Boring, throttle and manifold? Any workshops?

Hey guys, i wanna get my TB bored out, does anyone know if any workshops in Syd or Aus provide this service and specializes in this? Obviously a custom butterfly plate will be made.

I need more power!!!!!

Cheers :whistling::toast:

Hey guys, i wanna get my TB bored out, does anyone know if any workshops in Syd or Aus provide this service and specializes in this? Obviously a custom butterfly plate will be made.

I need more power!!!!!

Cheers :whistling::toast:

As i am sure others will tell you shortly dude, i don't really think this would be a worthwhile mod for an auto 1zz.

The 1zz is a small capacity motor and unless you are feeding it with some boost, increasing your intake volume isn't going to give you much of a power gain and will probably cost you a fair penny.

I think your next easy step in increasing horsepower would be a supercharger...sure it will cost you 3-4k, but it will at least get you noticeable gains and not jeopardize your motor at all. I would take a good guess in saying the stock ECU wouldn't know how to deal with a larger throttle body too well at all...probably wouldn't go into r&r, but surely wouldn't adjust well.

Also an alternative is getting a forged N/A motor that can rev to 8.5k, but from my perspective it is completely wasted on an auto and quite costly (5-6k min not including an ECU which would be require for the cams).

And the OTHER alternative of course is to go the way of many on here recently and sell your rolla to buy a more performance orientated vehicle ;)

hehe, i know its abit of of a waste on an auto rolla, but i think with my set up now my auto is doing pretty well even though it could do better. My project its to get 100kw atw once i get that im happy to stop. And plus for me any gain is a good gain, i know the tb should cost around 300, installation i can do myself. I need the extra bit of air so i can get a better tune for the car. Also my car is alot faster compared to a stock auto rolla, as some of you guys remember me and black toy had our lil benchmark, i think i did pretty well.

Currently my car it doing 8.5 seconds 0 to 100 on the gtech which im happy about. 1/4 not sure but once i get that done i will be going to wsid for sure, and i will be hunting for the 15s.

Cheers

any help would be good

7mge butterfly is an easy source for a larger plate, any decent engine shop should be able to bore the TB to suit it and extend the slots in the rod. The 1ZZ TB has quite a bit of meat in it to be taken out.

Never judge your power gains on what a G tech tells you. They are so innacurate it's not funny. Had some Brissy boys put one on a sportivo and do 0-100 trials and they were getting 6.0 to 6.2 to 100km/hr on a sportivo with only a CAI. :unsure:

If you want 100kw atw on an auto Rolla then firstly look for decent parts not some mass produced stuff that everyone buys off the shelf. Get a set of headers custom designed to a matched exhaust system for one. more gains to had there than mucking around with a bigger throttle body. the only way boring your TB is going to be effective is if you change your cam profiles and run an aftermarket ECU to make all the necessary changes to timing, fuel/air ratios etc etc.

Bolt on accessories are not the way to make huge power increases.. Matching all your engine internals combined with the RIGHT bolt ons is what will achieve your target.

Most of what you guys are telling me to do I've done it, the tb is to top it off with a final tune. Then i will take it down to the 1/4 for a final run, and thats the project done.

Currently, im pushing 94.5 kw atw.

Im just trying to do every bolt on mod possible before i start to think about opening the engine bay.

Where can i get my tb bored and a custon butterfly made? Rollamods, do you have any idea?? I will be heading to bris for a road trip next week.

I know the stock tb is around 55 mils, i was thinking about boring it to 60 mils.

Cheers guys :whistling:

Im selling a piggy back ECU. Boring is not the greatest idea. The guy that got me onto loving rolla did that. It just caused more weakness than anything. That could be because of age but he started with a fresh slate :S... new parts and such.

If you want to make a 100kw auto, go for it. i can see what your getting at. You want a nice car, good run around but has punch when you want it. But cams and a piggy back are your first step. Haltech interceptor would be my first choice. Easy to tune and buy it directly from Haltech and you get tuning very cheaply.

I have a 1ZZFE throttle body here that has been bored out to 60mm. It made a decent improvement on a car with a stock ECU aswell.

If you contact 4AG-ESX (Matt) from twincam.org he works at an engine reconditioner and has the equipment needed to bore the TB. http://www.twincam.info/index.php?showuser=1273

Edited by rollamods

Im selling a piggy back ECU. Boring is not the greatest idea. The guy that got me onto loving rolla did that. It just caused more weakness than anything. That could be because of age but he started with a fresh slate :S... new parts and such.

If you want to make a 100kw auto, go for it. i can see what your getting at. You want a nice car, good run around but has punch when you want it. But cams and a piggy back are your first step. Haltech interceptor would be my first choice. Easy to tune and buy it directly from Haltech and you get tuning very cheaply.

He's already got an piggyback, and as for CAMs, it'll be way too much mucking around and $$$ involved in dealing with local people that 'actually' know what they're doing, not to say its a bad mod, but its still yet to be proven to be good bang for buck.

I don't see how boring the tb out can cause any weakness, especially if you have seen the structure of the tb itself the restrictive sections are pretty much in the middle sections where the overall internal diameter has been reduced with raised sections. Boring would effetively bring the mid section to the same dia. as the open on the manifold end, and also, the tapering towards the intake pipe end are almost left untouched as it is already well above 60mm.

For the one sitting with rollamods, it has been cleaned out to a decent 60mm which port matches the inlet on the intake manifold, and as for the opening it has been smoothed out on the taper to a decent 67mm.

Greyrolla, you know too well who that throttle body belongs to. Having said that, if you find someone that is willing to do the job, i am willing to lend you or sell my my spare so your car can have minimal down time.

here are some photos to support the arguement... cheers.

post-355-1183511798_thumb.jpg

post-355-1183511822_thumb.jpg

Edited by pippy

You might wanna tell these guys what you have done to your corolla. Everyone here seems to think you got a stock rolla.

"ITS ALL STOCK OFFICER!!" :whistling:

but yeah... grey rolla, give us a quick run down on the mods so people can get an idea, as small things such as tb can have big result when combined with intake size, etc etc.

cheers.

Edited by pippy

Most of what you guys are telling me to do I've done it, the tb is to top it off with a final tune. Then i will take it down to the 1/4 for a final run, and thats the project done.

Currently, im pushing 94.5 kw atw.

Im just trying to do every bolt on mod possible before i start to think about opening the engine bay.

Where can i get my tb bored and a custon butterfly made? Rollamods, do you have any idea?? I will be heading to bris for a road trip next week.

I know the stock tb is around 55 mils, i was thinking about boring it to 60 mils.

Cheers guys :whistling:

remember that dyno was done at the hubs... not at the wheel. try dyno'ing at the wheel and see wat u get...

if u do get the bored out throttle body remember u have to get the piggybacks tuned again to bring out the full potential of that mod.

grey rolla has done all the basic mods... Full exhaust with 4.2.1 extractors. piggyback computer and cold air induction along with some in-car accessories, cold cathod tubes, G-string air freshiner....

Edited by DuGong

Well Dugong pratically outlines when ive got on my car, headers, cai, and piggy back. I rekon the tb will give me good gains after a tune because i can ram more air into the engine without FI, at the same time it is a relatively cheap to do, with pretty good gains, thats why i want to do it, it will be the icing on the cake.

I know my Rolla wont be a 14 second car unless i go FI, but the day i got it i knew i wanted to do things to it to make it go a lil better, and im quiet happy with what its doing now. And i just love the look at peoples faces when they surprised. Since the beginning after the first 1/4 mile run i wanted to make this thing go beyond the 16s, a lot of you guys say is its possible, and im just hoping to prove you guys wrong, at the end of the day if i can make it to the low 16s i will be happy.

So any other guys know where i can get the tb bored let me know.

And i appreciate the support from you guys, and also Pippy ur spare TB might come in handy.

Cheers all

"Nothing better then keeping up with an exhausted manual honda accord euro till 120km"

Dugong,

the bored tb on a force fed 1zz esp with the TRD blower, you'll notice that at 60mm it'll port match the blower inlet, and the results from that single mod alone is worth doing.

read up with the US guys and be amazed. :)

cheers.