The Death of TRD

December 19, 2008

TRD – OPERATIONAL CHANGE

Toyota Australia has announced an operational change to its TRD performance brand.

TRD vehicle conversions will cease from March 31, 2009.

The decision has been made as a result of an on-going review of the vehicle conversion activity.

The review's conclusion has been amplified by the world economic downturn and the need to achieve significant operational efficiencies.

"Toyota has a responsibility to ensure its core business activities, and the people who rely on them, are protected for the long term," said David Buttner, senior executive director Toyota Australia.

Toyota has delivered 888 TRD vehicles (to November 30, 2008), 537 TRD Aurion and 351 TRD HiLux.

The Australian-designed and built TRD had been five years in planning.

The first vehicle, TRD Aurion, was launched 16 months ago, followed by TRD HiLux.

"Toyota made a significant financial commitment to TRD vehicle conversion and clearly understood short-term profitability was unlikely," Mr Buttner said.

"However, the perspective has changed for business globally and those new rules require tough decisions for the greater good.

"This is one of those decisions.

"With the realities of the financial crisis and the downturn in consumer confidence, companies worldwide have an overriding responsibility to do their utmost to conserve cash – and Toyota is doing just that," Mr Buttner said.

Mr Buttner said all TRD owners would be covered by Toyota's new-vehicle warranty and the company would guarantee the continuing supply of parts to meet its legal obligations.

Every TRD component is a registered Toyota part.

All seventeen Toyota employees involved in the TRD operation will be redeployed within Toyota.

Mr Buttner said TRD had been a valuable project in developing and proving expertise within Toyota Australia.

"The decision to move TRD's focus from vehicle conversion was made with the best interest of its customers and its network in mind.

"In the current circumstances the decision is correct and the outcome will be positive."

Toyota Australia will lead the overall Australian automotive market for the sixth successive year in 2008.

Annual sales figures to be released in January are expected to reveal customer demand for Toyota and trust in its core product range are at record levels.

ends....

Had to happen

That means despite the advertising ploy that the current ZRE152 Corolla is the hottest ever, that in fact the Corolla Sportivo 2003-2005 is the hottest Corolla to ever leave the Toyota production line.

Get a piece of automotive history while you can.

For you lucky TRD Aurion owners, your car just became all the more special.

whitestivo

So a TRD Aurion is a 'collectors piece'?

Made my argument to the missus just that much more convincing...its an 'INVESTMENT' darling.

Sad to see but I somehow expected it, they are popular...but not THAT popular cos of the price. Bring on a TRD Yaris or Rolla & it will be different.

Bring on a TRD Yaris or Rolla & it will be different.

Apparently that isn't going to happen.

No more TRD Australia = no rumoured third TRD model.

Haha - and this decision was probably made a while ago... which means that supposed 'TRD Corolla', that Motor Magazine posted spy-photos of a coupla months back, is nothing more than a zre 152 with optioned spoiler and wheels. :P

Remember what you told me Rowan about these TRD Aurion's being a keeper if you have one. Now it got that little bit more rare.

yep if you have a TRD Aurion hold onto it cos they will be worth alot of money in years to come!! u can get an ex gov. one for abotu 35k atm but as soon as they all clear out u wont see them for that anymore. this will happen to alot of cars in years to come when fuel prices get really bad again. as i would emagine the FPV F6 would be another collector item in 10 - 15 years. these might be the HG monaros and XY GTHO's of tomorow.

Edited by eSEXSIX

Bring on a TRD Yaris or Rolla & it will be different.

Apparently that isn't going to happen.

No more TRD Australia = no rumoured third TRD model.

No, as in if they broke into the market with a lower priced model to gain the following (without being rich to own one) & then they release the Hilux/Aurions. Obviously the 'economic crisis' has stuffed everything but disregarding that - its much hard to start up a business with a product that the general public cant afford.

When people who work for the corporation puts things such as pre-launch TAMS data, pre-API, API data and press releases out onto public forums, you better look out coz there are people in this corporation that actually car about company confidentiality rather than be a hero on a public forum... there has been serious breaches of confidentiality and when it says embargo, it means just that. Sure Dave sent the email at 11:04am, but that doesn't mean it's for immediate distribution. If it says an API is not for dealer distribution, I think it covers the public.... do you want to be out of a job in this economic climate?

Edited by SmellyTofu

YESSS!!! My car has just become LIMITED EDITION!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

ill trade u mine and 10k how bout that??? :spiteful: sweet deal i think haha

You sure? You've seen the way I flog her.

Anyway, I feel bad for TRD. They were just finding their performance legs in Australia, and I think their first attempt was a stellar one. They didn't just tack on performance without other considerations, but made a powerful car that was great to drive and good on fuel. I really hope they come back and make that TRD Corolla.

When people who work for the corporation puts things such as pre-launch TAMS data, pre-API, API data and press releases out onto public forums, you better look out coz there are people in this corporation that actually car about company confidentiality rather than be a hero on a public forum... there has been serious breaches of confidentiality and when it says embargo, it means just that. Sure Dave sent the email at 11:04am, but that doesn't mean it's for immediate distribution. If it says an API is not for dealer distribution, I think it covers the public.... do you want to be out of a job in this economic climate?

The press release in question was on a public web site http://www.pressroom.com.au/home.asp?clientID=2 before the embargo time.

Edited by SupaTouring

Remember what you told me Rowan about these TRD Aurion's being a keeper if you have one. Now it got that little bit more rare.

yep if you have a TRD Aurion hold onto it cos they will be worth alot of money in years to come!! u can get an ex gov. one for abotu 35k atm but as soon as they all clear out u wont see them for that anymore. this will happen to alot of cars in years to come when fuel prices get really bad again. as i would emagine the FPV F6 would be another collector item in 10 - 15 years. these might be the HG monaros and XY GTHO's of tomorow.

hg monaros, gtho of tomorrow please dont insult australian automotive history if a bogin heard u say that he would throw a vb stuby at your head

The press release in question was on a public web site http://www.pressroom.com.au/home.asp?clientID=2 before the embargo time.

Where is a date stamp on their release?

And then even if it is so, where was the reference to the original post other than a quick copy paste of the PDF by an obvious Toyota employee from the email bulletin.

Edited by SmellyTofu

hg monaros, gtho of tomorrow please dont insult australian automotive history if a bogin heard u say that he would throw a vb stuby at your head

u recon those cars are better then the F6's and TRD's????? i hardly think thats an insult

good cars 'for there time'

hahahaha

Hmm owning a 1 out of 537 and knowing not too many more are going to be produced is a nice feeling.

Regardless of what the critics say, I think those that own a TRD (and Toyota fans in general) would obviously be sadden by the death of the company in it's current guise but would be bloody chuffed that they own one of the few models produced :yahoo:

u recon those cars are better then the F6's and TRD's????? i hardly think thats an insult

good cars 'for there time'

i don't see trd's going for $300,000 in 30 years time though :P

Mannnn...Lookin at this topic...Really makes me want to trade ins my Zr to a TRD...

How much u guys reckon I should be lookin at for this plan...? For a new one with full gps and moonroof.

Or alternatively demos with the same options..

Reckon it's worth it?

Mannnn...Lookin at this topic...Really makes me want to trade ins my Zr to a TRD...

How much u guys reckon I should be lookin at for this plan...? For a new one with full gps and moonroof.

Reckon it's worth it?

DOOOO EEEETTTT

Reckon it's worth it?

If you can spare the money, by all means. If you're thinking of getting a loan to finance this, as long as you understand the risks in this economic climate and are prepared to wear the depreciation, I say go for it.

Also, they've released a few new colours for the TRD Aurions. I like the new orange Inferno colour! Check it out on the TRD website http://www.trd.com.au