Noob trying to drive 05 Stivo...

1. here is a link to the service manual page on how to do a clutch adjustment

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=2676

u can do it yourself but it is extremely hard... u need a really really stubby spanner and a sh!t load of patience.

2. whoever said that the adjustment changes the height of the pedal is completely wrong... how could changing the height of the pedal make any difference to the clutch itself? it makes no sense.

Read the document... the only thing that gets adjusted is the free play of the clutch, and also the free play of the pushrod. If you take your car to toyota and they make your clutch pedal higher, take it back and tell them not to be idiots and do it properly this time.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. here is a link to the service manual page on how to do a clutch adjustment

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=2676

u can do it yourself but it is extremely hard... u need a really really stubby spanner and a sh!t load of patience.

2. whoever said that the adjustment changes the height of the pedal is completely wrong... how could changing the height of the pedal make any difference to the clutch itself? it makes no sense.

Read the document... the only thing that gets adjusted is the free play of the clutch, and also the free play of the pushrod. If you take your car to toyota and they make your clutch pedal higher, take it back and tell them not to be idiots and do it properly this time.

The basic problem is that the pressure plate is not fully openning to allow easy shifts above 6000rpm, the adjustmnent in question is to adjust the clutch pedal push rod making it longer, the very act of making it longer will cause the pedal to slightly higher from the fire wall. Making the push rod longer and pedal higher provides for more dissengagement of the pressure plate when the pedal is pressed, check the diagram again, you'll see it, in step (a) and (B) it says adjust the pedal height. A lot of Sportivos were coming from the factory with the pedal height too low.

and please my Toyota mechanic is not an idiot.

I think it's simply a problem with the car.

It's like ordering something to eat and complaining because you don't like the taste - that's just how it comes. Pretty sure nearly everyone has had this problem. Clutch adjustment? I'm not so sure. Jeremy's 'box sounds a hell of a lot like Micky's and our white one, STi GUi yours sounds like our red one. The gearbox does not suit the engine, the disc rotors warp, there are a few ticks and bump noises when you're driving.... It's just the car. Want a cushy ride? Go then 1ZZ :)

well im only getting my car back in feb..yup..waiting for parts from japan..

guys..this clutch adjustment has to work cos im really getting scared...im not showing off here but i paid R205000 for my car +- 35344.82 aus.dollars..thats alot for me and the car only has 20 000km on now and the box is broken...

toyotas repairing it but if i dont find a solution im afraid that the box will break again...

Tayles......thanx...but we dont ve that option here in sa..the toyota performanced engines here are only the

2zzge

4age 20v

4agze (super charged)

well im gona try the clutch adjustment hopefully it works and thanx for all urls post it really helps..

thanx guys

dont mean too sound like a old fart too but if you do cain it too much you will eventually break something. I have payed the consequences for being inexperienced with my stivo and was lucky to be covered by warranty.

So if your going to hit lift like over a dozen times on a 30 min commute then i would suggest a HD clutch cause constant 1-2 "in lift" shifts will fry it. Other than that i did have the same issue with my 05' and normally toyota dont know it as a "clutch adjustment" at least thats what 3 service centres told me, its the free play you have in your clutch from engagement to the full release i had mine reduced an now i finally have perfect 1-2 shift in lift. Time for a drag again vvtlir (prob still kik my butt :lol: )

ahahha andre and vvtlir i remember we had a 3 way!! and i kicked both ur butts :P but i remeber u had THAT THING on!! remember THAT THING SUCKED BAD!! lol at least its gone now ehh :clap:

ps. sti gui should u even be hitting lift at such low kms??i heard it was bad for ur car thats all

Edited by KaZe-StiVo

Well our next service is in 1000kms or so... It's not at a Toyota Dealer though, but at an awesome mechanic that does all of our servicing... He even builds drag cars in his workshop as a hobby :D

Also... His brother in law has a Stivo so I reckon he might already know about the clutch problem and HOPEFULLY knows how to fix it... Fingers crossed ;)

Cheers :D

oh i miss read it i thought it was due for its 1000km service :P thats ok then hit lift all u want xD~

Ok... Had a look this morning (The Stivo is mine this week :D), and noticed that the Clutch pedal is basically at the same height as the Brake pedal... Anyone (whether you've had it adjusted or not) able to have a look at where there clutch pedal is compared with the brake pedal??? Just trying to see if the idea of actually rasing the clutch pedal is what they do to fix it... Also, if/when you post up what you've found, post whether you've had the problem fixed and how you had it fixed... i.e. New clutch, or clutch adjustment etc.

P.S.... Foruming SUCKS without a mouse...

Oh ok... Maybe you should just try hitting lift in 1st... Then you'll know for sure :P

Also, to anyone who's had it fixed properly... Does this get rid of the notchy feel in the gearbox for general shifting (up OR down gears)???

Edited by STi GUi

Also, to anyone who's had it fixed properly... Does this get rid of the notchy feel in the gearbox for general shifting (up OR down gears)???

no, that's just the way the gearbox is.

You can try changing the gear oil to Redline Super Lightweight Shockproof but it's expensive.

i went to chatswood and asked the guy about clutch adjustement and he drove the car and he shifted in lift so easily. i couldnt even go from 1st to 2nd when i bought it now its easy you just have to get used to it. now i gotta try n do 2nd to 3rd easy lol

Well our next service is in 1000kms or so... It's not at a Toyota Dealer though, but at an awesome mechanic that does all of our servicing... He even builds drag cars in his workshop as a hobby :D

Also... His brother in law has a Stivo so I reckon he might already know about the clutch problem and HOPEFULLY knows how to fix it... Fingers crossed ;)

oh i miss read it i thought it was due for its 1000km service :P thats ok then hit lift all u want xD~

Haha nah man... I'm not THAT stupid... I don't think I am anyways :P

You can try changing the gear oil to Redline Super Lightweight Shockproof but it's expensive.

Damn... That sucks :( How much would enough of that oil cost??? Ballpark figure is ok...

i went to chatswood and asked the guy about clutch adjustement and he drove the car and he shifted in lift so easily. i couldnt even go from 1st to 2nd when i bought it now its easy you just have to get used to it. now i gotta try n do 2nd to 3rd easy lol

WTF! Don't you hate that... I don't see how you can get used to something that just DOESN'T WORK... I better not get told that by the guy that I ask to do the adjustment... 1st to 2nd is the ONLY shift that sucks in lift... I'd like to see the mechanic try it... It simply DOES NOT BUDGE... 2nd to 3rd is easy and 3rd to 4th (only did it once...) was very easy as well...

Cheers guys :D

Damn... That sucks :( How much would enough of that oil cost??? Ballpark figure is ok...

looking at ~$100-120

looking at ~$100-120

Ok cool... After driving it all day today... I reckon it'll be worth forking out the dosh for some of that oil... Really needs it ;)