Wheels car of the year

i would take an ve ssv over the na aurion anyday, it looks better and its rwd, but wheels/motor really do like holdens, for some reason, they reckon the ve luxury model(cant remember the name:)) is better than the bmw 5 series and benz at the same class, they even say they would take the ve over the bmw and benz even if it was the same price.

Now I aint saying this to be biast to Toyota or Ford etc (my family and *** parents also race Torana's and are big Holden/Chev people), but I seriously think the reason Wheels love Holden so much is due to a very very special relationship between them...strings attached.

thats what i thought, after reading about 5 issues of wheels/motor, i notice they don't say anything bad about holden, not even once, but they say bad things about other brands specially jap cars, s2000, corolla, integra type s and etc which i think the three are very good cars, and in most cases if holden is being compared to others most likely holden will win, no matter its toyota, ford,nissan or even bmw and benz(maybe even Bently in the future :) )

Edited by sportiyo

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has it occured that mabey the number 1 selling car in the country might actually be good......

Nope :P Actually it's quite a range but a shame the base Omega is so poor.

Anyway here's an interesting article comparing the REAL private sales figures.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...ArticleID=19729

The Commodore is Australia's biggest-selling car but it is not No.1 with people who put their hands in their own pockets to pay for a car.

In fact, it's not even No.1 with private buyers of Holdens - the Korean-built Barina takes that title, followed by the Astra.

The Australian car industry has always been protected by the government with economic aids/barriers - it's about time they built something decent.

As far as Wheels/Motor go I reckon they like getting behind something built here, maybe because they can gather information easily or because they are in the pocket of Ford/Holden. Personally I don't like those mags because of all the attention given to Aus-built cars. It's always the same thing, no matter how new the model is. Big car, big engine - big deal.

i would take an ve ssv over the na aurion anyday, it looks better and its rwd, but wheels/motor really do like holdens, for some reason, they reckon the ve luxury model(cant remember the name:)) is better than the bmw 5 series and benz at the same class, they even say they would take the ve over the bmw and benz even if it was the same price.

Now I aint saying this to be biast to Toyota or Ford etc (my family and *** parents also race Torana's and are big Holden/Chev people), but I seriously think the reason Wheels love Holden so much is due to a very very special relationship between them...strings attached.

thats what i thought, after reading about 5 issues of wheels/motor, i notice they don't say anything bad about holden, not even once, but they say bad things about other brands specially jap cars, s2000, corolla, integra type s and etc which i think the three are very good cars, and in most cases if holden is being compared to others most likely holden will win, no matter its toyota, ford,nissan or even bmw and benz(maybe even Bently in the future :) )

they do bag holdens and ford about how much fuel they drink and so on but mayb they didint say anything abd about the ve cuz it actually might be good. . . its suspension is soooo good and every other thing is so good they dont really bag the jap cars :lol:

ok, they probably not bagging a car becuz its jap, but i found they really dont like the high revving machines besides the clio sport, and they love the muscle style cars with 500nm at 1000rpm and only revs to 5500, being a mag, i think they really should have a wider interest of cars, i dont buy them any more, it was interesting to read for a few issues, but its always the same sh!t, "holden beat this holden beat that, that car is high reving but it lack torque so its crap" i know the ve is a good car and holden spent lots of money, time, effort on it, but does it have to be in the mag and front page every issue and beating EVERY SINGLE other car on this planet, if some one actually take every word they write in they would think holden is untouchable, and makes the best cars in the world, which there r some people like that

Anyway here's an interesting article comparing the REAL private sales figures.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...ArticleID=19729

Interesting reading

No.1 car Toyota :toast:

No.3 car Toyota :yahoo:

No.1 4WD Toyota :toast:

Edited by jps137

ok, they probably not bagging a car becuz its jap, but i found they really dont like the high revving machines besides the clio sport, and they love the muscle style cars with 500nm at 1000rpm and only revs to 5500, being a mag, i think they really should have a wider interest of cars, i dont buy them any more, it was interesting to read for a few issues, but its always the same sh!t, "holden beat this holden beat that, that car is high reving but it lack torque so its crap" i know the ve is a good car and holden spent lots of money, time, effort on it, but does it have to be in the mag and front page every issue and beating EVERY SINGLE other car on this planet, if some one actually take every word they write in they would think holden is untouchable, and makes the best cars in the world, which there r some people like that

Well said :clap:

I wonder if the recent petrol price has got something to do about saving australian made car with big capacity and petrolholic manner.

I think when it comes 'best car' is very subjective.

Your observational abilities and insights astound me at times dude lol. Spooky.

One thing I know is this and I'll advise any buyers of it.

The strength and weakness of old cars will be reflected onto the newer models.

so is up to you, get a Aurion for reliability and low running cost. Get a holden for its muscles, and its true Aussie image.

I wonder if the recent petrol price has got something to do about saving australian made car with big capacity and petrolholic manner.

I think when it comes 'best car' is very subjective.

Your observational abilities and insights astound me at times dude lol. Spooky.

But its true. I know the watch dog forced petrol company to lower the price because of profiteering issues, but I think one of other reason is perhaps the government is trying to save local manufacturer. That includes Toyota. However, the customers wins because by the end of the day we gets the real benefit really. Plus, it saves many people from losing their jobs.

Without trying to sound like too much of a schmuck, it seems we'll have to agree to disagree on which car is deemed better. In the end, i guess we choose cars that suit our purposes at the time.

If you want a reliable, reasonably priced, economical car, you would probably tend towards something like a toyota.

If you want an iconic aussie version of a muscle car, don't mind paying slightly more for fuel and insurance, then holden is a viable option.

You can go for the shampoo - it cleans the hair

or

you can go for the conditioner - silky and smooth.

Edited by theDefiant1

Without trying to sound like too much of a schmuck, it seems we'll have to agree to disagree on which car is deemed better. In the end, i guess we choose cars that suit our purposes at the time.

If you want a reliable, reasonably priced, economical car, you would probably tend towards something like a toyota.

If you want an iconic aussie version of a muscle car, don't mind paying slightly more for fuel and insurance, then holden is a viable option.

You can go for the shampoo - it cleans the hair

or

you can go for the conditioner - silky and smooth.

:lol:

robs right - i dont see a billion dollars worth of work in the VE commodore... some went to the gov... rest went to motor and wheels :lol:

but seriously - who believes a word those magazines say... motoring journo's are a bunch of tossers who think they are g0ds gift to driving

real good they cant even keep a sportivo in the power band hahahah

The other way to look at this comm vs aurion is that holden has been developing the commodore since.. well since there was holden. and in a way from toyota's perspective this is their "1st" aurion.

So you could say that toyota did a damn fine job on this "new" car/model, and you wouldn't expect any less from the commodore after all these years.

The other way to look at this comm vs aurion is that holden has been developing the commodore since.. well since there was holden. and in a way from toyota's perspective this is their "1st" aurion.

So you could say that toyota did a damn fine job on this "new" car/model, and you wouldn't expect any less from the commodore after all these years.

its pretty hard to get worse but :P :clap:

"Hi I'm Heywood Jakillme! I'm a Wheels magazine reviewer and well, I didn't like the Sportivo Corolla. Why? Well, I just can't drive it properly because I'm an inept retarded monkey with the motor skills of a potato. I'm sure you understand!'

robs right - i dont see a billion dollars worth of work in the VE commodore... some went to the gov... rest went to motor and wheels :lol:

but seriously - who believes a word those magazines say... motoring journo's are a bunch of tossers who think they are g0ds gift to driving

real good they cant even keep a sportivo in the power band hahahah

How much did they spend on that stupid blimp which was flown over the AFL grand final (sponsored by Toyota)?????

You can see they didn't put much into R&D...

"Okay guys we're in a fuel crisis... what should we do?"

"....chuck a V8 in it"

"Remind me to give you a payrise, Chuck"

My two cents on this...

BEAST!!! (HSV Commodore)

VS

CAR!!! (Aurion Sportivo)

imagine the aurion with normal headlights cuz those headlights obviously doesnt come lyk that but if they didi that would be sweet

U DECIDE!!!

Ok.... this really is one of the dumbest comparisons I have ever seen. A $70,000 6L V8 compared against a $40,000 3.5L V6 (Not to mention you use the crappiest pic of the Sportivo possible). Geez Id want the HSV to be better in just about every aspect. Get the pics of the HSV and compare that to the Aurion sports concept (prity much TRD Aurion which is its competitor)... and then see which one wins :rolleyes:

You reckon? Wheels magazine last month tested the XR6, ZR6, SV6 and 380GT (does any one see a theme here), and the Aurion pulled a shocker of 12lt/100klm, only 1lt off the XR6 and ZR6, the Mitsu was the most economical.

Is that really a suprise coming from wheels? Every review I have read and every customer review... has said the official figures are spot in, it consumes under 10L. Wheels more than likely pulled their figures when testing the car for wheels car of the year, thrashing the crap out of it. Do you know how much the VE SS consumes? Not driving extremely heavily, 20L per 100km.... the Aurion is half. How in the current petrol climate a gass guzzler like that can be the best car I have NO IDEA. The only explanation is some back door deals.

Anyway... my point here is that the VE Commodore is a POS (Im talking about the direct competitors of the Aurion, so from Omega to SV6 only). Quickly, here is some supporting evidence to this fact:

Im sure some of you have already seen this : http://aurionv6.com.au/toyota/aurion/#aurionV6/battleOfThe6s

And the biggest one, which puts what Ive said beyond any doubt: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...ArticleID=21521

THe SS which won the wheels car of the year is a good car, it has the handling of the lower models which is meant to be really good and actually has some power to it unlike the other VE models. However, I still say, the Aurion is virtually even with it in every aspect... even handling wise many reviews have said its only alittle behind the VE thanks in part to the Aurion Sportivo's only have 215 tyres compared to the SV6's like 235's.... but the biggest factor should have been fuel consumption. The Aurion is powerful yet fuel efficient. The SS is powerful but guzzles it down no better then V8's of last century. If your willing to have to spend literally DOUBLE in fuel a year for 1second off the 100km/h sprint between the cars... then so be it... but I know where Id take my 40grand -> Aurion

Edited by aussie_camry