuel type etc.mine comes on at 520 to 540

Do you find that using a 98RON fule does increase the fuel economy over a 95 RON fuel? While the 98 gives the car a bit more poke, if you are using a "just touch the accelerator" driving style would it make a difference? I have often wondered this.

Am I allowed to join in :P

760km for 50L going by the rules, and running on Optimax Extreme.

The new rule should be anyone but me can enter :lol:

I took a pic just before filling up last night. Was on target to beat my old record, but fuel was too cheap to miss out on. This is on a different tank to the 760km one ;)

odo.jpg

Edited by Blade Hunter

I dotn find any fuel economy difference between BP Ultimate and normal BP Unleaded.

Both range form around 7.3 to 8L to 100KM's.

I always put my fuel fillup in a speadsheet to see how im going since I bought my car.

fuelye9.th.jpg

Nice one, its interesting to see the fuel price change over the 6 months you have been keeping records.

I dotn find any fuel economy difference between BP Ultimate and normal BP Unleaded.

Both range form around 7.3 to 8L to 100KM's.

I always put my fuel fillup in a speadsheet to see how im going since I bought my car.

fuelye9.th.jpg

I see anywhere from 490km to 525km before the fuel light comes on. This in a manual 1zz. Fuel economy does not seem to differ according to fuel, be it 91, 95 or 98. This might have something to do with me driving only in the city with maybe one trip a month on the freeway.

The rolla does start better on 95 and up.

Do you find that using a 98RON fuel does increase the fuel economy over a 95 RON fuel? While the 98 gives the car a bit more poke, if you are using a "just touch the accelerator" driving style would it make a difference? I have often wondered this.

If you are referring to me, I can't run lower than 98 due to owning a Sportivo. But the difference between Shell 98 and 100 for me is between 5-8% better range from the 100.

Also most of my driving is done at 80 or 100km/h. Only do 1 or 2 peak hour trips per tank and Brisbane wouldn't be as bad as Sydney or Melbourne.

Edited by SuperDave

On mine, the best I can achieve is approx 512km on a full tank, that's with the fuel light already on and the needle just above the first line above "E".

Auto?

I just got to 520km and the needle is just at 3/4 and I haven't been gentle lately. (BP Ultimate)

Manual, running on regular unleaded. I could achieve more with Ultimate / Optimax fuel but couldn't afford it for now.