3VZ-FE Spark Plug Change

HoldenBoi

To all the naysayers that think the spark plugs in an 92 - 96 V6 Camry can't be changed without removing the intake plenum: it's not easy but possible.

I had a dead cylinder so I started with the basics. Leads are 2 months old so time for new plugs. Total time, just under 45 minutes (10 minutes for the front bank).
However, I have: 20 years professional experience (although I've never done this particular job before)
all the right tools (extensions, uni joints)
very small hands

So, now I can say I've done it but, I still have a dead cylender.... more on that later

Edited by HoldenBoi

I believe Toyota have tools to allow the sparks to be changed on the 3vz and 1mz engines without having to take off the plenum chamber.

No one has said it's impossible, but most say it's so much of a problem without the right tools that it's not worth the swears that ensue when trying.

To all the naysayers that think the spark plugs in an 92 - 96 V6 Camry can't be changed without removing the intake plenum: it's not easy but possible.

I had a dead cylender so I started with the basics. Leads are 2 months old so time for new plugs. Total time, just under 45 minutes (10 minutes for the front bank).

However, I have: 20 years professional experience (although I've never done this particular job before)

very small hands

So, now I can say I've done it but, I still have a dead cylender.... more on that later

Isolated injector or compression checked the cylinder yet?

Edited by trentmeyer23

I had a dead cylender so I started with the basics. Leads are 2 months old so time for new plugs. Total time, just under 45 minutes (10 minutes for the front bank).

very small hands

Isolated injector or compression checked the cylinder yet?

They're next on the list, but thanks. The funny thing is it only happens once the engine heats up. I'm seriously thinking injector.

More soon

Edited by HoldenBoi

Update: Spent most of the day (& most of my money) with the mechanic.

Distributor cap: piece broken off at the bottom - replaced, onboard injector clean done, runs great for about 15 minutes then #3 dies while the mechanic is driving. Put it on the diagnosis scanner & no signal from the rear oxygen sensor. Now I acquire replacement & see if that fixes it.

Process of elimination has now cost nearly $500 in the last 3 days

Edited by HoldenBoi

I can't see why a rear bank oxygen sensor would kill one cylinder only, but stranger things have happened.

That's exactly what I thought so, this morning, I disconnected both O2 sensors; no better, no worse. I'll try switching them & see what happens.

I'm also about to start pricing new injectors

Well, haven't I had a busy afternoon.

After doing a sound check on my injectors I noticed that #3 (yes, the one under the middle of the plenum chamber) was considerably quieter than all the others so I bit the bullet & pulled it out, swapping it with it's front opposite. Guess what happened: yes, the missfire moved! So, off to the wreckers & forked out $100 for a set of injectors from a low Ks, gas powered unit. New injectors with new O rings (I'm not taking any chances, I don't want to have to do this again) & it runs like a new car

:yahoo:

What have I learned from this?

1. Get a better mechanic! (the guy I used said he did his apprenticeship on these cars & still couldn't figure it out)

2. Always remember Occams Razor - the simplest answer is usually the right one

Thanks to trentmeyer23 for the input

Thanks also to greycliffe for the link to the 3VZ-FE workshop manual

BINGO!!! :yahoo:

Sadly though, pulling that plug could have saved you $500.

As they say, "hindsight is 20 20", hence the need for a new mechanic.

If you read back though, I was thinking injector on Sunday; should've gone with my gut & left the mechanic out of it

Edited by HoldenBoi