Latest Mod for Rattles

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know if any of you guys have had ur beasts in for the latest mod due to the gear selector cables rattles. Im booked in to get the latest fix for this with my 20K service but wanted to know if any of you guys have had it done yet ? Also do any of you guys know whats involved ?

I heard it requires for the whole dash to come out ? but im not sure. If its a full cable replacement does this mean the whole dash is coming out ?

Either way i am going to ring toyota closer to the date as last time i spoke to them they couldnt confirm what was involved in this latest mod. But they indicated people in melbourne have done it successfully so was it any of u guys ? or do u know what they are going to do this time ?

Cheers

hey xoom, did u have to notify them very early before your service so they could order the parts so it would be avaliable when u go in for your service? or can u just rock up and ask for the fix on the service day?

my 20,000/12 month service is due in about 2-3 weeks.

hi richi,

the parts are not yet available and it is still being confirmed if they are going to be in the country when i go in for my service as they are still being shipped over. I dont know how many are being shipped over either. I am guessing though it should be a reasonable amount. I know im getting it done as soon as the parts do come in due to the fact that ive been harasing them everyday for about 2 weeks. And they have told me it will be done on my car as soon as the parts are in the country. + the fact that i got them to organise it all with the dealership.

I only asked due to the fact that they indicated that they had tried these parts on some cars down in melbourne as a trial and it was successful.

I'd ring toyota directly if i was u and get confirmation from them and get them to organise which dealer to send the parts to and get them to contact that dealerships service dept to confirm that its all going to be done for you.

Hi all

Just some feedback on the gear cable rattle issue. TSA have confirmed that new level cables have been designed and will be available in October in South Africa for rollout to vehicles affected by the gear cable vibration issue. Vehicles will not be recalled but will be subject to the fieldfix on a complaint basis. The new cable no longer has inner metal sleeves. Furthermore, a new heavier gearknob (100g) will be supplied as part of the kit. The kit also includes a bracket mounted to the firewall.

The replacement of the gear cables does NOT require the removal of you dashboard. What does need to be removed is the silver panel around the gear lever. The centre consol (consol between the drivers seat) needs to also be removed. There is a computerbox ahead of the gearlever (once the consol is removed) that will also need to be removed. The excersise is not pleasant as the panels can be damaged during removal and refit if not looked after. Particular care should be taken when removing the center consol as it can scratch against the seatbelt bolts. The silver panel should be carefully stowed away to prevent scuffing during the fix.

guys! Just for your information. I bought my car end of January this year. it is actually an 03 plated car but i got it in jan. anyway, when i picked up the car, the first thing i noticed was the center silver panel under my shifter was not installed properly, one of the corners was not pushed into the clip. I just pushed it in and didn't make anything of it.

Now that i think about it, maybe i was one of the ones they tried the fix on. because i don't have any major rattles at all. I had a buzzing sound whilst in lift at one time but that's dissapeared. Maybe Toyota have known of the fix a while ago and where just finding a way to do recall in a cost effective way. Hmm <_<

guys! Just for your information. I bought my car end of January this year. it is actually an 03 plated car but i got it in jan. anyway, when i picked up the car, the first thing i noticed was the center silver panel under my shifter was not installed properly, one of the corners was not pushed into the clip. I just pushed it in and didn't make anything of it.

Now that i think about it, maybe i was one of the ones they tried the fix on. because i don't have any major rattles at all. I had a buzzing sound whilst in lift at one time but that's dissapeared. Maybe Toyota have known of the fix a while ago and where just finding a way to do recall in a cost effective way. Hmm  <_<

i have an 04 rolla and i have the rattle... so i'm not sure that its that.

... oh and not to mention that i am just starting to develop the rattle from the cover over the speedo which someone else has mentioned on here. lol *** damnit... is there a fix for that other than holding your hand on it? :P