Camcon Controller

jade

hi all....

some of you might know that i have been considering a camcon controller for my car.... phoned a supplier this morning to get a price and order if the price was right.... only to be told that he wouldnt recommend one for my car..... a 1zz..... but he was trying to sell me apexi safc........

has anyone got the camcon in their car and are happy with it???

also, he told me that the standard computer can override the camcon settings.... i have looked at the wiring diagram and i dont see how it can happen, the camcon is wired in after the stock ecu...... anyone had any experiece with this????

basically, i am at my wits end.... i have done heaps of research, ruling out other alternatives and deciding on the camcon, only to be told by the bloke that sells them that they arent that crash hot....

your thoughts????

Tell him to put a sock in it......ok I'm sorry, not meant to sound mean.

Selling you a SAFC while telling you that the camcon will get its setting overriden?? The sad fact is that any type of piggyback will get overriden with the 1zzfe ecu overtime....it won't happen straight away...but it will eventually.

If I'm not wrong the CAMCON does control A/F and also VVTI settings, problem is finding the right settings I suppose. Have you been over to www.9thgencorolla.com? the people over there are reporting quite nice things about that little black box.

When you think about it, If you leave the CAMCON permenantly on then the ECU will slowly correct the settings overtime, but once you turn it off....won't it revert back to normal?

Edited by Suprathai

I've heard many stories that camcon and apexi safc get overriden. But only have had proof that the apexi safc gets overridden by stock ecu. Everyone who say that camcon loses it setting to stock ecu are those who don't use it and those who say all piggyback get overriden.

Personally, all load of bs. Safc will work when set to turn on after 75% throttle, closed loop i think it was.

And camcon, vvti setting definately will stay, that is a definate. Although a/f setting can be debatable whether it'll stay or not. But with camcon, you can turn it on and off when you need and the settings shouldn't be overriden if you use it that way.

hi all....

some of you might know that i have been considering a camcon controller for my car.... phoned a supplier this morning to get a price and order if the price was right.... only to be told that he wouldnt recommend one for my car..... a 1zz..... but he was trying to sell me apexi safc........

has anyone got the camcon in their car and are happy with it???

also, he told me that the standard computer can override the camcon settings.... i have looked at the wiring diagram and i dont see how it can happen, the camcon is wired in after the stock ecu...... anyone had any experiece with this????

basically, i am at my wits end.... i have done heaps of research, ruling out other alternatives and deciding on the camcon, only to be told by the bloke that sells them that they arent that crash hot....

your thoughts????

You could just reset the ECU every couple of months or sumfin (is this bad for your ECU (resetting it fairly often)???) :huh:

Edited by grima88

Well.....The CAMCON has got to be one of the better ECU mods that can be done to the 1zz-fe other than say a E-manage in terms of piggy backs. I had one of the first units sent for POWERENTERPRISE in Japan and we tested it to see just how good it was. It was very impressive in all aspects and scored very well in a test done in conjunction with AUTOSALON MAGAZINE. We made impressive gains and it was also very user friendly! :) We pushed the unit to its limit and was able to use and maintain the unit's maxium levels of adjustment; that being 20 degrees(+) timming on the cam. The A/F ratios were also very easy to match with the ammount of adjustment on the timming i maintained a PERFECT Stiochiometric ratio throughout the entire rev range even coming back down to idle, i was also able to get the little auto 1zz-fe reving out to redline through 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gears!

** IN NO WAY DID THE STD ECU EVER SHOW ANY SIGNS OF "LEARNING" OVER MY ADJUSTED SETTINGS!**

** IN NO WAY WERE THE SETTINGS EVER LOST EITHER I HAD DISCONNECTED MY BATTERY MANY TIMES TO DO WORK TO MY STEREO...THIS HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE CANNOT READ INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PROPERLY OR ARE NOT VERY EXPERIENED AT AUTO ELECTRICAL INSTALLS- I HAVE ONLY HEARD THIS PROBLEM HAPPEN TO GUYS IN THE U.S.A MAYBE ITS THEIR ECU'S?!**

And of course you can turn it off when ever you want but to be honest the fuel economy was much better when the CAMCON was "ON" even with alittle bit of spirited driving thrown in the mix!!! :D I would be the first to personally suggest this product!! In the beginning i was very skeptical of if it would work but back at that stage there was no other options available to me which i knew had been designed for our 1zz-fe engines! :toast: If you need settings on what mine were PM me mate!

Edited by "RuNx"

if you're too agressive with the timing advance the stock knock sensor will pick up the problems and pull all the stock ECU's advance out to protect the motor. The only way you can see this is with a scantool which allows you to monitor the stock ECU's ignition timing and knock level. If you're trying to put in 20deg of timing in the top end when the motors running say 30-40deg advance, if there is any knock (inaudible, you'd be suprised how early the stock ECU picks it up), the ECU will pull out ALL of it's own advance and you will then be running the 20deg of advance your piggyback is putting in instead of the 30-40 the stock ECU would be doing by itself.

I've not seen a knock supressor that works well on toyota knock sensors with piggybacks to date. There are SFA gains to be made on the 1ZZ's with AFR tuning, 3-4kw at best.

Edited by rollamods

The guys in the U.Sthat have had their camcons dynoed have got gains with intake and exhuast of on average 19Hp and 18nm tourque at peak power with better ioncreases down low. In sayign that, a power FC should do alot mor ean dalow you to ajust the rev limiter which i seem to hit every day :P

• 4 weeks later...

YAY! it arrived today..... got a price for extractors yesterday.... just wondering, how much did everyone else pay for their wildcat 4-2-1 extractors?? is 300 unfitted a good price???

will order the extractors once i know that i am not being ripped off, and then get them fitted, and book the car in with my dyno man....

this is so exciting!!!