Stock Speaker Quality

CjRasmu

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems like a lot of work?

seems like more of a time saver to just get a capacitor.

if the cap stops the lights dimming when the music is pumping.. then its worth it.

the response/jaycar type caps are cheaper on ebay. check em out if you plan on going that way.

also wondering what would solve the lights dimming when you press the automatic window switches at night

Edited by JJCRU23R

Why buy a Cap when you can improve your wiring for a lot less money? Especially if the Cap does nothing anyway.

And like I said, a better battery will give you enough overhead to be able to run multiple electronics at full power at the same time. In my last car I never had diming headlights etc after I upgraded to an Optima Yellow Top.

Cheers,

C.j

After a fair bit of reading (mostly on CAA), this is what I'm going to do (in chronological order):

1) Install capacitor: 1F Response (Jaycar) item, bought off Mario for $75, never used.

2) Upgrade all ground wires from components plus upgrade the whole car earthing system coutesty of SuperDave's DIY thread

3) New Battery (if needed)

4) Better Monoblock amp (later down the track)

I don't care about time or money or capacitors only being rice, I just want stuff to do in the uni break rather than sitting on my @ss, playing with the car is fun :yahoo:

If you've been reading on CAA, then you will have read that Caps are useless. But seing how you don't care, then just make sure to post up pics of your install once finished. :P

Cheers,

C.j

LOL EXACTLY :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll make it look good ;) That's the fun of it

and why would u wanna amp the stock speakers?

Cause I don't have good speakers yet. And won't have for a while, so wanted to know if I should bother or not etc.

Cheers,

C.j

If you think about it, stock speakers will have the same amount of output as the stock head unit can handle. If you hook up an amp to stock speakers, I'm guessing it will make a bit of difference, could it damage the speakers? Too much power from the amp?

I have the gain on the amps turned right down, because yes, the stock speakers couldn't handle all the power I was feeding them.

Also, have now put new speakers in the rear doors. And I hate the original mounting setup. It is great for the stock speakers, but a huge pain in the **** if you ever want to replace the speakers. Did other people use the original plastic mounts, or just get new ones or something?

I have just hacked up the original and stuck the new speaker in. I am getting a bit of extra vibration tho, because the originals were padded all over.

Cheers,

C.j

Did other people use the original plastic mounts, or just get new ones or something?

i was in the process of making fibreglass pods so that the speakers would be angled upwards, towards the ears of the ppl in the front seats. that process went on for far 2 long and got 2 damn complicated.. got annoyed that they werent in teh car already so scrapped the fibreglass podz and went with the easier, stealthier option of pulling out the stockiez and put the Punch'z in as a direct replacement.

these were my mounts: took bout 15 mins to cut and join the 2 bits of wood together... all i did was trace the outline nad the hole placement from the original speakers on mdf and cut with power saw (the proper round speaker rings were bought for like 8-10 bucks off autobarn)left overnight to let the liquid nail wood glue to cure

DSCF1521.jpg

i used these funky fasteners to keep them in place.. think they were called scissor clips or something. not sure.. but they were screwed into the holes that the original speakers used

DSCF1524.jpg

if tehre is any vibration.. i dont notice it. they sound great when you play cdz.. though my stock hu has gone haywire and ive been stuck with AM/FM for the past few monthz coz no $$$ coming in coz im still in uni for the time being.

Edited by JJCRU23R

oh n don't forget to sound deaden the doors if you'll be ampin the fronts... it'll greatly boost your midrange... oh n if you'v replaced ur front speakers yourself then it's fairly easy to diy sound deaden so don't even think about goin to a shop to get it done lol :yahoo:

I've made it a personal rule that if I was to upgrade the sound system of a car then sound deadening is a must. Brings out the best of the front stage midbass!!!

$300 splits + Sound deadening will completely own $600 splits if you just installed it alone. It makes that much of a difference that it was worth $220 + 3 hours + 20 cuts on my forearm. lol

WHAT IS THE BEST BANG 4 BUCK SOUND DEADENER?

im not talking about the most expensive brands...

im not trying to enter autosalon car audio competition or anything like that, so im just after something that WORKS.

oh n don't forget to sound deaden the doors if you'll be ampin the fronts... it'll greatly boost your midrange... oh n if you'v replaced ur front speakers yourself then it's fairly easy to diy sound deaden so don't even think about goin to a shop to get it done lol :yahoo:

not when you know a car audio shop and install for free of charge :yahoo:

also, caps are for really big system, u don't need it if you are running something like 700WRMS, but once you get to a point like 2000WRMS, it is a life saver for your amp especially if you don't want to blow it up

• 3 months later...
WHAT IS THE BEST BANG 4 BUCK SOUND DEADENER?

im not talking about the most expensive brands...

im not trying to enter autosalon car audio competition or anything like that, so im just after something that WORKS.

anyone? please?

yea what that guy said...

are those spray on sound deadeners any good?

or the paint 1s that come in the paint can?

sounds messy but a fair bit cheaper than the dynamat option

if tehre is any vibration.. i dont notice it. they sound great when you play cdz.. though my stock hu has gone haywire and ive been stuck with AM/FM for the past few monthz coz no $$$ coming in coz im still in uni for the time being.

What happened to your headunit JJ? Mines gone crazy and won't let me play cd's, or eject them or anything!!! I haven't searched yet but i'll do it now.

Chris

What happened to your headunit JJ? Mines gone crazy and won't let me play cd's, or eject them or anything!!! I haven't searched yet but i'll do it now.

Chris

well... it seems as though the lazer or something is not in the correct position or something...

i can eject the cd no problem, but regardless of whether its copied or an original cd, the thing just keeps spinning until the display says ERR or something. since it stuffed up, it miraculously started working the same day i installed my punch speakers.. for a day or 2 it was back to normal, then i noticed it skipping (which it NEVER used to do).. then it stopped playing again all together.

my car is an 03 corolla conquest.. so no mp3, no stacker, just cd/am/fm. now its just am/fm.