CAI in Corolla Sportivo

Hey Guys,

I just bought myself an 03 Corolla Sportivo last fri (i'll get some pics of it on here very soon!) and let me just say i love it!

So the first engine mod i am considering is putting a complete CAI in it. I have been looking around to find out if it is worth it for the power you gain, and what increase you do get. From what i see its around 7.5 hp.. jus wondering if any of you have some input on this (e.g. brands)? Also, there seems to be a number of people who have said they actually lost power so im wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any comments to make. I was considering either TRD or AEM, TRD to keep it in the family and AEM cause they have a good rep.

Cheers!!!

BEST mod u can do for your money :)

i put my AEM CAI in and the change is incredible... i don’t know if u actually feel an increase in 'power' perse butt u certainly hear it ... from 4k up it has heaps more (nice sounding) noise.. and once u hit 6k .... it screams!

its possible u loose a tiny bit low down .. and when i saw tiny i mean tinyyyy! but the low down im referring to is like below 2k which in a Sportivo u dont rev / change much at anyway due its nature

for 300-360 bucks u cant go wrong ... btw AEM, TRD... they all good :)

I think another strong point with the CAI is not just the power but the placebo effect and the "seat of the pants" effect that you get from the noise...You really don't understand 'til you've experienced it. Today I drove one of our stock stivo's and it was dead boring and didn't seem as quick or as fun as even my modded 1ZZ (obviously it has more power but it feels boring in delivery). Drove micky's stivo a few hours ago and with the intake plus exhaust it just seems so much more fun and I dare say the low to midrange is much stronger (not just top end obviously), but this could be explained by variation from car to car I guess. But when you hit lift, you know you're in lift, and hearing that screaming you just do not want to change gear :D

In closing, I reckon the CAI will make you love your car that little bit much, just 'cos it's more fun and "feels" better. If you aren't sure, rock up to a meet, make some friends and go for a ride in somebody's CAI equipped car...

You will be :o 'd

I have the AEM CAI installed 2 months ago on my 03 stivo. Yup, it's great on the top end, especially during lift and you will said "WoW" :yahoo:

The only cons with the CAI is my car use lot more petrol than before, and slower on the low end (1000~3000rpm) with just the CAI mod. :ph34r:

I think, CAI is good if getting mod with exhaust and ECU, or something like E-managment or CAMCON.

I have the AEM CAI installed 2 months ago on my 03 stivo. Yup, it's great on the top end, especially during lift and you will said "WoW" :yahoo:

The only cons with the CAI is my car use lot more petrol than before, and slower on the low end (1000~3000rpm) with just the CAI mod. :ph34r:

I think, CAI is good if getting mod with exhaust and ECU, or something like E-managment or CAMCON.

did you do an ECU reset??

i get better fuel consumption with CAI.. before was getting 580-620 ks a tank (i drive HARDDD though so i was happy) now i get 650-700 ... still driving VERY hard and stilll very very happy :)

always used 98 octane fuel though...

did you do an ECU reset??

i get better fuel consumption with CAI.. before was getting 580-620 ks a tank (i drive HARDDD though so i was happy) now i get 650-700 ... still driving VERY hard and stilll very very happy :)

always used 98 octane fuel though...

Yes, I did reset the ECU, but still use more petrol compare to standard airbox lol.. :blink:

by the way, I normally using V-Power or Votex, but I get stuck in traffic for at least an hour everyday (excepted Sat and Sun), so might be at idle or low rpm my car use more petrol with CAI than std airbox.. not sure lol..

I normally get 480~500km a tank, but with the CAI is only up around 420~450km a tank now. :ph34r:

Does anyone have any A/F dyno figures with standard airbox compare to CAI??

Hey thanks to everyone for ur replies

By the way, ironically, one of my mates bought an 03 stivo about a week before i got mine (and neither of us knew the other was gettin it)

He's got a TRD CAI and i agree, the scream it makes when u hit lift is... well i got excited... haha. However, im also keen for performance so thats why i thought id check with u guys. I'd love to make it to the next meet.. ill see if my mate is coming too.. would be great to see wat everyone has been doing to there cars..

I know you already know this... but how awesome is lift... honestly i'd never felt anything like it till i drove my new baby. Funny story for u all too... i was driving in the wet last weekend when i hit lift in 2nd and i spun the wheels.. i was pretty impressed to spin the wheels at around 80 km/h... go the mighty rollas!!!

some1 memtioned it is slower on the low end (1000~3000rpm) with just the CAI mod. Does that mean the car's performace will actually be slower? By modifying the car, we always expect it to be either faster or stabler. But CAI doesn't help in this case. :blink: (sorry for a very noobie question!)

some1 memtioned it is slower on the low end (1000~3000rpm) with just the CAI mod. Does that mean the car's performace will actually be slower? By modifying the car, we always expect it to be either faster or stabler. But CAI doesn't help in this case. :blink: (sorry for a very noobie question!)

My solution to this Sheldon would be the CES exhaust or a 2.5" exhaust upgrade. It should give you that 1ZZ-like torque punch between 2000-4000RPM... Good combination with the CAI

My solution to this Sheldon would be the CES exhaust or a 2.5" exhaust upgrade. It should give you that 1ZZ-like torque punch between 2000-4000RPM... Good combination with the CAI

Add a set of CES headers and it has balls of low end grunt but the downside is the progression onto lift isn't as sharp due to the engine making more power off lift.

But it also makes it very nice to drive in traffic and at low speeds and eliminates the need downshift to accelerate if the need be.

The extra fuel consumption after installing a CAI would be the heavy right foot to hear the noise me thinks....

My old CES lost power in the low end vey undrivable, Id say my TRD has more low end, much nicer to drive than stock.

My old CES lost power in the low end vey undrivable, Id say my TRD has more low end, much nicer to drive than stock.

i dunno what you guys are doing down there to get these results..... :blink:

Not directed to anyone in general, just that it should be wise for people to at least read the rules first. There is a whole heap of info regarding CAI its like one of the most debated topics ever on this forum. A search would net you about three pages of relevent results.

i dunno what you guys are doing down there to get these results..... :blink:

Maybe the CES intakes don't agree with the Melbourne weather haha, i dunno.

But with the TRD I have found that it has alot more pick-up and actually pulls well when putting your foot down in 6th gear (or any other gears) compared with the stock airbox.

Any cold air intake will give you power... been proven many times.

Sheldon next time we meet you can drive my car with the intake and CES exhaust - definately more power down low as well as up top.