CAMCON

I just got one today. though i have to wait about 1 week for it to arrive here. who here on the forum has one of these babies?

some people have been telling me to get it tuned at toda racing ($250 for the install and dyno tune). are there any other places beside them that have the experiences of tuning these units?

HO ho ho .....~!

ahhh... this guy on ebay is screwing me around... he told me that it was 50canadian dolla for shipping to aus but he put 75usd....

i hate dramas

i still have the msg telling me the prices for shipping to aus...

ahhh...

<sigh>

Edited by DuGong

I have performed some research onto this device and its so far so good. Although the auto learning feature of the stock ecu will eventually revert the car back to stock performance in the long run, its good that we can turn it on or off. So such as running on the track or at the strip it can be used and then turned off during normal commuting.

if you're too agressive with the tune on the camcon, the stock ECU will override it no matter what.

With piggyback ECU's the stock ECU is always able to protect the engine.

Given the poor tuning scale of the camcon, it would be difficult to get a perfect tune in comparison to other piggybacks... The camcon isn't doing a "closed loop" type of modification to it's intercepted signals, It's just adding or subtracting a user defined amount at each tuning point. Because the camcon can't monitor the amount of timing advance or injector pulse the stock ECU is using, it can never "try to over ride the factory ECU".

To tune it properly you need to have an OBD2 scantool connected while tuning to monitor the stock ECU's ignition advance and knock readings, so you know when you're too close to the limit before the stock ECU takes over and pulls ALL the timing advance out.

Edited by rollamods

if you're too agressive with the tune on the camcon, the stock ECU will override it no matter what.

Given the poor tuning scale of the camcon, it would be difficult to get a perfect tune in comparison to other piggybacks... The camcon isn't doing a "closed loop" type of modification to it's intercepted signals, It's just adding or subtracting a user defined amount at each tuning point. Because the camcon can't monitor the amount of timing advance or injector pulse the stock ECU is using, it can never "try to over ride the factory ECU".

To tune it properly you need to have an OBD2 scantool connected while tuning to monitor the stock ECU's ignition advance and knock readings, so you know when you're too close to the limit before the stock ECU takes over and pulls ALL the timing advance out.

Jesus. Mark was right. You're like a walking encyclopedia. No...wait...walking library.

Thanks for that Jas.

WOW fantastic :ph34r:

I was in order to make a big damage!!!!!

Yesterday, I've seen a small box in front of the shifter under the radio and the air conditioning system.

I've thought that it was the engine's ecu............... instead it is the airbag's ecu!!!!!

ehehe if I had installed the camcon on that ecu, I would have changed the airbag's timing :lol:

The engine's ecu is situated under the drawner in front of the passenger (on my european E12 ;) )

WOW fantastic :ph34r:

I was in order to make a big damage!!!!!

Yesterday, I've seen a small box in front of the shifter under the radio and the air conditioning system.

I've thought that it was the engine's ecu............... instead it is the airbag's ecu!!!!!

ehehe if I had installed the camcon on that ecu, I would have changed the airbag's timing :lol:

The engine's ecu is situated under the drawner in front of the passenger (on my european E12 ;) )

Just get an emanage! :P

do you know of anywhere in NSW that does tuning on the camcon using this method.... i suspect this is the reason that i gained **** all with it tuned....

the emanage has a ton more tuning scale for AFR and timing, with the laptop interface you can datalog it through the GUI and maptrace in realtime which makes tuning a lot easier.

I think this is a waste of money as the "gains" will be very slim to nothing if my research tells me anything. If it did work then don't you think the likes of Northy, Xoom, myself and others who have been here on this site for a long time would already have one????

By all means give it a go but personally I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. As Rollamods has stated an emanage would be far more practical and tunable with some noticable results.

:toast: Top of the class to Rollamods for pearls of wisdom.....

what does a camcon cost? I've seen emanage blue's going for as little as $300 recently including the optional timing and injector harness and the laptop interface cable/cd.

what does a camcon cost? I've seen emanage blue's going for as little as $300 recently including the optional timing and injector harness and the laptop interface cable/cd.

Thats what I paid for my Emanage... i was lucky enough for it to come with a custom harness as well... one the best mods I've got for rolla as it just pulled all of my other mods together and made it all work the way it should...

I got some pretty decent gains from it as well...