TRD CAI [Group Buy]

XploShun

Can't do Sat (promised mrs id take her shopping) lol.. itll have to be sun (after 9:00) or tue then..

Which clamp am I getting?

Thought it was just:

2 x Drift Urethane Pod

2 x 6mm Vaccum Cap

2 x 6.5mm Vaccum Cap (just incase 6mm is not good enough because some say its a 6.5mm - unless its the same *****)2 x Silicone intake hose (to stop rubbing of the cai on the car)

I'll buy everything tomorrow hopefully..

Let me know asap.

PS: mIC for member of the month X 4

mono.

Edited by mono

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bloody post office had our intakes on monday or tuesday but failed to let yuri know that they had actually arrived (either that or the dodgy post office owner has a rolla and was hoping for it not to be picked up so he could upgrade his own car...... :-) fitting them 2moro, bought some vacume caps today. cant wait!

lol! thx guys!

but im definitely not gd enough to be the MOTM! lol!

ppl like tayles deserves it! ;)

btw.. ive bought the drift pod like a month ago..

will put them on too..

ALSO!!! lips and yuro.. u guys got it already?!

if so,

TRD CAI 5th GB!... FINI~~~~~~~

heya!!

Finally!! the package arrived today. Actually, i went to my local Post Office, on Tobey's advise, and asked if there were any packages addressed to me. So the lady at the counter checks the back room and lo and behold she walks out carrying this box of 'TRD Sport Parts with my name & address written on the sides of the box. :toast::yahoo: and as i walk out, i have the biggest grinn :D :D and quickly rush to my car and contact Tobey..

So once again, many many thanks to mIC for successfully organising this [Group Buy]

The CAI is in. Lucky for me, my good mate is a toyota service manager, as for the life of me, I couldn't find the EGR. And there it was still attached to the airbox, discarded. And thanks to SB and the others that called me to help out. Appreciated.

So the results. Speaking as a sportivo driver with no other mods, most notably no exhaust.

Brilliant. 2500rpm, the noise comes on, by 3500rpm, you can feel more pull and by 5000rpm, yeooooooooooooww. I went out to my usual driving loop, and had to back off as I was getting into corners way faster than normal. Don't even get me started about lift, it was just manic. I didn't even hit redline, the best sound is at 5000rpm going into lift, SENSATIONAL.

And then when it's all over I turn off the car, and shhhhhhhhhhh, the exhale is quality.

Without an exhaust, I find myself holding different RPM's to hear the change.

Now, where is that Type R Civic that blew me away a few weeks ...

Tips for install.

1. You don't need any of the supplied pipes, and you will have gear left over.

2. The EGR valve is on the back of the airbox, put it on the plate, and attach the two pipes, one from rocker, and one from charcoal cannister, and electrics to it.

3. Take out the whole blue and white thing, all the way back to the rocker cover, and plug it. The and white item is a check valve only.

4. Amen, the drift was the best size if you got foggies - forum saved the day again.

This is the best mod I've done after the rear swaybar. Again, Xploshun, good show.

whitestivo

I fitted mine with whitestivo and for some reason.. im not impressed!

Maybe I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be but it could be because I already had a pod attached with some piping giving it air so the difference wasn't as big!! Plus I have exhaust modification so it was already sounding pretty mean!

overall.. i dont regret it but for some reason, i thought I would have been more impressed lol

any opinions?

I fitted mine with whitestivo and for some reason.. im not impressed!

Maybe I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be but it could be because I already had a pod attached with some piping giving it air so the difference wasn't as big!! Plus I have exhaust modification so it was already sounding pretty mean!

overall.. i dont regret it but for some reason, i thought I would have been more impressed lol

any opinions?

Because you already had an exhaust I reckon that you were already used to it. But now I'm sure there is more power you just have to dyno it to give you the real figures.

Guys

I live on an incline, and when I drove out with the CAI now on, man, sometimes has real trouble getting enough revs to drive off up the hill.

Anyone else experience this and suggestions.

Figure something in the MAF is heating up, and it takes longer with the CAI.

Let me know, short of letting the car run for longer on start up.

whitestivo

Guys

I live on an incline, and when I drove out with the CAI now on, man, sometimes has real trouble getting enough revs to drive off up the hill.

Anyone else experience this and suggestions.

Figure something in the MAF is heating up, and it takes longer with the CAI.

Let me know, short of letting the car run for longer on start up.

whitestivo

yeah when i finish work and the air is cold on a cold day, if i start the car and start driving the instant its on and give it no revs (like when i had the stock box, coz rollers are so idiot proof and easy to drive) sometimes i find it not wanting to go............just give it some more revs and its fine.

I found the same thing.. any way around it??

there's not really... once you remove components that the ECU rely on for the idle-up procedure.... it wont fucntion.

i havent had a good look at the Idle up mechanism on the 2zzge airbox... but on the 4AGE many people manufactured plates that would house the Solenoid and give a result similar to the Stock Air Box. These systems run on a vacuum.

BRAIN FLASH: the nipple on the CAI that you have to block off.. perhaps this IS required after all... i wonder if we can track down some Toyota tech who help design the CAI for TRD USA to help us out... or at least somone who can explain the idle up mechanism on the 2ZZGE

guys is the following true?:

Hey guys. I own a 2003 sportivo with a TRD cold air intake on it and I was just recently having some idling problems. so i booked it into toyota in Melville. They ran a diagnostic check on the car and said everything is fine except for the vac hose. instead of it being blocked off like some of the other guys have shown in there posts i was told it had to run into the vsv unit and then back out onto the cai plug which is located in the middle of the piping. i did it and then ran the car......

NO STUPID IDLING!!! :yahoo::yahoo: so if you have got this problem have a go at going that and see if it works. I dont know if it has been covered but i search and couldnt find anything on the forum. so if it works thank me by sending lots and lots of money my way.

Dans

Because i havnt heard it anywhere else but it sounds logical :S

Hey guys. I own a 2003 sportivo with a TRD cold air intake on it and I was just recently having some idling problems. so i booked it into toyota in Melville. They ran a diagnostic check on the car and said everything is fine except for the vac hose. instead of it being blocked off like some of the other guys have shown in there posts i was told it had to run into the vsv unit and then back out onto the cai plug which is located in the middle of the piping. i did it and then ran the car......

NO STUPID IDLING!!! :yahoo::yahoo: so if you have got this problem have a go at going that and see if it works. I dont know if it has been covered but i search and couldnt find anything on the forum. so if it works thank me by sending lots and lots of money my way.

Dans

Any comments?

would this be a similar issue with a 1ZZ ?

also, can a photo be uploaded of the 'new vac hose fitting please..

many thanks

Dans

Any comments?

yes this is what i was trying to describe.. you need some "feedback" from the CAI for the idle up to work properly.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...