• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok to debunk some myths -

1. It is not going to be $70k ffs.... quote from TRD corporate manager:

“It’s going to be more expensive than a Falcon XR6 Turbo ($44,000) or a Commodore SV8 ($45,000) … but it won’t be as expensive as an HSV or FPV car"

FYI FPVs are like $60k and HSVs are $70k... so its hardly going to be that much. Its going to be around $50k, not to bad considering its had alot of upgrades, while something like an XR6T is $45k with only a modified engine.

MYTH BUSTED

I don't believe it will be anywhere near the $70k. Somewhere between $50k - $60k is my guess. We'll just have to wait and see.

HSV , FPV , forms of art? get a friggin life.. at the end of the day.. you're all either driving to work, picking up stuff from the supermarket or going to a friends .. simple stuff.. none of you are/ or can drag those cars etc.. I'm supposed to go buy a stupid old tech hsv coz it has more grunt? the hell I care.. I'd go for which offers more bang for buck, which I know won't fudge up on me, has the resale value and good customer support.

HaHaHa Has resale value? and how many large family Toyotas have you sold? resale value for a large family Toyota wouldnt be something that sells any of it's cars. :lol:

And i would prefer a RWD or AWD over FWD. Im not a driver that only likes to drive fast in a STRAIGHT line,

cornering is hands down better in anything other than FWD.

HSV , FPV , forms of art? get a friggin life.. at the end of the day.. you're all either driving to work, picking up stuff from the supermarket or going to a friends .. simple stuff.. none of you are/ or can drag those cars etc.. I'm supposed to go buy a stupid old tech hsv coz it has more grunt? the hell I care.. I'd go for which offers more bang for buck, which I know won't fudge up on me, has the resale value and good customer support.

HaHaHa Has resale value? and how many large family Toyotas have you sold? resale value for a large family Toyota wouldnt be something that sells any of it's cars. :lol:

And i would prefer a RWD or AWD over FWD. Im not a driver that only likes to drive fast in a STRAIGHT line,

haha ok mr. rally driver .. lets put your hsv or fpv thru the twisties aye? I'll bring my 14 yr old superstrut and see if these new pos's can get past that ?

the point is that toyota come running in saying LOOK AT US LOOK AT US WE MAKE SOMTHING SPORTY.....and they dont they just ***** there money into R&D for the camry/avalon/aurion, the fact that TRD have associated themselves with TMCA is a real shame as all they are doing is graging TRD through the mud...

Have you guys ever thought that TRD may be using TMCA as a testing ground for Hi-Po development of their GR series engines?

This series engine seems to be used quite widely throughout the Toyota/Lexus range in various guises:

1GR (4.0L V6 4WD) - Prado, JDM Toyota Hilux Surf

2GR (3.5L V6 FWD) - Aurion/Camry, Tarago, Kluger and possibly in a Hi-Po Corolla

3GR (3.0L V6 RWD) - Lexus IS250, JDM Toyota Mark X, Lexus GS300

4GR (2.5L V6 RWD) - JDM Toyota Crown (and its variants), JDM Toyota Mark X/Toyota Reiz (China)

This is the only engine I'm aware of in the current range that has this many variants and so many uses. The next closest would be the UZ and the rest of them, NZ, AZ, ZZ (to be replaced by ZR) don't even rate a mention!

the point is that toyota come running in saying LOOK AT US LOOK AT US WE MAKE SOMTHING SPORTY.....and they dont they just ***** there money into R&D for the camry/avalon/aurion, the fact that TRD have associated themselves with TMCA is a real shame as all they are doing is graging TRD through the mud...

As others have said, the dam car hasnt come out yet and you knock it down, wake up. From what we do know it seems decent, some basic structural work done, suspension work, brake work, interior done up, supercharged, exterior work.... doesnt sound to bad to me.

Mate I already posted the link to a FWD vs RWD test of two identical cars on the previous page... the whole RWD > FWD is a myth. The main reason why racing cars and the like down go RWD is because of other factors such as rapid tyre wear under racing conditions on a FWD car etc... things which are irrelevant to a street and occasional track car. RWD has the same limiting factors, it powers only one set of wheels, both have their own disadvantages and advantanges. The only truly superior platform is AWD.

haha ok mr. rally driver .. lets put your hsv or fpv thru the twisties aye? I'll bring my 14 yr old superstrut and see if these new pos's can get past that ?

Exactly.... 1800kg+ doesnt go to well around corners. And in a Drive blog it has been noted that a recent test by wheels of HSVs and the like produced poor results (which they hardly mentioned - coincidence), in fact fluids etc started to overheat after less than a handful of laps. All these cars aernt race cars... they are for the street... no matter how creative their advertising is. Or do we have bogans around here that think V8 Supercars are the same as the ones you buy at your dealer?

Edited by aussie_camry

for $50-60K I'd prefer a Liberty GT

Now I do like the liberty GT and its a great car but having test driven them The Liberty GT is for you if you want a manual and can really use the full capabilities of the AWD superior handling.

I wanted an auto and if you drive an auto Liberty GT you may be disappointed as the standard Aurion compares well up to 8/10ths driving ie fast street not strip.

Base facts on performance for stock Aurion and Liberty GT are very close

Liberty GT is 184kw and 339Nm in a 1545 kg car with a 5 spd auto

Aurion has 200kw and 336Nm in a 1630Kg car with a 6 spd auto.

Now if we were to look at the TRD supercharged version well! Of course the Liberty GT is $59k on the road all up so pricing will be important.

^

Yeah, Liberty is a nice car but when you weigh up all things the TRD Aurion on PAPER looks the better deal.... more power, better transmission, sportier look, maybe sportier feel with its suspension work, some luxury interior wise, all of the features you need etc.

^

Yeah, Liberty is a nice car but when you weigh up all things the TRD Aurion on PAPER looks the better deal.... more power, better transmission, sportier look, maybe sportier feel with its suspension work, some luxury interior wise, all of the features you need etc.

Well I put my money down on a Presara after test driving a Liberty GT, Maxima, Commodore SV6 and Falcon XR6.

The best drivers car was the liberty GT manual in my book but for me all considered the presara was better overall but of course there are some compromises here to suit wife and family demands.

“It’s going to be more expensive than a Falcon XR6 Turbo ($44,000) or a Commodore SV8 ($45,000) … but it won’t be as expensive as an HSV or FPV car"

FYI FPVs are like $60k and HSVs are $70k... so its hardly going to be that much. Its going to be around $50k, not to bad considering its had alot of upgrades, while something like an XR6T is $45k with only a modified engine.

MYTH BUSTED

2. They are not limited it to only 100 cars being produced, quote from a respected article:

"The whole idea of the TRD Aurion isn’t really to make money, the idea is to create a halo car that will help increase sales of the basic car. In saying that, TRD hopes to sell around 1,000 cars in the first 12 months."

MYTH BUSTED

3. FWD makes the car totally crap :

Although I will admit RWD is perhaps a funner experience, albeit more dangerous... speed wise they both have their advantages and disadvantages as they only drive one pair of wheels. The following article is the best source on this:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/test1.htm

The only real disadvantage comes in what the customers want, in Australia people have a fascination with RWD cars... even if they are slow. An example will be the XR6T vs TRD Aurion... the Aurion is more than likely gonna be faster, but people will still opt for the XR6T. A current example is the Aurion vs VE... base model 200kw with a 6 speed trans vs 180kw with a 4 speed yet the Omega still sells!

MYTH BUSTED

Whats your source for the pricing? TMCA Website lists the ZR6 at $42500 RRP + ORC. TMCA I have a friend I work with that just bought his ZR6 with Sat Nav and Moonroofe and got SFA change from %48k on the road....so I struggle to see how TRD version will be rolling around $45k country.

Any word on engine output?

I've read quotes of 230kw? Is that right?

TRD Aurion will boast a supercharged 3.5-litre dual VVT-i V6 engine that has been developed with a target of producing at least 235kW

MYTH BUSTED

Whats your source for the pricing? TMCA Website lists the ZR6 at $42500 RRP + ORC. TMCA I have a friend I work with that just bought his ZR6 with Sat Nav and Moonroofe and got SFA change from %48k on the road....so I struggle to see how TRD version will be rolling around $45k country.

Commodore SV8 ($45,000)???? WTF, that car does not exist anymore dude. HSV's $70k? Na try $63K.

All following pricing as at 26.03.2007

Ford Falcon BFII XR6 $39,710 (NA 190KW, 383NM) http://www.carpoint.com.au/new-car/FORD/FA...09:46:22.117491

Ford Falcon BFII XR6T $43,990 (Turbo 245KW, 480NM) http://www.carpoint.com.au/new-car/FORD/FA...09:49:32.117500

Ford Falcon BFII XR8 $44,990 (V8 260KW, 500NM) http://www.carpoint.com.au/new-car/FORD/FA...09:50:49.117506

Holden Commodore SV6 $39,990 (NA 190KW, 340NM) http://www.carpoint.com.au/new-car/HOLDEN/...08:22:51.237915

Holden Commodore SS $44,990 (V8 270KW, 530NM) http://www.carpoint.com.au/new-car/HOLDEN/...08:24:17.237925

Holden Commodore SS-V $52,490 (V8 270KW, 530NM) http://www.carpoint.com.au/new-car/HOLDEN/...08:26:31.254100

Toyota Aurion SX6 $38,500 (NA 200KW, 336NM) http://www.carpoint.com.au/new-car/TOYOTA/...16:30:49.761207

Toyota Aurion ZR6 $42,500 (NA 200KW, 336NM) http://www.carpoint.com.au/new-car/TOYOTA/...16:30:49.761207

HSV Clubsport R8 $62,890 (V8 307KW, 550NM) http://www.carpoint.com.au/new-car/HSV/Clu...09:19:38.295040

FPV GT $62,210 (V8 290KW, 520NM) http://www.carpoint.com.au/new-car/FPV/GT/...12:16:54.197853

FPV Typhoon $61,180 (Turbo 270KW, 550NM) http://www.carpoint.com.au/new-car/FPV/F6%20TYPHOON/car.aspx?id=cp20061110.12:21:53.197865

Get your myths right dude, you have p1ssed off some seasoned members who are not comming back.

In short, if the Aurion TRD is priced $44k Plus, only die-hard Toyota Fans will buy it. For $45, my money goes to the SS.

If you look at the European market, all the cars vary in driven wheels, even when you look at the sales, they are pretty close. The difference is the build quality. Now i have been in both the Falcon and Commodore. I was pretty close to buying a falcon but opted for the Sportivo as it was just as much fun to drive and the quality (even though it was made in SA) was better than the Falcon. How can a car produced on a robotic production line have panels that do not meet up? The falcon's dash that i drove was not fitted snuggly and where the door trim met the side of dash there was a huge gap on the driver's side but none of the passengers side, why is that? The only reason people are buying the australian car's is because they are rear wheel drive and there are fewer police so getting caught for flicking the car sideways is very rare.

Now toyota should have brought the Aurion out as a rear wheel drive car sales of the big aussie cars would have all but dried up. There is more to driving than having the ability to flick a cars rear end out. To me build quality is more important than have the rear wheels driving the car.

As for you comment 351, im an old member, i left for a year because the newer members were arguing too much, i still came back, i dare say they will to.....

PS I love my Fords but i drive a toyota.

If you look at the European market, all the cars vary in driven wheels, even when you look at the sales, they are pretty close. The difference is the build quality. Now i have been in both the Falcon and Commodore. I was pretty close to buying a falcon but opted for the Sportivo as it was just as much fun to drive and the quality (even though it was made in SA) was better than the Falcon. How can a car produced on a robotic production line have panels that do not meet up? The falcon's dash that i drove was not fitted snuggly and where the door trim met the side of dash there was a huge gap on the driver's side but none of the passengers side, why is that? The only reason people are buying the australian car's is because they are rear wheel drive and there are fewer police so getting caught for flicking the car sideways is very rare.

Now toyota should have brought the Aurion out as a rear wheel drive car sales of the big aussie cars would have all but dried up. There is more to driving than having the ability to flick a cars rear end out. To me build quality is more important than have the rear wheels driving the car.

As for you comment 351, im an old member, i left for a year because the newer members were arguing too much, i still came back, i dare say they will to.....

Camrys and Aurions are built in Altona, Victoria.

I second you on the point of build quality.

Having driven in a (brand new) BF Mk1 Falcon XT for about a month and previous and current model Camry Altise that were all from car hire companies, even in their base model spec, the Camry was the clear winner; no misaligned interior trim and no gaping holes in between trim pieces, which are bettered again in the Japanese imported models; even though all Toyotas use hard plastic interiors.

Having driven Toyotas all my life and having spent time in that Falcon, I can understand why large Aussie-built RWD cars are so attractive - powerful, lots of bottom end torque, spacious, small turning circle for such a large car, sporting characteristics inherent in RWD, small amounts of the hoon factor, towing, even tyre wear, liked the fact that the Falcon had dual rubber seals around the door and the door frame; I was even amazed at how fast I was able to punt this Falcon on some twisty blacktop roads followed by a very leisurely and comfortable cruise on 60/80kph roads; Ford's seats are definitely much more comfy than Toyotas!

The Ford did win me, but I could not look past the lack of quality, which is something I have to live with and the fact that the Falcon did not have a flat boot area and the Camry/Aurion did!

Commodore SV8 ($45,000)???? WTF, that car does not exist anymore dude.

I DIDNT SAY SV8, that was the TRD Corporate Manager who said that in the following quote:

"Its going to be more expensive than a Falcon XR6 Turbo ($44,000) or a Commodore SV8 ($45,000) but it wont be as expensive as an HSV or FPV car. It will not be priced against the Falcon XR6 turbo, though. Its a lot more than just an engine upgrade. - http://www.caradvice.com.au/1834/toyota-tr...ld-you-buy-one/

HSV's $70k? Na try $63K.

Lol wow $7k... what I said was right, stop nit picking small details

Get your myths right dude, you have p1ssed off some seasoned members who are not comming back

Lol how the f*ck have I p*ssed off members? And get my myths right... people around here were saying the TRD Aurion would be $70k because a friend of a friend said so... I have debunked these baseless myth with quotes from the TRD Corporate manager and now Im getting grilled for it. Wake up. Everything I said was right, the car wont be $70k, it will be around $50k (Your price quotes back this up... I dont know what the point of all that was).

In short, if the Aurion TRD is priced $44k Plus, only die-hard Toyota Fans will buy it. For $45, my money goes to the SS

It depends on what you value... the TRD Aurion has a better interior then an SS by a long shot (SS has cloth seats std), it will be nearly as powerful, it will handle well (a number of handling upgrades done), no doubt be reliable (defintely more reliable then the SSs unsophisiticated pushrod engine), possibly return better fuel efficiency, more safety features (I believe SS only has 4 airbags standard, the base Aurion has 6 standard!), more differentiated from other models etc.

Edited by aussie_camry

In short, if the Aurion TRD is priced $44k Plus, only die-hard Toyota Fans will buy it. For $45, my money goes to the SS

It depends on what you value... the TRD Aurion has a better interior then an SS by a long shot (SS has cloth seats std), it will be nearly as powerful, it will handle well (a number of handling upgrades done), no doubt be reliable (defintely more reliable then the SSs unsophisiticated pushrod engine), possibly return better fuel efficiency, more safety features (I believe SS only has 4 airbags standard, the base Aurion has 6 standard!), more differentiated from other models etc.

Then you go for the SS-V, and yes the Holden has Side, Curtain and Front airbags = 6.

Quote from website Carpoint WriteUp on Aurion Sportivo

Quote 1: - "Disregard the sports label, the ZR6 is more about extra 'flash' than 'dash'"

Quote 2: - "But where does that leave the Sportivo ZR6? We would swap the extra plastic body bits, faux grille mesh and low-speed engine nobbling for a rear or all-wheel-drive chassis any day."

you go for the SS-V

Yes and $52k which is reaching if not exceeding the price of the TRD Aurion... and also still lacks the same interior quality (based on pictures of course so not 100%).

Holden has Side, Curtain and Front airbags = 6.

The SSV does... the SS doesnt I believe. As mentioned, the SSV is also $7k more then the SS for what? Leather and two air bags! Holden make a nice profit on any suckers who buy the SSV. Same applies to XR6T and XR6, albeit on a different level, in this case the interior etc is all identical and only the engine is upgraded. At least the TRD Aurion has had extensive work done... for $5k extra.

Quote from website Carpoint WriteUp on Aurion Sportivo

LOL nice biased source. You want to use quotes as evidence, Aurion Sportivo:

QUOTE 1 :

"If I were buying on looks alone, I’d probably opt for Holden’s SV6. If on the other hand, if I wanted the best overall sports package – then my money would be on the ZR6" - http://www.caradvice.com.au/1598/2007-toyo...-zr6-road-test/

QUOTE 2 :

"It has been a while since the verdict in a Drive comparison test was so clear-cut. On price, equipment, safety features, fuel economy and emissions, the Toyota Aurion SX6 comfortably beats the Holden Commodore SV6 and Ford Falcon XR6" - http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...ArticleID=21521

QUOTE 3 :

"While big six cylinder sedans are struggling to win buyers, those who are looking in this class have several great value models from which to choose. Compare Aurion's performance, features, safety, space and quality with any import and you'll soon see why it's Australia's Best Large Car." - http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/SID-...m_Road_Test.htm

But I really am clueless as to how this relates to the TRD Aurion? If anything it proves its good value, if the Aurion Sportivo ZR6 is more about 'flash' then 'dash' at $45k.... then at $50k the TRD Aurion which has flash and dash is a real winner :toast:

Edited by aussie_camry

Mate I already posted the link to a FWD vs RWD test of two identical cars on the previous page... the whole RWD > FWD is a myth.

Maybe you should call Ferrari, Porsche, Merc (AMG), BMW (M series), Zonda, Lambo and so forth and let them know that they got it wrong?

The SSV does... the SS doesnt I believe. As mentioned, the SSV is also $7k more then the SS for what? Leather and two air bags! Holden make a nice profit on any suckers who buy the SSV. Same applies to XR6T and XR6, albeit on a different level, in this case the interior etc is all identical and only the engine is upgraded. At least the TRD Aurion has had extensive work done... for $5k extra.

Yes it does have 6 airbags, both SS and SS-V check the Holden website, I beleive. Also the SSV has more than just leather and air bags from the SS, do you research dude!

Your arguements also apply to Toyota as well as Mitshubishi, Ford and Holden. The TRD Aurion will not only be "$5k extra". If you believe that, no comment. Extensive work? What? Bigger wheels and a blower, sounds like a XR6T job to me. The Ford and Holden do have different interiors, why are you so blind and biased, again do you research.

Some people may say that the TRD Aurion is a streched 6 cyl Camry with a body kit and blower, a perfect appliance for torque steering! You can buy one form MYER or Harvey Norman!

But I really am clueless as to how this relates to the TRD Aurion? If anything it proves its good value, if the Aurion Sportivo ZR6 is more about 'flash' then 'dash' at $45k.... then at $50k the TRD Aurion which has flash and dash is a real winner.

The TRD Aurion isn't a winner. Once released and matched up, only then we can make assumptions.

Maybe you should call Ferrari, Porsche, Merc (AMG), BMW (M series), Zonda, Lambo and so forth and let them know that they got it wrong?

A number of them have AWD systems (I know Lambos definetely do)... the worlds fastest car the Bugatti Veyron has AWD.... any decent performance car within most peoples budgets (STis and Evo's etc) have AWD. The main fascination with RWD stems from what customers want, and customers want RWD... not because it performs better, but because they are more enjoyable to drive (Everyone loves to fishtail themselves into a pole). My point was performance wise the FWD is on par with a RWD, as shown by that article... a point you have obviously missed.

Yes it does have 6 airbags, both SS and SS-V check the Holden website, I beleive

Well your wrong. Go look at your own links... the SS doesnt have "Front head airbags/side curtain and Rear head airbags/side curtain" standard, they are optional, standard airbags are "Driver's airbag, Front passenger's airbag, Front side (thorax) airbags"... which correct me if Im wrong is only 4

Extensive work? What? Bigger wheels and a blower, sounds like a XR6T job to me. The Ford and Holden do have different interiors, why are you so blind and biased, again do you research.

Hahaha calling me biased, irony? Maybe you should do your research, it has bigger wheels, a supercharger AND bigger brakes, structural work, stiffened up suspension, new front lip, new rear spoiler, new rear bumper, different interior such as the seats (NOT just coloured like the SS but a proper seat that supports you under spirited driving) and some other things Ive forgotten. Its all detailed in videos circulating from TRD, not hard to find if you actually took the time to consider other options, but you are biased and dont research these things. The XR6T on the other hand only has a turbo added and slightly bigger brakes (not sure if thats std or optional). The rest is exactly the same as a XR6.

Some people may say that the TRD Aurion is a streched 6 cyl Camry with a body kit and blower, a perfect appliance for torque steering!

Now we go onto torque steer... people like yourself claimed before the Aurion came out it would suffer from terrible torque steer, this was not the case. I dont see an extra 40kw and more torque having a significant effect, certainly TRD wouldnt release a halo car like this if it suffered from such drawbacks.

The TRD Aurion isn't a winner. Once released and matched up, only then we can make assumptions

Yes that works BOTH ways... you cant knock it down just yet. All I say is on paper the car looks the goods.

Edited by aussie_camry