Driving with A/C on

JAZE55

I just wanted to ask others that with the A/C on do you find it more difficult to drive smoothly. For some reason I do, the car seems to require more revs for it to change gears smoothly. Without the A/C on I drive very smoothly, almost like an auto Ive been complemented :P .

But in all seriousness am I the only one??? :blink: Or do others also experience this phenomenon ahah :P

no probs here. I love the aircon and in my camry, the dominos echo and yaris, it feels fine.

(my car is manual, doms cars auto)

I only notice when the fridge / compressor turns on in my car coz it makes funny noise :S

Yeah - Ive got the 1zz Levin and can feel the diff with the air con running. In fact, if I'm sitting at the lights with the foot brake on and the air con compressor kicks in, the brake pedal drops a little lower....hmmmm ?!?!?!

Otherwise drives fine, but with a little extra stick required........if I wanna accelerate up a hill on the freeway or overtake with a little extra donk, I switch off the aircon to take the extra belt drive out of the equation - afterall - its not a V6 or V8.

yep A/C does change things slightly when i drive...

i was thinking it had something to do with the electricz..

could it be something to do wiht the battery maybe? like its time to recharge/get a new one?

coz my family has an old hiace... (work van)

when the battery waz low, we gotta make sure the interior lights, the headlights, aircon and radio are all OFF to make sure the thing can crank when we turn the key!?!

also... was thinking bout when my sub is on and the stereo is up at night.... the headlights dim slightly when the bass hits.. apparently that could be fixed by installing a capacitor?

are these sorts of issues somehow linked to the batteriez charge? or is the A/C issue more of an engine thing?

just speculating atm... unless a more educated forum member can explain this A/C phenomenon

Edited by JJCRU23R

Your air con compressor is run off the engine, so therefore turning your AC off, will obviously help the car run slightly better as the engine isn't being raped of RPM to satisfy the driver's comfort.

In saying that though, we are only talking about a couple of hundred RPM....perhaps not too noticable really unless you are idling. I honestly cant say I have noticed any difference in my car.

As jase said, when the battery is low, turning AC off, as well as the radio, lights etc will help the car kick over because all these drain battery power.

Should we all turn our AC off so our cars go faster....I wouldn't

Cheers

Aaron

I do notice a little performance drop when I have the AC on, but not enough to cause concern.

But when im ideling for a whie I do notice that the engine does sound different at times.

Your air con compressor is run off the engine, so therefore turning your AC off, will obviously help the car run slightly better as the engine isn't being raped of RPM to satisfy the driver's comfort.

In saying that though, we are only talking about a couple of hundred RPM....perhaps not too noticable really unless you are idling. I honestly cant say I have noticed any difference in my car.

As jase said, when the battery is low, turning AC off, as well as the radio, lights etc will help the car kick over because all these drain battery power.

Cheers

Aaron

Very good choice of words Aaron :toast: This is a 'problem' with most small cars - as is the engagmenet of electric windows, once they go up all the way, the interior/exterior lights dim (hehe Unless u have HID"s :D) In Daewoo's i.e. the Maitz, u have to turn the AC off if u wanna go up a hill, cause she won't play if u wanna stay cool :ph34r:

Sure turning on the AC will sap some power away from the car, but not too much i reckon - i guess it would only be important to make sure it's off when ur dynoing or on a track day. I'd personally deal with the slight power loss and stay nice and comfortable with the AC on :whistling:

Actually sounds like your driving any 2ZZ on the road...missing torque down low, inability to change gears....lol

Nah, in all seriousness, not being able to change gears when at speed will have nothing to do with the electrical power of the car.

Generally take off should not be impacted on either with poor electricals.

Usually, if you rgrounding is not efficient or your battery is tired, you will find that the car will be harder to actually start, using the power windows will draw power and cause headlamp dimming as will using indicators. And you will usually only notice these things at night.

I have had an additional earthing wire fitted, which earths my batter to the same point my headlamps earth at, as well as upgrading the headlamp earth itself. I have found that my headlamps do not dim when my indicators are on like they use to. Perhaps cause i wear glasses, I notice this more.

Earthing kits will assist with ensuring that the cars overall electronics are getting the best possible grounding. You have to remember that when they wire these cars up at the factory, they do so with as few wires (and as thin) as possible, and have no intentions for additional things to be added. As soon as you install a new head unit, amp, HID's, neons....anything, you are deviating from the original blueprint for the elctricals, so therefore the stock wiring will not be sufficient or efficient...

Cheers

Aaron

Cheers

Aaron

Open it up a bit more Azz and you'll feel the difference. I had it on yesterday, hit the high cam and it was totally different. Felt like it was being choked. If I have the A/C on anyway it means in in chillout mode and i'm just crusing. If I wanted to have a spirited drive I'd have the windows down and A/C off. Only way to hear the motor well when the high cam kicks in :P

If I have the A/C on anyway it means in in chillout mode and i'm just crusing. If I wanted to have a spirited drive I'd have the windows down and A/C off. Only way to hear the motor well when the high cam kicks in :P

Seconded :toast:

also... was thinking bout when my sub is on and the stereo is up at night.... the headlights dim slightly when the bass hits.. apparently that could be fixed by installing a capacitor?

Hahahaha yeah this sounds familiar... I still wonder whether other drivers notice... Strobe effect anyone??

Hahahaha yeah this sounds familiar... I still wonder whether other drivers notice... Strobe effect anyone??

would be nice if someone could design a capacitor that actually looks like the FLUX CAPACITOR from back to the future...

alwayz wanted that car! or at least the flux capacitor anyway :))

the second pic is a prop you can get off ebay apparently... but its only a prop with strobe lights, no actual functionz...

Edited by JJCRU23R