Coolant Reservoir

Zeus

Recently I bought a new coolant reservoir, otherwise known as the coolant overflow bottle, for my 98 Camry. From CMI Toyota it cost $51, but the installation could cost up to $118! Does that sound like a reasonable price? Apparently it depends on how much coolant they have to replace, most of the cost is for labor ($81). Sometimes I think they make up the prices as they go!

<_<

if ur coolant over flow bottle is for the 1mzfe v6 all u need is a socket wrence set and a pait of pliers... unbolt connect tubing and presto... i have removed mine for cleaning a few times,,, ive also noticed that they are very brittle and develop cracks ... bad design...

other model camrys should be similar... i think have a crack at it first if u cant do it at least u tried... theres not much that can go wrong...

good luck

Gotta go with the flow here. They are about as simple to replace as it could get. Sounds to me like they are charging for a complete coolant change as well as replacing the bottle.and the necessity for that would be, how long since the last coolant change??

I think these damn things must need replacing every so often. I'm going to try and get mine installed before summer. You should be able to get the part from Toyota for about $50.

Yeah as everyone said they are changing it all, but even so seems pricey. The overflow bottle does wear prity badly in these cars, I repalced mine a year ago with a used one, cost $20. As for changing coolant, do it yourself it really isnt hard... undo drain plug at bottom of radiator, drain it all, close plug, add coolant till full, keep cap off water inlet (not radiator in the 1MZ), turn car on and let it heap it, level goes down so add more coolant, air bubbles bled from system -> DONE. You could also find the drain plug on the block because there will be some residual coolant their but I dont bother, it isnt heaps. This option will cost you say $50 for overflow and $40 for coolant itself.

Edited by aussie_camry

Unfortunately I'm in Adelaide, otherwise I'd take your offer. I already have the bottle, I just need them to put it in. I'm going to get it done next month. My car really needs a coolant change anyway.

Edited by Zeus

• 2 months later...
No worries...

Just get it done with your next service :) :) :) ...

ratio of distilled water to coolant? how many liters of coolant ? my car is gen4 2000 camry csi. I want to DIY coolant change..

Edited by lexce

You're best off using Toyota Long Life Coolant... It's the best stuff for your Toyota :) :) :) ...

how much for tht toyota coolant? i just bought my car and no records included. how will i know that i have to replace my coolant.. I checked the radiator and the fluid is the same color with the coolant reservoir. is that okay? but its in the low level.. is it ok to top up...? sorry for lot of Q's..

Coolant needs replacing every 2 years regardless of kms travelled...

3L will prolly cost you around $40 or something... You can't really know the condition of your coolant by the colour, it might still be red in colour, but it could be in need of replacement...

While on this subject I noticed a label on the inside of the hood on my recently purchased 2005 Corolla. "This vehicle has been filled with Toyota Long Life coolant and does not require replacement until 100000 Km, thence as per replacement specification of any other coolant used.

When I replaced the coolant in my V6 Camry I used Nulon Long Life and is just about due for renewal(after 4 years). I have had no problems with it, but as it is green, not red you need to be meticulous in draining and flushing any previous coolant, especially if it is red. Red and Green MUST NOT be mixed!!!

NOTE: Any coolant used should meet the specifications as set out in the Factory Service Manual...As with any fluids or oils used.