Wheels car of the year

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

Yeah the TRD Aurions ratio will be interesting. Rough comparison below between stock Aurion, TRD Aurion, XR6 Turbo (realistic competitor), VE SS (realistitc competitor) and HSV GTS (claimed competitor by the powers that be...although IMO out of its league, esp if it goes ahead with a FWD configuration in terms of handling ability):

Aurion

7.75kg per kw

TRD Aurion

- More than likely (250kw)

6.4kg per kw

- Pessimistic (230kw)

6.96kg per kw

XR6T

7.19kg per kw

SS

6.66kg per kw

HSV GTS

5.86kg per kw

Now the Aurion will have alot less torque, eitherway going off the times of the other cars.... I would guess the Aurion would do the 100 easily under the 6second mark, as the XR6T supposedly does it in 6secs, SS is claimed to do it in 5.4secs and the GTS just under 5. I really hope the current delay is because of a rethink of its configuration, FWD is alright but given that it wont have alot more power then the others, its certainly not going to have a major impact on the market. An AWD V6 on the other hand would be a massive hit IMO, certainly would give some comeptitors execs a few things to be worried about.

Edited by aussie_camry

The low torque doesn't really seem to bother me believe it or not. I think that the s/c 2zz we saw in that other clip would have had an improve in torque certainly, but not by a whole buttload. I know it's a different motor and different weight etc etc but it's funny how things aren't really what they seem until they are put into practice. That clip still haunts me to this day, how fast it is.

Some observations after reading the article

How did the BMW 3 series qualify when it was just a coupe version of last years car, nothing new there

There was an obsession with boot lids, never had a problem with the one in my Camry , much better than in the old Torana and it never squashes my bike when that’s in the back.

The Aurion probably needs to get some fancier suspension (even if it handled the same) to get a better mark.

The Aurion has more power and torque than a WRX but uses less fuel and weights 200kg more. I wonder how that engine would go in a lighter car, fast and efficient indeed.

The Commodore is built for testing at the proving ground used for the test, maybe the Aurion would have shone on its own ground exposing weaknesses in the Commodore.

Weaknesses found along the way such as performance on dirt of the ESP may have been pointed out by Wheels staff before production. Toyota might not have had that as a benefit.

Just my observations