Water Leak in Boot

Since new I have experienced rain water in the passenger's side boot well. So far we have identified, water leaking from rear window, roof seam, boot vent, boot rubber and still water comes in. I now suspect that there is also water leaking from petrol filler or somewhere above that area as I have tracked water marks to that area. There also seems to be some coming in around near the rear light assembly. Can someone please help as this is an unbelievable problem.

Edited by julian040859

Since new I have experienced rain water in the passenger's side boot well. So far we have identified, water leaking from rear window, roof seam, boot vent, boot rubber and still water comes in. I now suspect that there is also water leaking from petrol filler or somewhere above that area as I have tracked water marks to that area. There also seems to be some coming in around near the rear light assembly. Can someone please help as this is an unbelievable problem.

You too eh?

I've had this problem for a fair while myself, unfortunately we've yet to locate the cause. I've worked with my dealer for many a month trying to figure it out but just no dice.

Initially it started on the drivers side, but that was a seperate issue.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Before I bought mine (used), the spare wheel well had a pool of water in it and there was mildew built up on the rim and tyre, and the wheel cover and boot mat were damp. I made them fix it for free or I wasn't buying it. Apparently there are rubber seals between the spoiler mounts and boot lid, and these were knackered for some reason. They replaced the seals and cleaned out the boot and fixed it all up. Had no trouble since, and my car lives outdoors in Tassie with our crappy tassie rain.

I too had this problem with water in my spare tyre area and mold growing on the boot floor <_< <_< <_<. This was at the dealer :angry: :angry: :angry:

I found my problem to be the boot seal. It was bottom seal that was out of its socket.

Have a look at the entire boot seal and see if it's in its actual spot. If not then you can push it back in.

You too eh?

I've had this problem for a fair while myself, unfortunately we've yet to locate the cause. I've worked with my dealer for many a month trying to figure it out but just no dice.

Can you tell me where you think it is coming from , perhaps one of the spots identified already in my vehicle? What have you tried, mine seems to be worse when you actually drive while it is raining, I think the wind pressure forces water in.

You too eh?

Can you tell me where you think it is coming from , perhaps one of the spots identified already in my vehicle? What have you tried, mine seems to be worse when you actually drive while it is raining, I think the wind pressure forces water in.

Well I've had pretty much everything tried, boot seals, window realignment, grommets checked. But I suspect it's something coming up through the wheel well maybe. But I am unsure. It's only in the left pocket now. I haven't had the actual spare wheel section fill with water since a while back. So I'm not sure.

RIGHT!

I finally found the possible entrance of the leak. I noticed when I got to the car today (I had washed it yesterday), there was some condensation buildup in the passenger side tail light. Low and behold there's a puddle sitting in the bottom of said taillight!

It's going in to the dealer tomorrow to have it investigated and replaced. :)

I have the same problem, I got my boot vent replaced with the updated version recently and thought that fixed it until check on weekend and found a puddle of water :(

Ill climb in my boot tomorrow hopefully and find where its leaking.

RIGHT!

I finally found the possible entrance of the leak. I noticed when I got to the car today (I had washed it yesterday), there was some condensation buildup in the passenger side tail light. Low and behold there's a puddle sitting in the bottom of said taillight!

It's going in to the dealer tomorrow to have it investigated and replaced. :)

Thanks mate, let me know how you get on.

I Had a quick check today and found my boot vent had popped out again and was the cause for the leak

That's the exact cause on mine aswell. Had it checked yesterday and low and behold. It's coming in from there. So they're replacing the vent and putting stuff to seal it around it too.

• 1 month later...

I Had a quick check today and found my boot vent had popped out again and was the cause for the leak

That's the exact cause on mine aswell. Had it checked yesterday and low and behold. It's coming in from there. So they're replacing the vent and putting stuff to seal it around it too.

I found this topic in a search today.

Where is this boot vent, and what does it look like ?

Thanks!

On each side of your boot in the area where the car jack is stored and the same place on the opposite side, you will find a vent like this:

di-11128756678812.jpg

For lack of a better photo, you can see the opposite side here with the bumper removed:

di-112875670939.jpg

On each side of your boot in the area where the car jack is stored and the same place on the opposite side, you will find a vent like this:

di-11128756678812.jpg

For lack of a better photo, you can see the opposite side here with the bumper removed:

di-112875670939.jpg

Thanks, DJKOR for the excellent info and pictures, much appreciated !

• 4 weeks later...

Interested to know if anyone has seen water around petrol filler, rear yellow clip behind hard black plastic trim and around tail light assembly in the actual boot lid? See pictures attached, you need to remove the trim on each to see the leak.

post-6135-0-87823300-1290051791_thumb.jp

post-6135-0-52883100-1290051827_thumb.jp

post-6135-0-31600200-1290052110_thumb.jp

Edited by julian040859

• 4 weeks later...

Interested to know if anyone has seen water around petrol filler, rear yellow clip behind hard black plastic trim and around tail light assembly in the actual boot lid? See pictures attached, you need to remove the trim on each to see the leak.

I too am getting water in the rhs where the jack lives.

I plan too take all the lining out of the boot, fold the seats down and have my son hose the car while I am inside the car with a torch.

Mine is a 2006 build 2007 Altise.

Let you all know how I get on.

• 6 months later...

To locate my boot leak (RHS tool pocket), I used strips of blotting paper to locate the actual leaking area.

I kept the strips short to avoid them touching each other for pinpoint location (used small bits of tape to attach them).

The image shows the location.

Edit: the image attachment doesn't seem to get here.

How to upload ?

Edited by Auri 7

To locate my boot leak (RHS tool pocket), I used strips of blotting paper to locate the actual leaking area.

I kept the strips short to avoid them touching each other for pinpoint location (used small bits of tape to attach them).

How to upload ?

Ok, had to enable the upload in settings first

post-20280-0-08677800-1309514047_thumb.j

Well I also had water around the spare. Had my son hose the car whilst I was inside with a torch and nothing. Dried it all out, siliconed the boot seal in place and also around the inside gaps of the tail lights. I also drilled a hole in the lowest point of the rhs where the tool kit and jack live as that had a fair wake of water in it. This was a few months ago now. So far all good and we have had some heavy rain.

Again this is on a 2007 Gen 6 Altise so YMMV.

Spied.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a boot leak. I took it to a Dealer in a different state from where I purchased as I am traveling. The Service Manager explained the car had been in a crash and hadn't had the rear screen replaced properly. I was stunned. The dealer I purchased it from strongly denies it was crashed. I can't pick it myself. If it has crashed the repair job is really good. The rear screen is a genuine Toyota one. Maybe this is actually an original fitting problem???

• 2 months later...

How to upload ?

Ok, had to enable the upload in settings first

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, just having bought a 2008 model prodigy, today I noticed the same fault described here with my car where water is leaking into the driver side jack well and it appears to be coming from inside the wheel arch (precisely a described in the diagram), also I am certain water is NOT coming from the boot seals at the bottom. Since this appears to be a common problem, has anyone had any luck getting it fixed? Any advise is really appreciated as this is begining to bother me quite a bit.

I found the best way was to set up a light going through the rear seat armrest hole into boot, I was able to watch water coming in without openeing the boot lid. I also pulled out the side and rear lining which made it easier to track the leaks. I found several leaks as per this thread. Sometimes you need to drive the car at speed to get the pressure up to force water in, sometimes I found that depending on the incline I parked, I got different results. Good Luck!