Snapped Wing Mirror (RHS) - Corolla 2001

A member of our family managed to snap the RHS side mirror completely. Surprisingly, the mirror itself is unscathed. But the mountings are completely snapped - and so are the 3 power wires.

I just received a quotation from Toyota service centre claiming the whole assembly need to be replaced for $490 + $120 labour. I think this is absolutely ludicrous considering the mirror assembly is fine and its only the mount that need replacing and maybe do a bit of soldering of the snapped wires.

Is it possible to obtain the side mirror mount separately from Toyota spare parts? I seriously hate this *bundled* replacement when maybe a $50 part is what needs replacement.

pic01.jpg

pic02.jpg

pic03.jpg

Your thoughts?

ozeparts.com.au have a couple you can look at...

(non genuine toyota part)

Door Mirror

Electric Control & 5 Pins Heater Convex Glass Lens

With Mirror Cover & Black Colour

Meet ECE Standard

(right hand side)

serial number: TAA5000NAR-2482

$145.20

Door Mirror

Electric Control

Australia NEW Genuine

(right hand side)

serial number: TAA5000NER-2482

$285.45

hope this helps!

let me know how well/bad ozeparts are to order parts so i know whether i can trust em :P

in what way do you mean complete? if there is something missing on the aftermarket parts like the colour coded cover, im thinking that part can be taken off the mirror that broke off his car and placed on the new 1.

The genuine part only comes as a complete unit...

that is correct!

for a crash part call ALTO PARTS in north ryde.

or just by the unit and install it yourself!

its pi$$ easy!

oh i get it now...

kinda like my broken volume knob on my cordless keyboard... i cant just buy a new volume knob, id have to buy a new keyboard..

im retarded reading sometimes!

Toyota is yanking your chain man. I had a situation where some little f*&^s came past in the night and smashed my colour coded cover. Split it clean in half. Got the Toyota Genuine part to replace it, for about $60. The price they are quoting you sounds about right, but I watched him bring the assembly up on the comp, and each piece is individuay coded, so you should be able to order only the ones you need.

And thank *** I got a service rep that knew the car.... The one I originally talked to didn't even know a Corolla 'Sportivo" existed!

I agree TsvRolla. Looks like with the skill shortage Australia is facing at the moment, there will be more and more idiots out there servicing others.

BTW, are those parts mentioned in Ozeparts.com.au - are they *used* items, i.e. $145 #TAA5000NAR-2482? I would assume so but the photos on their site suggest otherwise.

if it were used parts i wouldthink that would be a selling point in itself? my guess is that they are all new unless stated otherwise. why not give em an email or a call to find out.

if youre not happy with them or the wreckers or cant get anything cheaper, why not get aftermarket sports mirrors from ebay?

maybe the carbon fibre ones or the ones with indicator lights in em?

Edited by JJCRU23R

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got the parts of OzeParts.com.au. Indeed the parts are new and seemed to be of good value - until I realised the OEM side mirror assembly are not compatible with the Toyota Genuine Parts. For one, the OEM model is far simpler and since our Corolla is white - what was shipped is a black front cover which I guess is to be painted in some way or another.

Pics are attached. I could see only 3 wires for the genuine mirror being snapped. whereas the OEM part has 6 smaller wires. I don't think I can interchange the innards of the OEM into the genuine mirror which is a bummer :-/

What to do.... what to do........

P.S. The parts were shipped damn quick though. Ordered on the weekend and arrived in Gold Coast, QLD by Tuesday via registered post!

post-2045-1189077055_thumb.jpg

post-2045-1189077094_thumb.jpg

post-2045-1189077105_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heatwave

get an autoelectrician to figure it out, then paint the new 1 white, or the old 1 black.

thats what id do anyhoo...

the wires may not be the same but it shouldnt be a problem for a professional to figure it out.

update us on how it goes yea? good luck!

EDIT- DOES THE ORIGINAL MIRROR FIT IN THE OEM AT LEAST?

Edited by JJCRU23R

get an autoelectrician to figure it out, then paint the new 1 white, or the old 1 black.

thats what id do anyhoo...

the wires may not be the same but it shouldnt be a problem for a professional to figure it out.

update us on how it goes yea? good luck!

EDIT- DOES THE ORIGINAL MIRROR FIT IN THE OEM AT LEAST?

I don't mind painting it myself - can anyone recommend a type of paint to be used? Do I need a primer or just a few thin coats of white spray paint will do?

if you know the colour code of the paint, thatll be a plus...

usually all you need to paint is:

ive used water based acrylic whenever i paint.

*lightly and evenly sand the surface

*spray 2-3 light coats of primer (give time between each coat... instructions should be on the spray can.)

if your sanding and prime coat dont look good, the finished product wont look good.

if its not all even, then sand it back again...

*spray 2-3 light coats of the colour.. (give each coat time to dry... just like the primer)

* few coats of clear top coat for the gloss.. then polish to increase the shine.

good luck man!

did you get the mirror instaLLED?

Edited by JJCRU23R

• 2 months later...
Well I finally got the parts of OzeParts.com.au. Indeed the parts are new and seemed to be of good value - until I realised the OEM side mirror assembly are not compatible with the Toyota Genuine Parts. For one, the OEM model is far simpler and since our Corolla is white - what was shipped is a black front cover which I guess is to be painted in some way or another.

Pics are attached. I could see only 3 wires for the genuine mirror being snapped. whereas the OEM part has 6 smaller wires. I don't think I can interchange the innards of the OEM into the genuine mirror which is a bummer :-/

!

The black wires look like they are for heating the glass. This probably will not work as the rest of the wiring is not there, but as the connector looks the same I'd say you should be able to plug it in and everything should work.