2ZZ aftermarket ECU

the tuners dyno showed 119kw (although northy pipped me by 2kw's other results have shown that the blue bombshell still man handles the black turd hey corey :P :P :P :P :P) ..... the place where i base line dyno showed 124kw .... and for fun another run showed 128kw ... ALL where done on dyno dynamics dyno's in shootout mode .... nice big variance hey .... which figure 2 believe ?????? Hence my strong stance on dyno's not being a true measure of a cars capabilities .... but hey we've had that arguement before now havent we ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am involved in engine building and tuning for 3 Celicas in the APCC, 1 Corolla that we race at Nurburgring in the 24 hour race, 2 Lotus Exiges and 1 rally Corolla Sportivo. These cars use the 2ZZ-GE.

It is very important for performance to control the variable valve timing in closed loop. That is measuring the actual valve timing and tracking it using a Pulse Width Modulated output (PWM) using Proportional Integral and Derivative Gain (PID) control. Lower end aftermarket ECUs cannot handle this type of closed loop control and are at risk of delivering lower performance than standard.

The only ECUs that I really know can do this is the Motec M400/600/800 series. Others may but I am very unlikely to use them anyway.

We have 130kW at the hubs (Dynapack) DIN corrected for Temp Baro and Humidity on our "production" engines and 150kw ON OUR 1933cc strokers. Straight out of the box we get 110kW from Celicas before we play with them.

Neil

I would definitely not install the Piper cams on a production engine. That would be highly illegal.

I will be running the Piper Stage 2 cams in our Corolla Sportivo 1933cc engine on the dyno on saturday for the first time.

I have driven the car on the road and I feel that the transition to "lift" is much softer and early indications are that there are good gains from 4000 to 5500 RPM. Of course time will tell.

Watch this space.

Neil

Very interested to know the outcome of that. BE sure to keep us all informed :)

Sorry, didn't realise regulations do not allow modifications to the cam profile in GTP, but I should have guessed.

Out of interest what can be done and still be legal. Do you have a copy of the regulations or know where they are available from?

I look forward to seeing the Celicas out there again this year, hopefully the can go through the season incident free this year.

• 2 weeks later...

The 3zz ended up being a bit disappointing on saturday with peak power being 143kW.

The encouraging thing was that the power at 5500 RPM went from 130 to 150kW with the Piper cams installed.

Investigation of an occasional severe misfire that proved difficult to diagnose on Sunday turned out to be a faulty catalytic converter (Nurburgring 24 Hours rules require a cat). What had happened was that the cat internal matrix had melted and collapsed and had turned through 90 degrees almost completely blocking the exhaust.

143kW at the hubs is therefore not too bad with a blocked exhaust. I will have the car back on the Australian Defence Force Academy Dynapack Dyno later this month and will report my findings.

Neil

PS I checked my records and the power output of last years otherwise "standard" 3zz-ge was 140kW NOT 150kW as stated. I had 150kW in my head as that is what I was hoping to get on saturday.

Remember that hub dynos usually post slightly higher numbers, but have higher precision compared to your conventional dynos. Given that once you've got your baseline, its more accurate in measuring the difference then the dynos that most of us encounter.

So if we start off with a 110kw atw(baseline) to 150kw atw (with piper cams + Stoker kit)....we are looking at a 40kw increase........which would set if off to around 180kw (more due to inertial and heat loss actually) at the flywheel???? Is that about right, or am I off my head at the moment. Really shows the capability of the Motec ECU....damn.....but the price... :o

Edited by Suprathai