Noob trying to drive 05 Stivo...

Hey guys... I'm new to the forum incase you couldn't tell ;)

Anyways... Recently, we bought ourselves a 2005 Black Corolla Sportivo. By we, I mean it's a car that my family shares... Mainly driven by me and my brother(s)... I love it... And you guys might not like the sound of this... But I'm actually learning to drive manual with this car :blink:

Pics:

09092006391noplateor2.jpg

09092006393noplatewj3.jpg

I'm getting used to the whole manual thing... And I actually love it. BUT... I'm having trouble shifting out of 1st gear once the car has hit lift. It's as if the clutch isn't engaging or something... The gearstick just gets stuck there and becomes very hard to move until the revs drop enough to get the car out of lift... If I do try hard enough and get it out of first, it's just as hard to push into 2nd. I learnt my lesson of not hitting lift when the car is still cold... So I wait till it's warm before trying it. But it's very annoying... When I'm trying to take off reasonably quickly, I've actually been shifting out of 1st at just under 6k to avoid hitting lift, and then taking 2nd into lift. There is no other problems with shifting whilst in lift at all... Just that one.

Now... Am I doing something wrong here or does this sound like a problem with the car???

Thanks for the help in advance... Please don't blast me :(

Cheers :)

Edited by STi GUi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice buy man

do a searching !! ull find alot of things

but basically get your clutch adjusted could be synchros but ther eis a common problem with a sticky box on stivos >> take it to toyota and they can adjust your clutch

jonno

nice buy man

do a searching !! ull find alot of things

but basically get your clutch adjusted could be synchros but ther eis a common problem with a sticky box on stivos >> take it to toyota and they can adjust your clutch

jonno

I honestly did a search... Searched for things to do with '1st gear' but nothing came up :blink:

Hmmm... Ok then... Next service... I'll try get a word in with the mechanic or something...

Thanks for that buddy... I was worried it was me...

Cheers :D

If you hit the redline in 1st then you will probably have trouble hitting 2nd. Think of the engine as being too fast for the 'box.

Many drivers means a greater pool of resources (read: cash) for mods! Start buyin'! Haha :P

Welcome

If you hit the redline in 1st then you will probably have trouble hitting 2nd. Think of the engine as being too fast for the 'box.

Many drivers means a greater pool of resources (read: cash) for mods! Start buyin'! Haha :P

Welcome

Yeah I try not to hit redline... It does come pretty quickly in 1st though, especially if you lose traction... Can't help myself sometimes :D

Hahaha yeah... But I'm the only one with mods in mind... :P

Do you brothers have the same problem? It could just be down to inexperience. You could always trying 'double clutching' into 2nd, simply by moving in one movement to neutral quickly stabbing the throttle and then shifting into 2nd. It should definately go in. It also sounds awesome!!

Welcome

Yeah I try not to hit redline... It does come pretty quickly in 1st though, especially if you lose traction... Can't help myself sometimes :D

OK we need to send a SA member to your place, someone with a Cold Air Intake fitted, do we have many SA members? Once your brothers hear that they'll literally be spooging cash into the project :D

Do you brothers have the same problem? It could just be down to inexperience. You could always trying 'double clutching' into 2nd, simply by moving in one movement to neutral quickly stabbing the throttle and then shifting into 2nd. It should definately go in. It also sounds awesome!!

I don't know if I want to be telling my brothers how hard I thrash the thing... Just incase something goes wrong... I'll cop the blame... Especially because I'm the youngest :P

searching for 'shifting issues' may have helped or any number of variations... 1 failed search, a complete search, it does not make ;)

Ahhh toushe Yoda... I'm usually the one telling noobs off... Feels weird on the receiving end :o

Welcome

OK we need to send a SA member to your place, someone with a Cold Air Intake fitted, do we have many SA members? Once your brothers hear that they'll literally be spooging cash into the project :D

Haha yeah... I've heard they sound awesome with a CAI... Very tempting... Spending money on the Suby at the moment though :ph34r:

I see heaps of Stivos around Adelaide... No one waves back though :(

hey if he was on the site 2 weeks ago, I would have made a visit while I was over in Adelaide :D :clap::clap::clap:

DAMN! You missed out STi GUi, what better S'tivo to be given a demo in than the fastest on the forum!

I don't know if I want to be telling my brothers how hard I thrash the thing... Just incase something goes wrong... I'll cop the blame... Especially because I'm the youngest :P

Ho ho ho now... AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH :P :D :lol: Don't even talk to me about sibling inequality!!!!!!!!!!

...........................still can't beleive I only got a 1ZZ

Hahaha yeah... Being the youngest sucks...

Wait... What mods are you running Blue_Stivo???

I don't really know if I want to double clutch again... Last time I tried that... It didn't shift out of first so when I left go of the clutch it dropped it back into 1st whilst still in lift... Made some scary sounds... Not doing that again :blink:

It's definately annoying but the next service is coming up soon... So I'll talk to mechanic hopefully... As long as he doesn't then go to my old man "ok, here's the bill... Oh and this here is for the labour of fixing the 'box problem... your son said it had problems shifting out of first gear once he's hit redline... anyways, its all fixed now"

It's so bloody annoying... I was taking on a Clio Sport... and we were even till I hit lift in 1st where I pulled away... Then I went to shift into 2nd and wouldn't you know it... I couldn't :angry:

Hahaha yeah... Being the youngest sucks...

Wait... What mods are you running Blue_Stivo???

Exhaust, CAI & coilovers are the main ones, and all you really need to have a bit of fun.

Like they said you don't need the exedy HD clutch, wait until the stock one dies 1st ;)

Just get the clutch pivot point adjusted correctly by Toyota and it'll be fine

Hey guys... I'm new to the forum incase you couldn't tell ;)

Anyways... Recently, we bought ourselves a 2005 Black Corolla Sportivo. By we, I mean it's a car that my family shares... Mainly driven by me and my brother(s)... I love it... And you guys might not like the sound of this... But I'm actually learning to drive manual with this car :blink:

Pics:

09092006391noplateor2.jpg

09092006393noplatewj3.jpg

I'm getting used to the whole manual thing... And I actually love it. BUT... I'm having trouble shifting out of 1st gear once the car has hit lift. It's as if the clutch isn't engaging or something... The gearstick just gets stuck there and becomes very hard to move until the revs drop enough to get the car out of lift... If I do try hard enough and get it out of first, it's just as hard to push into 2nd. I learnt my lesson of not hitting lift when the car is still cold... So I wait till it's warm before trying it. But it's very annoying... When I'm trying to take off reasonably quickly, I've actually been shifting out of 1st at just under 6k to avoid hitting lift, and then taking 2nd into lift. There is no other problems with shifting whilst in lift at all... Just that one.

Now... Am I doing something wrong here or does this sound like a problem with the car???

Thanks for the help in advance... Please don't blast me :(

You need a clutch pedal height adjustment, some dealers don't know about it, I tried a couple of toyota dealers but on advice from another forum member I took it to Lexus to get it adjusted.

First to second at redline is now slick.

Hey man, don't mean to whine on like the annoying pr1ck old guy (not that i am old :P ) but maybe you need to learn how to drive properly before trying to treat your nice sportivo that your parents brought for you like a race car?

Get some experience in driving the car like like a normal traffic dwelling vehicle, not only will it reduce the chance of doing damage to your car and p1ssing off of the olds but you could very well save yourself from harm to yourself and others.

Also, i would hold off on taking to the car with an angle grinder mods wise until you have mastered what the car has to offer standard.

Again sorry mate, there is nothing wrong with enjoying your toys ;) but we have to remember how expensive and dangerous they can be :(

Cheers

Nice mods. I was reading a bit about the CES system... Sounds like its the way to go... Might have to look around for a video or sound clip though...

Mintos - I know what you're saying... And I can drive the car normally very well... I just love hearing the sound of Lift though :P Also... No offence taken :)

Also... I put a lot of my money towards it... So did my brother... Dad just payed the gap that was left after we sold our Echo and put that money towards it as well.

Cheers for the help/advice guys :D Much appreciated.

dont mean too sound like a old fart too but if you do cain it too much you will eventually break something. I have payed the consequences for being inexperienced with my stivo and was lucky to be covered by warranty.

So if your going to hit lift like over a dozen times on a 30 min commute then i would suggest a HD clutch cause constant 1-2 "in lift" shifts will fry it. Other than that i did have the same issue with my 05' and normally toyota dont know it as a "clutch adjustment" at least thats what 3 service centres told me, its the free play you have in your clutch from engagement to the full release i had mine reduced an now i finally have perfect 1-2 shift in lift. Time for a drag again vvtlir (prob still kik my butt :lol: )

dont mean too sound like a old fart too but if you do cain it too much you will eventually break something. I have payed the consequences for being inexperienced with my stivo and was lucky to be covered by warranty.

So if your going to hit lift like over a dozen times on a 30 min commute then i would suggest a HD clutch cause constant 1-2 "in lift" shifts will fry it. Other than that i did have the same issue with my 05' and normally toyota dont know it as a "clutch adjustment" at least thats what 3 service centres told me, its the free play you have in your clutch from engagement to the full release i had mine reduced an now i finally have perfect 1-2 shift in lift. Time for a drag again vvtlir (prob still kik my butt :lol: )

Yeah I don't hit lift in 1st anymore... Only done it a couple times... I learnt my lesson after that. I don't speed either, so if I do hit lift, it'll only be in 2nd if I want to get to a speed limit of 110km/h or so... No need to hit lift in normal driving... It's pretty zippy normally anyways.