Universal CAI?

selyaT

the only thing 3" pipe will give you on a SRI (or CAI in my opinion) is incorrect MAF readings. 2.75 is optimal for the best readings, and it's a lot easier for the engine to suck air through a short intake than it is through a long CAI. You will notice that the US celica guys using 3" pipes around their MAF's usually have to install an airflow straightener pre-maf to try and direct the air through the MAF properly. Some even made billet MAF housings with the straighteners machined in.

Yeah I've read about it before with the fact that a 3inch ID pipe will throw CEL on you. If I'm not wrong the CES CAI is 3 inch ID and I don't think they have run into much difficulty. Most of the US Celica guys hack the airbox to get the MAF sensor housing as they have straightners.

What I'm failing to understand to this day so far is if you do use the airbox MAF housing, then doesn't that become a restriction?? If so whats the point of getting a 3 inch ID pipe, when the MAF housing is like 2.75inch???

Is it possible to still run a 3inch ID pipe with straightners and not get CEL???

Cheers

yes, Weld in a straightener at the MAF section.

But what's the point when you dont have a 3" throttle body?

When I bother to setup my welding bench again I'll post up some pics of my "optimal" CAI for the 2ZZ and the SRI for the 1ZZ and 2ZZ. The 2ZZ item is different to all the CAI's you've seen so far

Edited by rollamods

I was thinking about that before, but forgot to mention it. IIRC the TB is only 58mm.

I think to properly find out how much restriction is present in the stock air intake system is to test it on a flow bench or would finding out the intake manifold pressure be better??

Has anyone had any in depth look of the intake manifold anyway?? I've read on 9th gen that the celica manifolds are better off the production line then the corollas.

you meant 2zz-ge manifold is better on celica than corolla?

I was told the same thing too from Meridian Motorsport. Then again, if you look carefully the manifold between celica 2zz-ge and corolla 2zz-ge is slightly different in its constructions and throttle body.

Exactly what I mean, but we are not saying a really big difference though. The only way for me to feel if this SRI has any kind of performance gain is by driving with it on for about a month and then converting it back to stock.

My goal at the moment with the sportivo is to get some more useable torque down low in the rpm range. Which would mean a SRI, Ported Headers with HPC and a Power FC.