Supercharger for Sportivo??

ISPYPSI

Hey guys, I just have a few questions regarding superchargers for the Corolla Sportivo. I believe the Sportivo has the same engine as the current model Celica and as there are a few supercharger kits available for the Celica I was wondering if these kits can also be used on the Sportivo. Has anyone used the Blitz charger on a Sportivo yet? If so how does it perform? Any questions you guys can answer about this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers ;)

If it's for the same engine, then you should be able to use it.

I have the same dilemme for my car; the 7A-FE is shared by the AE101, and I've used the extractors designed for the AE101. however, the 101/102 has almost identical running gear to the AE112.

the best for your money is a turbo..

but if you wanna buy a supercharger is not a problem. NO TURBO LAG>.cool :D

it seems that a turbo gain more HP....up to 275WHP.....

the only problem is not good to push more boost up to 7psi.

but at 7psi is making good HP like mentioned below.

my suggestion is to lower a bit of the compresion of the piston.

or not boost too much up to 7psi.....(i think that's is enough HP for that little boost)

hey guys, in Australia did anybody have a sportivo with supercharger or turbo??

i wanna see pics.....

here in Panama, my friend wanna make the project of putting a turbo, but is tooooooooo much money to invest! :(

Just wondering why I would need another car for daily use? A supercharged Celica is perfectly driveable and as I said a blower is quite nice on your driveline. Turbo might be a different story as putting that much power through the front wheels will be hard to drive in the wet but I don't see a supercharger as being a real problem. I could be wrong though.

Just wondering why I would need another car for daily use?

The second car in procautionary due to the downtime you would expect HUGE job like this would take. There is a lot of research to go into Supercharging the car correctly (or turboing for that matter) and tuning it so it is driveable.... You have to expect a few things to go wrong and perhaps a few engines also if you are not careful!!!! I think this is what scares most people off this sort of mod to such a high compression engine!!!

Is the comp ratio of the Celica and the Corolla the same? If so then it shouldn't be such a huge job. The Blitz charger kit comes with absolutely everything you need and it's only a matter of bolting it all on and getting the tune just right. I regularly go onto Everything Celica and those guys all swear by the Blitz kit and I don't believe I have seen one person have problems. As long as all aspects of the Corolla engine and Celica engine are the same then I can't see it being a hassle. You can even use the Blitz kit with the Power FC to make future modification and tuning easy.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0211tur_celica/

You would probably need some piping modifications and custom brackets for the cooler.

Also after my recent experience with 1zzfe ECU's from the corolla and celica, you would most likely have to re-pin your sportivo ECU harness to work with the celica ECU unless you got the blitz kit specifically designed for the japanese 6-speed corolla fielder or whatever they call it... at 627,900yen it's still fairly expensive.

ive got the september 2004 edition of fast fours, which has a rite up on a supercharged celica if you can get hold of it.

it says the celica 2ZZGE is 1.8 6 speed 141kw same as sportivo.

same engine and trans as celica.

this thing is supercharged has all the trd gear on it.

this celica has

blitz supercharger (says relitively easy to install)

blitz intercooler and piping kit

blitz sump (large)

MoTeC M4 computer

from the way this thing is written would almost be exact same set for sportivo.

BIG $$$$ though.

i was also thinkin of doing this myself but havnt got the money to burn at the mo.

but from what ive read in alot of mags and on the net celica and sportivo are exactly the same motor and running gear.

good luck let me know how ya go and what the costs are like?if you want more info and are serious about doing this the guys who supergarged it are

ivan tan, andrew jordan and basil chow of speedworks (08) 9244-2277

they will let you know either way buddy good luck

someone should go try it on the sportivo.

The motec is a good idea.

Get rid of the stock computer completely

In the future i plan to do this.

High compression is good cause it lets you blower work faster, even more responsive.

Yes if the modification place has your car, and won't lend you one your prettty stuffed up.

I found out the hardway, had to call my dad up, and you don't want to see the look on your dads face when he see your car in a mod shop.

Anyhoos GO FOR IT MAN,

just be prepared to pay thats all, i want to hear the SC whine from a sportivo, should sound nasty

high compression does not help a supercharger "work faster". Superchargers are belt driven, not exhaust gas driven like turbo's. It helps turbo's spool a little better, but a slightly lower compression would allow you to run more boost safely.

The 2zzg can easily accomodate a turbocharger, most just think the RICE way of thinking... High pressure, high boost.

A small low pressure turbo running approx 5psi can make an enourmous difference to the car. Not only does this give a good dose of torque almost of idle but as it starts to run out of a little breath that is where Lift takes over. Don't get me wrong they still hammer a lot harder above 6000 they just act like there in Lift from 1000rpm

Some of the faster turbo Celica's in the states run setups like this and outperform higher PSI setups at the track. I have seen a couple of turbo Celica's running higher boost and because the compression has had to be dropped considerably they don't drive real well.

Low pressure, Low boost you only need a decent tune and the car will run reliable and very quick without needing to open up the engine!

A small / low boost turbo set up would be ideal to a Stivo/Celica.

A small turbo will spool up more quickly and will give you no lag, which is what you would want in order to give you spades of torque down low in the rev range.

A big/high boost turbo would be great on the drag strip but useless on the road-by the time it's spooled up and producing useful boost - you wouldn't be needing it anymore.

If I was to boost my Stivo I would go the way of an Eaton Supercharger myself.

Why... the Eaton has an inbuilt bypass valve that when the car is not under much throttle/load (ie. coasting on the speed limit) the bulk of the incoming air bypasses the rotors/screws into the engine. Once you apply some throttle the bypass snaps closed and diverts all the air through the supercharger for instant power. It is so fast and seamless you cannot feel it and would swear it was under boost all the time.

The advantage is that the engine on normal driving only really has boost running through it 10-15% of the time making it very engine friendly.

Typically this setup runs approx 5-6PSI of boost right from idle through to redline, no drop off. Through optional gears and belts this can be taken up to about 9-10PSI

Have driven a couple Honda Civic's with this setup both stock internals and both having done more than 100,000km with the superchargers. They were awesome to drive with plenty of torque on tap actually feeling like they just had big V6 donk under the bonnet.

A lot of Type-R's in the states get this setup and run trouble free.

To have it done properly I would estimate about $8,000 to $10,000 including piggyback ECU & tuning. Eaton Superchargers are not cheap but you will find it hard to buy better. That's why there biggest client is Mercedes.