Sound Deading Doors

AndrewLy

Just an update, i've finished off all the Sound Deadning. took forever!

Back doors are a little more complicated than the front doors. i wanted to keep the original door pods but they were fixed speakers at the back (the speakers could not be screwed out).

Took advise from Suprathai and just cut the speakers out with a stanley knife and used the good old chisel and mallet to knock out the speaker that was fixed onto the pod.

After about 12 hours of work (incl. a lot of procrastinating and ps frtin around) i have deadened the outer skin.

Might get the deadning foam for the inner skin behind the speakers at a later stage when i get my stuff installed.

Advice: *when using Dynamat, stick it ontop of your engine bay if its hot because it is 10x more user friendly, you can alternatively chuck it in the oven/grill.

* Use MDF wood to cover up the service holes, it prevents from ripping the dynamat when trying to press onto the door.

Pictures will be posted at a later date

Forgot one advice to give you........I think your not going to be happy.

I bought a hard rubber rollar at bunnings for $10 in its arts and crafts section. It helps with giving it enough pressure to stick properly on the surface and stops you from cutting yourself....

I bought a hard rubber rollar at bunnings for $10 in its arts and crafts section. It helps with giving it enough pressure to stick properly on the surface and stops you from cutting yourself....

yea was going to get the roller for the back doors but ended up doing it spur of the moment last night. wasn't too hard anyway, i just used the handle end of a screw driver to mould it all in and when its all heated its pretty easy and it kind works better i guess because it covers all the cracks etc.

either way the Job wasn't that fun anyway. i recken the best part was trying to blow my rear speakers (didn't work) and stabbing it and chiseling them out.

And i got no cuts! well at least not from dynamat. i cut myself a couple of times pulling stuff door trims off and wiring.

i wanna do the service holes also, but pointless at the moment if i want to upgrade the speakers later on, and run new speaker cable to the rear of the car where my amplifiers will be, so ill do it later on if need be.

Get pics AndrewLY PLZ

• 4 weeks later...

My last sound deadening mission was in an XF Falcon.

Removed all the interior and brushed black jack through out the whole car.

I was very happy with the results and it cost about $50.

I had 235 50 16's all round and they made a hell of a racket before hand, after the job they were barely noticeable and the sound quality from the stereo was better as i was losing less energy to the body work.

Hi Guys! First post, new member<<

Anyways..

Nice job on the doors! And i know how hard it is to apply the stuff!!

If you got anymore of it, don't be shy to deaden the boot and especially the hatch aswell..

I found it much better on road noise and sound quality once the boot was done, even with the stocko speakers in it!!

JL Audio ZR650's will be arriving soon to go in the fronts, i'll post some piccies up when they arrive!

Here are some photos of the Dynamat in my ae112r..

post-5191-1187860572_thumb.jpg

post-5191-1187860595_thumb.jpg

post-5191-1187860613_thumb.jpg

Ummm you didn't do the outer door skin? Now you'll never be able to do it since you've covered all the service holes. People usually do the outer door skin first before you do the inner skin or even not do the inner skin.

I've applied a layer of Dynamat on the outer door skin for as far as i can reach, prolly about a 30cm radius around the door speaker on each front door. I can't apply anymore now coz of dbdrag and CAASQ rules - can only have 2 layers of sound deadening on each location - i.e inner skin and outer skin or two layers on the inner skin or outer door skin. It's kinda hard to see in the pics.. lol :P

• 2 weeks later...

just throwing this out there, but wouldn't it be easier to put the sound deading material on the inside of the door panel.

eg take off the door trim and use the side that facing away from the cabin and put the sound deading material on that?

hey, hope I confussed everyone !?!?!?!?!? :blink:

I have three layers.......lol

outer panel, inner panel.......and behind the door trim.....

The best thing to do, even if you do not want to SD your doors is to in actual fact seal up the service hole.......it gives your speakers an 'enclosure' to work with to produce excellant mid bass.

• 8 months later...

Ok guys i know this topic is 10 gazzilion years old and i am sorry to bring this back up

Just discovered the wonderful world of photobucket :P

Drew up all the services holes using newspaper and texta.

used 3m MDF wood primmed and sprayed to give it a waterproofing effect.

2.jpg

Stripped the doors to bare metal and used a little bit of metho to get rid of all the left over sticky stuff

3.jpg

Made a wall with duct tape behind the outer skin of the door. was able to stick the MDF wood ontop.

4.jpg

Covered it with more duct tape to make it more waterproof.

5.jpg

Stuck a square of Dynamat ontop of the existing plastic door pod.

6.jpg

This was a little issue i had with the back door speakers. I wanted to keep the existing door pods but there was no way of screwing them off.

Hammer and chisel job sounded the trick. (Thanks Suprathai for suggesting that if you remembered our convo)

7.jpg

Aftermath of the chisel vs. rear speaker

Image042.jpg

Just a photo of what i thought was the finished product but remembered i didn't finish off the bottom part of the door.

8.jpg

Thanks for viewing. Finally have some closure with this topic

Edited by AndrewLy

That looks familiar!! :D its like how i've done it all my doors :)

I've also done it in the boot under the spare up under the rear seats and also the rear hatch.

I must say tho... its heavy but HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?! :D

i would definitely recommend the speaker kits too!! they are awesome!!

That looks familiar!! :D its like how i've done it all my doors :)

I've also done it in the boot under the spare up under the rear seats and also the rear hatch.

I must say tho... its heavy but HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?! :D

i would definitely recommend the speaker kits too!! they are awesome!!

you gotta love the difference, i must admit i didn't do the inner skin of my doors. at that point of time i was way to confused as to which was inner and outer skin was. no skin off my nose tho, absolutely love it.

just in regards SD the boot, does it make a lot more difference? i already done my diy boot so didnt really give much thought to doing it.

and yes the weight is not an issue for me at all. its like having an extra little kid in your car and you can barely feel the difference

If your running a sub at the back then its best that you do the boot as well. The best way for the sub to face is towards the hatch (i.e. away from the driver). So doing the boot should be good.

I'm going to do my boot this weekend hopefully as everytime I close the boot it sounds like a tin can, its getting annoying.

If your running a sub at the back then its best that you do the boot as well. The best way for the sub to face is towards the hatch (i.e. away from the driver). So doing the boot should be good.

I'm going to do my boot this weekend hopefully as everytime I close the boot it sounds like a tin can, its getting annoying.

haha looks like i am going to have to buy another bulk pack at some stage. shattering that i am back at uni now so money is a bit of an issue.

all in good time tho.

I have my sub inverted in a sealed box facing horizontal-wise in my boot. still not quite sure if i should do it or not

would really like to hear someone's car who has actually done it but then again i'd need someone who has the same sub and amp combo + box size/enclosure etc etc so it would probably be a fat chance