The best panel filter

theDefiant1

i hadnt touched my panel filter which had been in there since the car was new.... felt that my car wasnt pulling as well as i thought it used 2.

and then someone on the forum threw up a used K&N panel filter up as a freebee!

SCORE!

it was black and dusty... i dindt have the cleaning kit at the time but i bunged in anyway and i did feel an immediate difference in sound when i accelerated.

ive cleaned it once... im not terribly worried that any excess oil will be sucked in.. since the instructions tell you how to do it right so you dont stuff it up!

drench the filter in oil, of course youre going to ***** up something.

Its really hard to define which one works better.

In most cases you'll find that the stock filter provides better filtration, although it might be more restrictive. When we say more restrictive, it is not very much at all. If you run a test between a stock filter and aftermarket panel, the difference in the pressure drop between the two would not vary too much.

Aftermarket panel filter combined with the removal of the standard intake snorkel will give you nice intake noise and better fuel economy than aftermarket panel filter alone.

For whoever said SRI FTW, do some reading.

Aftermarket panel filter combined with the removal of the standard intake snorkel will give you nice intake noise and better fuel economy than aftermarket panel filter alone.

I took the snorkel (snorkey baaaaad) and have also felt a much more responsive mid-range. Still just a standard paper filter as I'm not satisfactorily convinced another type of panel filter will be advantageous in the way that I drive.

Mind you, XMas is coming up, and so is my birthday, so if someone wants to buy me a pressie, I wont argue. Hey Rob - you always said I was worth the money! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I took the snorkel (snorkey baaaaad) and have also felt a much more responsive mid-range. Still just a standard paper filter as I'm not satisfactorily convinced another type of panel filter will be advantageous in the way that I drive.

Mind you, XMas is coming up, and so is my birthday, so if someone wants to buy me a pressie, I wont argue. Hey Rob - you always said I was worth the money! ;)

i went to autobarn on boxing day picked up a K&N panel filter for 80 bucks i havent used it yet coz my original paper filter is still pretty clean...cant wait to stick it in and feel the difference