airbox

oncy

wassup ppl

did a quick search didnt find ne thing

but

has neone replaced the stock panel filter with aftermarket and drilled wholes in the air box ??

if ne one was done it .... was it worth doing ?? ne improvment ??

cheers for ne feedback

Could tell you to get a CAI, but I'm sure your not after that.

I don't think it makes a big enough difference to warrant destroying your airbox. Just remove the snorkel and enjoy the sound. If you drill the box you will get much a throatier sound and better throttle response but thats about it, I doubt you'll get any more noticeble power. I think there is a member here that actually removed the bottom half of the box and used some foil and zip ties to secure the filter and upper air box assembly, can't remember who though.

yeh ive done that already the sounds noice

but i was only curious as ive heard other ppl doing this kind of thing to older cars ....

not too sure what the effects would be to the sportivo

ne ways thanx for your thoughts

I'm not sure if anyone has actually performed proper research into the removal of the snorkel and its effect on the overall performance of the vehicle. The resonator and inlet tract of the snorkel is not just to reduce the noise and comply with design regulations but in some cases help the engine perform better. The only example that I know of is adeversely affected is the Lancers, and my friend confirmed it by experimenting. Somewhere illustrated a loss of about 5kw and bunch of torque down low at the wheels which is alot for a car that puts out around 60 odd KW at the wheels.

No bad reports with the 2zzge though

Edited by Suprathai

I have a before and after dyno of removing the snorkle.

The car gained a massive 1.5kw ATW from the mod.

But the AFR was smoother AND the engine came on power earlier (ie the graph moved to the left), showing the car has a bit more bottem end from simply removing the snorkle and by-passing the resonator. In this car, the resonator is solely to reduce intake noise.

Which side of the airbox are you planning to drill holes in?

If its the bottom why? It opens up completely under lift. If its the top wont it start sucking stuff into your engine?

My Advice - For the sportivo get a CAI. u can get a really good one landed here for around $350 and makes a world of difference.

I agree with Micky, for the bull sh!t you go through removing parts of the airbox snorkel and then the time and ebergy used working out what to do, there are plenty of CAI options there for not too much moolah which will out perform any air box modification you can do.

All the CAI's available (AEM, TRD, CES & INjen) are usually not going to set you back much more than $350 - $450 depending on supplier.

By doing it this way, its easier to return your car to stock should you need to make a dreaded warranty claim of on-sell the car...

i havent thought about doing just curious

but if i were to drill some holes it would be next to where the snorkel connects to the box

so it wont b sucking in as much hot air ...

yeh im just povo at the moment so just looking for cheap alternatives

Drilling any holed in the system is going to allow warmer air into the intake, lowering performance.

If you want pov mods, you'd be best to remove the stock snorkel system, and fitting a length of ag-pipe straight dowwn from the airbox to just underneath the front skirt, and modify a decent size funnel/trix bottle to go onto the end of it to help guide the air in.

You'll see this mod on heas of N14 & N15 pulsars...

Cheap, and your not ruining your standard components....

the CAI is just louder

but if there is not much difference between a modded box with a air feed from the grill to a CAI

i think ill stick to the air box since im so pov lol....

have you driven a rolla with a CAI?

they dont use aluminium for looks and fun you know.

the CAI is just louder

but if there is not much difference between a modded box with a air feed from the grill to a CAI

i think ill stick to the air box since im so pov lol....

Tip for young players ...

Read, Interpret and next time, please search before you make comments like these ..Obviously dyno's are merely bench marking tools, but hopefully u'll get the drift

you all jump on my *****

but im just refering to what mx83toy said

im pov so i wont b gettin the CAI yet

Don't worry about it mate.

My advise is try the drilled air box solution and then if you dont like it then get a CAI. Keep in mind CAI does cost $350.

Sometimes it's all about trial and error. What works for someone does not alway mean it would work for all.

Example look at Xoom he is doing monsterous work on his car which is fantastic :clap::clap::clap::toast::toast::toast: but I personally would not goto that much trouble.

Also because I don't have the expertise and time to do what he is doing.

I've gone the other way and have moved from a modified airbox to a TRD CAI. I figured I should get one of these before TRD USA stop making them... LOL.

One things for sure, the CAI isn't coming off anytime soon because it has made a noticeable difference. :yahoo:

wassup ppl

did a quick search didnt find ne thing

but

has neone replaced the stock panel filter with aftermarket and drilled wholes in the air box ??

if ne one was done it .... was it worth doing ?? ne improvment ??

cheers for ne feedback

Just remove the snorkle, there is a difference over stock and it costs you nada

BTW, DON'T Butcher your stock airbox (Drill or Cutout holes) unless you have a spare. Toyota only sells the Airbox parts as a complete assembly for $400!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by IZZ-FE

"BTW, DON'T Butcher your stock airbox (Drill or Cutout holes) unless you have a spare. Toyota only sells the Airbox parts as a complete assembly for $400!!!!!!!!!!!"

HAHA yeh fair enuff

mite get me the cai when i can ..... thanx for da 2 cents