rattle in certain rev range, changes every day

Ello all...

Ive got a problem. drove to work, parked, started in the arvo then RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE !! AHHH lol.. its between certain rev ranges but changes every day. some days it may be 2-4k then some may be 3-6k... its a metallic rattle like a empty coke can...

im dead set sure its from the exhaust after getting under the car and someone revs it. more noticeable when load applied to the engine. sounds like its from the cat ! or the exhaust manifold. i took the heat shields off to make sure its not them, and its not!

so sure its the cat ! that being said im looking to upgrade cat back CES, their site says $960.. do i need flexi joints or anything for that kit..? p.s i dont think it includes the cat aye just from the cat back..

also another plan is just to change the cat only... whats a good brand and whats the size is it? what labour is involved? im a noobie at exhausts sorry

has any1 heard or had an issue with their cat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3f12_7XvzA

Edited by 123R-Prozak

Hey mate , it was really hard to pick any noise in the clip other than the exhaust . Sorry but being honest.

Obviously when in the car it will be much easier to hear this noise that has you concerned. or ****** off ..

About the CES exhaust , there is a Vic member selling his for $500 and trade for stock (or buyers exhaust)

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28072

All i can say is this is a great exhaust as i have one on my car and the noise is excellent.Great for those long drives as the cabin is not noisey at all.

As far as labour is concerned i think the cheapest you might be looking is $100 to get it done at a shop .Unless you go Cabra laugh.gif

I didnt have an issue with the cat in any of my corollas however i did have a problem on the AE102 where the heat shied used to rattle.. Having said that i have heard of cheap and nasty CATS that have fibre glass in it , just like some shonky mufflers on ebay.

Hey mate , it was really hard to pick any noise in the clip other than the exhaust . Sorry but being honest.

Obviously when in the car it will be much easier to hear this noise that has you concerned. or ****** off ..

About the CES exhaust , there is a Vic member selling his for $500 and trade for stock (or buyers exhaust)

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28072

All i can say is this is a great exhaust as i have one on my car and the noise is excellent.Great for those long drives as the cabin is not noisey at all.

As far as labour is concerned i think the cheapest you might be looking is $100 to get it done at a shop .Unless you go Cabra laugh.gif

I didnt have an issue with the cat in any of my corollas however i did have a problem on the AE102 where the heat shied used to rattle.. Having said that i have heard of cheap and nasty CATS that have fibre glass in it , just like some shonky mufflers on ebay.

I need a cat aswell tho. Plus I'm in syd

after i had my exhaust done, i developed a distinct metallic rattle that wasn't consistent at any particular rev range from day to day.

when i got underneath the car i had a poke around, and discovered that where the resonator is, theres a metal strip that goes across the gap in the actual body of the car. as the exhaust pipe was fatter, it reduced the clearance between the pipe and this strip to about 2-3 mm. when the engine was under load it would move the exhaust pipe, causing it to occasionally hit and rattle on this strip.

i just took it off, bent it slightly, filed larger holes in it for the mounting bolts and put it back on, and the clearance is just under an inch now. no issues since!

maybe check that? the strip is painted black, so if it is the pipe vibrating against this strip, the paint will be scratched where it makes contact.

Edited by lateralus

after i had my exhaust done, i developed a distinct metallic rattle that wasn't consistent at any particular rev range from day to day.

when i got underneath the car i had a poke around, and discovered that where the resonator is, theres a metal strip that goes across the gap in the actual body of the car. as the exhaust pipe was fatter, it reduced the clearance between the pipe and this strip to about 2-3 mm. when the engine was under load it would move the exhaust pipe, causing it to occasionally hit and rattle on this strip.

i just took it off, bent it slightly, filed larger holes in it for the mounting bolts and put it back on, and the clearance is just under an inch now. no issues since!

maybe check that? the strip is painted black, so if it is the pipe vibrating against this strip, the paint will be scratched where it makes contact.

+1 Had the same issue

mate reality is that rattles are the hardest to diagnose unless u work through each possibility one at a time and see if it resolves the issues.

some known rattle issues that ive experience with the stivo which have moved around the rev range like you are experiencing have been:

- the gear selector cables

- the cat

- the retainer springs in the clutch

- the exhaust hitting a heat shield

these are just some there could possibly be more possibilities in your case and without experiencing it first hand its a bit hard to tell what the issue could be.

I have the same rattle only when its a really cold day. Rattle is definately the exhaust as once i started the car and it rattled so got out and starting poking around. But driving abit around and metal expands abit when warms up. So no more rattling. Doesnt bother me as much now...

Could be a cracked resonator..

so this 'crack' will be noticeable on inspection?

I have the same rattle only when its a really cold day. Rattle is definately the exhaust as once i started the car and it rattled so got out and starting poking around. But driving abit around and metal expands abit when warms up. So no more rattling. Doesnt bother me as much now...

driving from seven hills to richmond the noise went away on arrival... but on the way from richmond to penrith noise came back... noise is there hot or cold...