slotted break rotors

JJCRU23R

interested in upgrading my breaks.

since ive had no previous experience in anything to do with the breaks, i would like to know:

:huh:

what particular brands are best?

how much?

where to get them? (sydney area)

easy DIY install or does it require a mechanic?

thanks

jase

Do you hear that? ? * i think that's the sound of your missus' whip cracking!!* This mod is +$300!! $_$ ;; Are you sure the missus will "A" OK U on this one??

Anywayz : There are two brands that i'm aware of

-DBA

-RDA

From what i hear. DBA are better lasting and they are also a tad more expensive.

I have RDA slotted Rotoros for the front (becuase the stock ones were lipped on both sides >_<;;)

The front RDA rotors cost me 180. Part number RDA7779S

You also need to get some new brake pads as well (green, black or rainbow) - I got blacks @ 70

Install cost me 100 (including oils and a free brake test (BB's garage))

OMINPOTENT has a very well detailed thread about how he cut sick and went pro on the slotted brake option. I believe he went slotted DBA front and RDA rears. he also went braided lines and pro caliper paint job. (1K +/-)

:idea: *remember to search* T_T:; :idea:

** Theoritcally you could DIY...but if you don't have the technical knowledge or doubt even the slightess... then go pro. For you the stakes a bit higher. A family. Go pro. I got quoted arounds $100-150 for installing the fronts inclusive of pads and oils (i provided the rotors) **

Good LUck!! :toast:

What do you want out of this.... better braking ability or better looks?

Because slotted rotors really dont help braking performance at all, in fact they increase wear on brake pads alot. If your looking to improve your braking the cheapest ways are :

* Better tyres (they are what get the brake force the ground, idealy you want fatter tyres although getting better tyres will help)

* Stainless steal brake lines (Stock lines usually aernt SS and swell under hard braking, reducing pedal feel)

What do you want out of this.... better braking ability or better looks?

Because slotted rotors really dont help braking performance at all, in fact they increase wear on brake pads alot. If your looking to improve your braking the cheapest ways are :

* Better tyres (they are what get the brake force the ground, idealy you want fatter tyres although getting better tyres will help)

* Stainless steal brake lines (Stock lines usually aernt SS and swell under hard braking, reducing pedal feel)

Slotted do improve braking performance in a high stress environment as the slots are designed to keep the pad material fresh by removing the glazed portion.

Brake lines would serve no advantage unless you are heating the fluid over a long period of extreme braking.

In fact the best way to improve braking performance is to get larger diameter discs and higher pressure calipers (be it more pistons or larger pistons, they also incorporate larger pads most of the time as well)

remember if you're going to mess with your calipers by changing them and altering the piston size/volume, you need to make the appropriate mods to your brake master cylinder and brake poportioning valve.

remember if you're going to mess with your calipers by changing them and altering the piston size/volume, you need to make the appropriate mods to your brake master cylinder and brake poportioning valve.

and get everything engineered.

I um.. I was just curious coz i saw DBA 4wd slotted break rotors for $129 in the supercheap auto catalogue.

its a "direct replacement" guess by that they mean its bolt on with no modifications required.

just wondering if it would mean the same thing if i bought these for my corolla.

just took a look at it again - 129 EACH... so x4 = 516??

RME1 of course my wife isnt gonna agree! we supposed 2 be saving!

Aussiecamry - its not really for looks, id rather slow down better than i speed up :P and yea with my wife and kid in the car, i dont wanna take any risks.

but my car is due for service soon so whether i like it or not, $$$ out my pockets.

Edited by JJCRU23R

RDA Rotors are $200 for a pair i think. or $250..i forgot (i called them up last year)

for installation, a guy in sydney quoted me $70aud for the whole lot. :D CHEAPPPP I was surprised when he said $70 hehehe.....

the most time consuming part in changing rotors is getting the tools out and packing them back up

Slotted do improve braking performance in a high stress environment as the slots are designed to keep the pad material fresh by removing the glazed portion.

Lol thats news to me... the number 1 factor in brake inefficiency is HEAT. Thats why bigger brakes are the only real way of getting better brake performance (Granted you said this at the end of your post). The 'glazed' theory is BS and Im sure its come from some nifty marketing from whoever sells these slotted rotors, at best your talking about 1mm off braking distance lol for $400! Not to mention get ready to change your brake pads are alot shorter intervals.

Brake lines would serve no advantage unless you are heating the fluid over a long period of extreme braking.

Its not related to the heat, its about when you brake, with stock lines they SWELL under the pressure, reducing pedal feel and no doubt brake efficiency. With stainless steel lines, their is no swell, so the fluid is forced down the channel more directly, if you get what I mean. Personally looking at low budget brake improvement, this along with some good quality brake pads is all I would do.

Edited by aussie_camry

do you realise that the slots in the disc also help to dissipate the heat from the pads?

If you're going to be driving the car harder than the average granny going to the shops to get groceries, slotted discs are a good thing.

I've noticed a decent increase in braking performance in my last seven cars, on both the street and the track.

http://autos.aol.com/article/power/v2/_a/u...114181109990001

Edited by rollamods

^

Yes and I can find a number of articles that suggest it does minimal. That article lost me when they suggested slotted rotors increase pad life, Im sorry but you cant say their is a shaving effect which helps stopping and then suggest it decreases wear. Also, no mention of how with slotted rotors there is less surface area between rotor and pad, which is not a good thing. And there tests are at 100km/h.... In all my years and anyone else I kno of driving, never had to brake extremely hard on a highway yet, at lower speeds, the difference is negligble.

Do what you want... but the best bang for your buck is some SS brake lines and decent pads. Rotors will cost you more short term and long term, its one of those cost > benefit things.

Edited by aussie_camry

^

Yes and I can find a number of articles that suggest it does minimal. That article lost me when they suggested slotted rotors increase pad life, Im sorry but you cant say their is a shaving effect which helps stopping and then suggest it decreases wear. Also, no mention of how with slotted rotors there is less surface area between rotor and pad, which is not a good thing. And there tests are at 100km/h.... In all my years and anyone else I kno of driving, never had to brake extremely hard on a highway yet, at lower speeds, the difference is negligble.

Do what you want... but the best bang for your buck is some SS brake lines and decent pads. Rotors will cost you more short term and long term, its one of those cost > benefit things.

but when your discs have come to the end of their life and require replacing anyway, why not get slotted ones.

I agree with you there is no real gain for everyday driving, but if the car sees track time, that's a different issue. Pad wear is also a non issue in this event also.

You also forgot the fact that brake fluid also makes a HUGE difference in the braking performance and feel as well.

^

Yes I agree... I was gonna say if your taking it to the track then yes by all means get slotted. But for your avg car as Ive been saying, just go for cheaper solutions like SS Lines and good brake pads etc which you will feel the difference at in everyday driving.

ADR approved SS lines are not a cheap solution. If you get the non-approved Taiwanese made lines, they're cheap, but not legal.

I've got Goodrich ADR approved braided lines on one of my cars.

A set of ADR approved braided lines for most Mcpherson strut toyota's from Maltech will set you back ~$400 for the four lines.

The street pads I run are also around the $250/pair mark, so the cost of a set of slotted DBA or RDA discs is insignificant in comparison to the cost of the pads and lines.

Edited by rollamods

^

Well I remember seeing some ages back for like $200... not sure if they were 'approved' or not and Im not sure if youd waste your time changing the back lines which both are more expensive to do labour wise and have less of a brake load. As for brake pads lol $250 a pair, I dont know where you get yours from but decent pads dont cost that much. Eitherway, I still say this other option is cheaper... but it doesnt matter anyway, you wont really feel the stopping power of slotted rotors unless you have to brake hard at 100km/h which is extremely rare... so it is pointless pay more then you would for standard blanks. The other options are cheaper, provide more of a gain at normal driving speeds, give gains you can actually notice in everyday driving etc... and wont place added wear on other things like pads, in turn costing you more. All about cost vs benefit imo.

Edited by aussie_camry

The 'glazed' theory is BS and Im sure its come from some nifty marketing from whoever sells these slotted rotors

Another name for glazed is 'compound' or 'pad' fade. The stock Sportivo pads can take about 4/5 laps before this occurs.

Edited by SuperDave

ADR approved SS lines are not a cheap solution. If you get the non-approved Taiwanese made lines, they're cheap, but not legal.

I've got Goodrich ADR approved braided lines on one of my cars.

A set of ADR approved braided lines for most Mcpherson strut toyota's from Maltech will set you back ~$400 for the four lines.

The street pads I run are also around the $250/pair mark, so the cost of a set of slotted DBA or RDA discs is insignificant in comparison to the cost of the pads and lines.

and changing the fluid over to Motul RBF 600 cost about $50 for 2 bottles ;)

best upgrade ever :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

this is interesting i thought the slots were to help decrease the gas buildup between the pad and rotor but its marginal on your normal road car whilst sitting in traffic then all theyre for are looks plus they can be noisey when you pull up at the lights they make a whooshing noise but theyre better than slotted and cross drilled they just crack under too much heat.

i agree with the others though its not just the pads and rotors good lines good fluid and possibly a master cylinder brace would make a marked improvement