Petrol - 95 (premium unleaded) VS 98 (high octane premium unleaded)

Strangest thing

(Comparing Mobil 6000 95 octane to Mobil 8000 98 octane)

I have always used 98 octane in my sportivo but last time i filled up with 6000 because they were out of 8000 and have noticed something strange

There is no doubt there is more power / better throttle response using 98 octane how ever, using 95, all the rattles the engine used to make have seemingly disappeared.... the engine sounds better and seems to have a more stabilised / even power delivery.....

Am i going nuts or could this be true??

98 octane is famous for making rattles and stuff in the engine from my experience. the only 98 octane i use is BP Ultimate when I feel like a bit of power :spiteful: otherwise i stick to 95 octane :)

iv stuck to shell V power and i dont have any rattles! hardly use 95. although when i first bought my stivo it had a full tank of 95 in it and well it seemed ok

After filling up on BP Bathurst fuel (the day of our awesome overnight parts from Japan meet) my car ran like a heap'o'sh!t... *** knows what it was... The label said 98RON whatever the BP brand is (Ultimate? Meh, Vortex 98 FTW).

I've used Vortex Gold (95 RON) and it felt the same but I get better mileage with the 98.

The numbers are playing with your heads guys. fuel is fuel :P as long as it doesn't mess up ur engine, am i right? ;D

hey

Ive noticed about petrol its all depends on air tepriture and how the computer tunes itself as you turn the car on, ive filed up 91 octain in my sportivo and it went better than v-power racing(100oct) at times

one thing i know in my car it likes it when it is very dry, no humidity and cold....

I'm probably wrong but each time you turn the car on it funs diferent but ill tell you they go good on dry cold nights (if you also want a extra kik weet the air filter if you have it on a cold air intake within the bumper it helps)

:idea: IF YOU WANT A EXTRA KIK THAT YOU RILY FILL IN YOUR PERFORMANCE...RUN DOWN TO THE HOBY SHOP AND GET A BOTLE OF NITRO 40% AND AD 1/2 LITTER TO 1/2 TANK OF V-POWER RACING AND YOU FELL THE DIFERENCE :toast: ((( :whistling: i don't know how good it is for the engine but i gave it a try and it puled a lot more than that octain boost )))

Edited by screamnvvtl-i

Interesting.......I'm getting better mileage by using 95 instead of 98

i'd check out and see if u have lead foot syndrome :P :D :P :D ..... u knw u've put 98 in it so ur on it more often ... haahahah

:idea: IF YOU WANT A EXTRA KIK THAT YOU RILY FILL IN YOUR PERFORMANCE...RUN DOWN TO THE HOBY SHOP AND GET A BOTLE OF NITRO 40% AND AD 1/2 LITTER TO 1/2 TANK OF V-POWER RACING AND YOU FELL THE DIFERENCE :toast: ((( :whistling: i don't know how good it is for the engine but i gave it a try and it puled a lot more than that octain boost )))

for those who don't know, hobby grade nitro fuel contains oils, both sythetic and castor. castor oil does not burn and can gum up nitro engines so I'd hate to see what it does to the injectors in corolla. that and castor has a very distinct smell.

• 2 weeks later...

for those who don't know, hobby grade nitro fuel contains oils, both sythetic and castor. castor oil does not burn and can gum up nitro engines so I'd hate to see what it does to the injectors in corolla. that and castor has a very distinct smell.

i didn't want to think about it to but i was in one of my creative moods i do some out the things........

Interesting.......I'm getting better mileage by using 95 instead of 98

i'd check out and see if u have lead foot syndrome :P :D :P :D ..... u knw u've put 98 in it so ur on it more often ... haahahah

Hahaha, kinda annoyed with the stivo though. Once your in lift cops are just waiting to ping you for speeding, or reckless driving. But right now I'm getting awesome mileage, well its 350km/half tank.I rarely use lift on the normal roads, only really open it up once I'm on the Freeway/Motorway.

Going to try 98 for the next month and see how everything goes.

I still have yet to go and experience wakefield!! Slowly prepping the car up and hopefuly will be going around Feb next year, thats my goal anyway.

hey

Ive noticed about petrol its all depends on air tepriture and how the computer tunes itself as you turn the car on, ive filed up 91 octain in my sportivo and it went better than v-power racing(100oct) at times

one thing i know in my car it likes it when it is very dry, no humidity and cold....

I'm probably wrong but each time you turn the car on it funs diferent but ill tell you they go good on dry cold nights (if you also want a extra kik weet the air filter if you have it on a cold air intake within the bumper it helps)

91 octane into the sportivo?? are you sure it even drove well? i've heard a few stories where people have put 91 in their stivos and its ran like a bag of ****...

lol, maybe you've got a freak engine

The reason you have more power with 98 but you notice more noise is because your engine is constantly on the verge of or is pre-detonating or more commonly known as pinging.

The extra noise you hear is the shockwave created by the spark ignited flame crashing into the pre detonation flame. Which can have disastrous effects , Which is why most EFI systems have a Knock controller or sensor that informs the ecu whether it should add more or less fuel or advance or retard timing to counter the effect.

The 95 RON isn't pre detonating because it has lower explosive qualities and doesn't react as much to the pressure at point of compression, so it will run smoother and quieter.

I've found geographical situation is the biggest factor in choosing fuel. When i'm home in Brisbane i run 95, down south 98 or 100 whatever i can find, and when up north it's 91. The fact that fuel stations ask an arm, leg and first born up there might have a small part to play in my decision but i notice no ill effects. Relative humidity and temperature where you drive regularly are huge factors in what fuel you should decide to use.

• 5 months later...

so a thread back from the dead, i'll revive it!

in the camry threads i was playing around with different brands of 98ron fuel during my daily drives and for a 2week period.

now i have found that vpower suits the car most (from the 2week period trails) in terms of performance, driving charactertics and mileage

now ive been on vpower for the 4th week coming this wednesday, and the results? well, i know for a FACT something in thou car as improved the mileage by ALOT. i dont know what the hell it is, be it the ecu, engine or a nuclear reactor.

i went up to lakes entrance on the weekend for a lil fishing trip. my car was packed as a zoo, and i seriously think we max-ed the tyre load specs (around 670kg, max was 690kg on 95V). the trip was rocky as hell due to the load and the roads. country roads are just too loud btw it ****s me, even a 7series or s-class wouldnt be able to kill the road noise to a reasonable level. tyre pressure was @ 32psi fronts and 31psi rears.

i was still able to punish the engine without the car scream it's a$$ off, while mileage from roughly 65L got me 986kms, considering road limits were 110km/h, full load, twist and turns, and big hills (i mean HUGE). when i got home, my fuel gauge was on the line that is just below 1/4 full (you know that line?!), meaning, i still had roughly 8-9L remaining and 10L reserve (the empty red light indicator). during freeways i always use cruise control and windows are always up.

now i know 6.5L/100km just sounds like im making some crap up, but its true!

well to me, and my lil findings, 95-98ron is obviously definitely worth it. i dont give a $hit if 91ron is 6-10cents cheaper, in the long run and on this car (2002 SXV20R camry - non vvti) its gold. 91ron is just so displeasing to drive with, and the mileage is no where near to what a higher ron fuel and ever achieve.

wixy

edit: look i have no idea whether putting teflon coating in your engine does 1 any good, but i have. used nulon e30. im a skeptic but i thought id let guys know.

Edited by Wixy