DIY EYELIDS

jaderd

Hi all,

was bored today so i decided to have a go at makeing my own eyelids to see if i want to go ahead and buy some proper ones.

Decided to trial with contact......black contact from K-mart, i went for the expensive one ($3.00) as it is one that is supposed to allow water and coffee etc to just wipe off and not ruin contact etc......so figured it might mean it will last for a while on the car..

made the front ones have a bit of a dip and rise inline wiht the headlight where it comes to a point between high and low beam.....image should show it ok...off phone only 1.3 mp

Decided to also attempt at making back eyelids too with the same contact, just made up a bit of a pattern by following some of the lines (internal casing shapes) inside the rear light...if u know what i mean, i am happy with the front the contact went on really well.....no bubbles at all and seals well....reckon will actually last a fair while as i will just be careful with pressure washer around headlights......if they start to peel off or bubble, just a matter of peeling rest off and clean down light with bit of window cleaner.

What are your thoguhts.....ok.....crap...good.....let me know....was very easy ...45 mins to do front and back......and is easily taken off if start to hate the look....wanted to do this before spending money on C-one eyelids

* i know car is filthy needs a wash just that driving up and down 400m dirt driveway today so no wash just yet

cheers

post-3050-1170392701_thumb.jpgpost-3050-1170392717_thumb.jpgpost-3050-1170392774_thumb.jpg

yeah.,...just ripped off the back...dont like going to try something diff tomoz....and changing the front....dont like how they dont go all theway to the end on the sides......stay tuned for DIY attempt 2 shortly

Attempt two...here is looks way better as eyelids go all way to end on the sides.........looking to get some cascade blue vinyl off mickey_tee so that i can make them properly....same design thgouh as i like it :).....may attemp at a new design for rears too as i ripped last one off as i didnt like the end result..

cheers.....let me know waht you think....

ps...clean car now :) washe it after making the eyelids...they stood up to the pressure washer no prob !

post-3050-1170563471_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1170563455_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1170563438_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1170563400_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1170563422_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1170563486_thumb.jpg

Yeah its just standard contact thay you buy from kmart or target for covering kids school books....works quite well i think....well its atleast an easy and cheap way to trial different designs prior to making your own fibre glass or vinyl ones......

cheers

• 3 months later...

Yeah its just standard contact thay you buy from kmart or target for covering kids school books....works quite well i think....well its atleast an easy and cheap way to trial different designs prior to making your own fibre glass or vinyl ones......

cheers

Update......just got pm'd about eyelids and figured id let you know the 3 $ contact is still as if it were day one....been over 3 months.....heaps of washes.....dirt.....bugs...and a little rain.....no prob....def most visually effective and cheap mod out there i believe....and allows you to play with your own designs

cheers

• 2 years later...
eyelids still going strong for those tempted to give it a go...well over 2 years now :)

How about your Tailbrows?

did you end up making another design at all?

Evo

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

getting towards 2.5 years now and still good :), yeah you could color code it if you wanted to, depending if you could find the color contact you needed. I wanted to go black to tie in with door panel and weather shields etc

I did the same thing following 'Jadred' - i have a black sportivo as well so i decided to go with black contact.

its been about 4 weeks.. no tears no faults yet..

i might re-do it though. the shape looks funky sometimes...

its best to try n make the angry look.. where the eyelids are like >< :angry:

as in the eyebrows are "angry look" - uknw wat i mean..

that's some quality contact.

Have you seen any in the same colour as your car?

If not, do you think painting it or something is a possible solution?

if you want a different colour, head to your local sign writer, they should have swatch book of hundreds of colours and treatments. i know there are some realy really good Carbon Fibre look-a-like vinyls around now... i reckon that would look awesome on anycar.... would even consider buying proper ABS plastic eyelids and wrappying in the CF vinyl.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm in about a months time when i'm free to search for these 'sign writers' i'll give that a shot

okay, i just googled 'sign writers *my location*' and found a local "Sign-a-rama" which i used to see almost everyday on my daily commute =p

Cheers for that BKS

• 3 months later...