Street Shocks

My Stivo currently has Koni Yellow Shocks on them, with Pedders springs.

They are Bloody hard on the road. They are on full soft setting and the guy at pedders said they are as hard as their race stuff!

While i dont mind the bone jarring ride (as all of my cars for the past 6 years have had very stiff rides) my fiance hates it.

We are thinking of upgrading in the next year or two. We are looking at selling her Corolla and her taking my Stivo, but I would have to change the suspension. I still want it to be sproty, but I am after something a bit more compliant on the road.

I was thinking maybe the TRD shocks?

Does anyone know how these compare to the standard Stivo shocks?

Any other suggestions would be good.

Cheers

I dont know if the TRD shocks will be matched to your Pedders Springs, may just wear em out quickly.

If you wanna spend a bit extra get some Tein Super Wagon Coilovers (3kg front and rear), Can go low without the side effects, but I dont think handling will as good as your current package. The Tein GT Wagons are better (4kg f and r) but cost alot more.

Edited by VVTLiR

I dont know if the TRD shocks will be matched to your Pedders Springs, may just wear em out quickly.

If you wanna spend a bit extra get some Tein Super Wagon Coilovers (3kg front and rear), Can go low without the side effects, but I dont think handling will as good as your current package. The Tein GT Wagons are better (4kg f and r) but cost alot more.

Have you ever driven a car with tein superwagons? there by no means a bad coilover! It is also possible to change the spring rates from 3:3, i had 3:3 on my superwagons and i admit it just didnt feel right, it was spongy and bouncy. However ive since put in 6:4 and they are great, im very happy with them.

Edited by ar44

replace the Konis with KYBs, should sort your problem out and will still give you decent handling with the lowered springs without the shortened lifetime of the Toyota genuine items. NIKICH installed them into his car (on superlows) and hasn't complained about a harsh ride from them yet. Conversely, I know it's a stupid question but I'll ask anyway, you have turned the rebound down on the konis, yes?

Yeah i have the KYB's in my car with the superlows. I've had my parents in the back of my car driving through the harsh roads in sydney and they said that the ride was no different to when it was stock. I think the ride is a little stiffer than standard but its not much. Also the price that you pay for these shocks you can buy 2 sets and still have change left over as apposed to KONI's

Sounds like you have the adjustment turned up too high. I have koni's with kings lows on my stivo and my wife drives it 805of the time and she hasn't complained about it at all. Maybe your turning them up instead of down. if I turn mine right down the ride is on my car bugger all different to stock in terms of stiffness. Also Pedders springs are actually kings springs just painted red!! This i know from someone from inside the kings factory....

They are Bloody hard on the road. They are on full soft setting and the guy at pedders said they are as hard as their race stuff!

While i dont mind the bone jarring ride (as all of my cars for the past 6 years have had very stiff rides) my fiance hates it.

We are thinking of upgrading in the next year or two. We are looking at selling her Corolla and her taking my Stivo, but I would have to change the suspension. I still want it to be sproty, but I am after something a bit more compliant on the road.

Cheers

:P

Edited by wei wei

Cheers

Thankyou.... I put that in as I knew everyone would tell me to turn them down...

Where would I get the KYB shocks? I dont want to spend a huge amount of money in the conversion...

most suspension places and parts suppliers stock, or can order, KYB goodies.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the KYB sports shocks.

I think pedders said they had nortmal shocks but nothing he would consider a sports shock.

Have you ever driven a car with tein superwagons? there by no means a bad coilover! It is also possible to change the spring rates from 3:3, i had 3:3 on my superwagons and i admit it just didnt feel right, it was spongy and bouncy. However ive since put in 6:4 and they are great, im very happy with them.

yer, superwagons really aren't too shabby at all!

Cheers

Thankyou.... I put that in as I knew everyone would tell me to turn them down...

Where would I get the KYB shocks? I dont want to spend a huge amount of money in the conversion...

Gees Wei thought you would know me better than that <_< Have had someone else off this forum who said they were too hard. They were turning the koni's up NOT down. That was what I was implying for your information. I can get KYB replacement shocks for the Sportivo but won't be able to sus out prices etc till Monday.

What size wheels are you running??? 16's, 17's or 18's?? That will also make a difference to how your car rides...