Engines

Different engine all together. Traditionally, Toyota engine codes tell you alot about the engine. The first few characters before the dash tell you what series and what family engine block is. the characters after the dash tell you about the head and induction.

e.g 3S-FE (old celica engine 80KW) "3S" tells us that it is "3"series engine in the "S" family. FE tells us that the economy head is used (narrow valve angles. less power but better fuel economy)

3S-GE (old celica engine 100KW) the "GE" in this case tells us toyota used the GE head (steeper valve angle)....GTE means GE head with Turbo. GZE means GE head with supercharger. Most people will know the now famous GT4 celica turbo engine - 3S-GTE or the supercharged 4A-GZE

so to answer your question. standard corolla used 1ZZ-FE engine and the sportivo uses 2ZZ-GE. the block is from the same family (all alloy) but has different crank, pistons and connecting rods. The head on the sportivo has more aggresive valve angles, VVTLi as apposed to VVTi (no variable valve lift). the compression ratio on the 2ZZ-GE is a whoping 11.5:1. (i.e keep i tuned once it gets old or you will get serious Pinging) All the difference including a larger exhause and revised induction system allow the 2ZZ-GE to have the same displacement as the 1ZZ-FE but gives the 2ZZ 40% more power.

hope this answers your question....stay tuned for the next episode of...

"QKSLVR's rant" - same bat time, same bat channel! :P

The Sportivo has full leather interior, Opititronic Dash, Totally different motor to the Asscent 1ZZ instead the 2ZZGE motor, Different Suspension, Different Wheels, Leather Steering wheel, ABS & EBD as standard, Six Speed Gearbox as against 5 speed, Completly different centre dash assembly, Climate control instead of Air con....should I keep on going.

No way man never. You would have to get the 2zzge motor completely different in how they work.. Also ECU wiring loom gearbox...blah blah. But in saying that there is some mods you can do to the 1zz motor in your car that is quite hard to do on the 2zz motor. IE Easily Turbo charged and there is a TRD Supercharger that bolts on.. The supercharger is simply not worth it on the 2zz motor

Hi triskillion,

To get your self up with the power output of the sportivo you will need to be looking at forced induction i.e. turbo or supercharger. Grimlock has purchased the supercharger kit and i think he's pretty much their. Mods other than this will also need to be done to aid in your power hunt i.e. exhaust, extractors, CAI, Independant ECU etc as i dont think the S/C alone will get you there.

Cheers

Bill

p.s. just to mention that even after all that it will not have the same characteristics as the 2ZZ engine i.e. lift which occurs from 6K->8K rpm's. But i'd also be worried about engine life span if all the above mods were done.

the compression ratio on the 2ZZ-GE is a whoping 11.5:1. (i.e keep i tuned once it gets old or you will get serious Pinging)

OK, this has had me flummoxed ever since I got my first EFI car. How exactly do you "tune" an EFI car, when the ECU controls advance timing, fuel delivery and ignition?

What exactly do we pay the mechanics for, other than plugging their hideously expensive diagnostic machines into our cars and poking at the belts and filters?

You will find new ones are hard to get but there is some around you would have to hunt around. Which State are you in..... If you are in Victoria I have a dealer friend who maybe able to hunt one down for you. The new Sportivo will not be released till next year. But the mods for a Sportivo are certainly no cheaper than the mods for what you have....Trust me I have spent approx 6 grand or so or so ummmm too scared to think... Thats not including the mods on the way

ok. hehhee maybe the word "tuned" wasn't the best word. How about we use the words "well serviced" you don't want spark knock...etc

The word "tune up" has always been accepted as meaning service so i don't know why you are getting your panties in a knot :D

Yuck!! :P mechanic sympathiser!!! could you be more insulting?!? :lol:

I'm the biggest Tight-As*s there is! I don't think anyone complains more about service costs than i do :lol: was just trying to make a point about the 2ZZ's high compression.

You will find new ones are hard to get but there is some around you would have to hunt around. Which State are you in..... If you are in Victoria I have a dealer friend who maybe able to hunt one down for you. The new Sportivo will not be released till next year. But the mods for a Sportivo are certainly no cheaper than the mods for what you have....Trust me I have spent approx 6 grand or so or so ummmm too scared to think... Thats not including the mods on the way

Melton Toyota in Victoria have two Silver ones left, old style.

Another major difference between the izz-fe and 2zz-ge is the izz-fe has a longer stroke and smaller bore, the 2zz-ge has a shorter stroke and larger bore. This is primarily what allows the 2zz-ge to reach its ballistic redline and why you can never get a izz-fe to rev as high and keep up reliability.

Other features the 2zz-ge has over the izz-fe to allow it to rev higher (more revs-more power) Are things such as better cooling and also oil jets in the block that spray oil directly on the pistons.

If your looking at making an izz-fe go quicker, you're best to work on low to mid range torque rather than outright power.

That's my two cents :lol:

go see our mate bruce @ www.trdsales.com and pick up a TRD CAI will set you back around the $450 mark (depends on the exchange rate) there is a good 5+ kw right there. I was lucky and got 6kw going tonigh with a better filter so ill post results see this thread

Exhaust would then be next on your shopping list.

CAI and Exhaust are the best place to start, simply getting the engine breathing better gives good gains in power.

When shopping around for exhausts, there's a lot of different set up's depending on budget and preference, if you ask everyone who has done an exhaust mod here, you'll find alot of different set ups.

Your best option would be something like what Danz has had done - Headers/Extractors, 2.25" piping and less restrictive rear muffler (Personally I'd stay away from cannonball/straight through rear mufflers though).

And don't forget - Check with your insurance first!

Exhaust would then be next on your shopping list.

CAI and Exhaust are the best place to start, simply getting the engine breathing better gives good gains in power.

When shopping around for exhausts, there's a lot of different set up's depending on budget and preference, if you ask everyone who has done an exhaust mod here, you'll find alot of different set ups.

Your best option would be something like what Danz has had done - Headers/Extractors, 2.25" piping and less restrictive rear muffler (Personally I'd stay away from cannonball/straight through rear mufflers though).

And don't forget - Check with your insurance first!

thanks for the advice man

how come i dont see alot of people here using trd exhaust or headers?

too expensive?? not much power gain?