how big is the sportivo exhaust and what is the best size for a modded one

Hey i did a search and found a little information on exhaust systems for the 2zzge.

I'm curious firstly on the size of the exhaust from the cat back of the 2zzge. As i will probably give my old one to my friend with a 1zzfe to put on his if it ain't too big for his engine.

I also read that 2.5 inch is what CES does. Is this usually the best size to put on the sportivo 2zzge for optimal results?

Also the sound of the exhaust. I don't want a really loud exhaust that makes my highway driving a nightmare for my ears. Should i have a resonator or specific muffler installed???

Is it really worth putting different extractors on the 2zzge or are the stock ones fine?

Lastly the differences between your cheap exhausts versus expensive ones like CES. I understand cat back your looking at $1000, i think i could get one for half the price or even less but really what would make the CES so much better than another exhaust places exhaust system. Is it the better catalytic converter or is their piping lighter or make the air flow out easier etc. Thought it would be all much of a muchness.

Any ideas information or experiences welcome. Even some good exhaust places in Sydney i could call to get a quote and information etc.

Thanks guys

Edited by stuart bauer

1. 1ZZ is 2"

2. 2ZZ is 2.25"

3. CES is 2.5"

2ZZ standard exhaust will be very good for a 1ZZ.

With a 2ZZ, you wouldnt want to go any bigger than 2.5" unless you have done some serious modifications ie Turbo, S/C, or Stroking.

CES is expensive (not really) because it fits first time, and the time and effort they have put into the muffler is the beauty of the system.

You could strap any 2.5 inch pipe on the sportivo and it will gain a tiny bit of power. Any muffler, the car will kill your ears and get you defected. The CES, while it is loud i dont find it annoying at all.

The cat stays the same, hence why the CES is a cat-back. no point changing the cat, its fine already.

Basically, you wont find a muffler to suit your needs on a sportivo. Unless your willing to spend over 1k to pay for the R + D, and even then its better to go with the CES.

Also... standard exhaust is fine... do the CAI first.

Yeah well i got a CAI but i have yet to install it yet.

I might not even bother with the exhaust i didn't realise it was already a 2/1/4 inch system. Alot of money for what might be little gains plus noise i dont want.

i think there's your answer stu... ;)

minimal gains, decent costs, more noise.

The CAI will give u more noise, but its an incredible noise so thats good :P

1. 1ZZ is 2"

2. 2ZZ is 2.25"

3. CES is 2.5"

2ZZ standard exhaust will be very good for a 1ZZ.

With a 2ZZ, you wouldnt want to go any bigger than 2.5" unless you have done some serious modifications ie Turbo, S/C, or Stroking.

CES is expensive (not really) because it fits first time, and the time and effort they have put into the muffler is the beauty of the system.

You could strap any 2.5 inch pipe on the sportivo and it will gain a tiny bit of power. Any muffler, the car will kill your ears and get you defected. The CES, while it is loud i dont find it annoying at all.

The cat stays the same, hence why the CES is a cat-back. no point changing the cat, its fine already.

Basically, you wont find a muffler to suit your needs on a sportivo. Unless your willing to spend over 1k to pay for the R + D, and even then its better to go with the CES.

Also... standard exhaust is fine... do the CAI first.

Stock 1zz has a 1.75" exhaust

what i might have to do is go on one of the Sydney cruises and check out some of the exhausts already installed on other forum members rollas to see how noisy they are. Then decide on cost because i'm not looking to spend anything near $1000, i was looking at under $500 and i know i can find that price, but will it be worth it ?????

Well to give you an idea I have a custom 2.5inch system with a berklee high flow resonator and a Xforce twinloop muffler. There is definatley gains to be felt in the high end and midrange. I previously had a magnaflow muffler on the system, but I found it got annoying when I was tired, so I swapped over to a Xforce which is alot less noisy.

I notice the CES system follows the same design as the stock system, where it curves up where the torsion beam is. My system has eliminated this curve, so less retriction, but I will have to dyno to confirm.

Try giving liverpool exhaust a ring. I'm pretty sure they do systems for the sportivo, although probably nowhere near as good as the CES exhaust..

I think there's a few people on here with extractors and an exhaust from there?

yes they do have extractors for our cars. they have them on their sportivos

Liverpool exhausts make extractors for our cars? If so, do you have any details.

Well im aware one of the workers there has a sportivo, so they have a catback system to but for $350-400 last time I asked and they also make a CAI

yep! proud owner of 1 of their CAIs. lovin it! haha

Try giving liverpool exhaust a ring. I'm pretty sure they do systems for the sportivo, although probably nowhere near as good as the CES exhaust..

I think there's a few people on here with extractors and an exhaust from there?

yes they do have extractors for our cars. they have them on their sportivos

I will check this out tommorrow and ask for details...

well to straighten things out here's the facts as i practically go to liverpool exhaust every week. they make CAI's for the 2zz. price is around $350. they have full exhaust with extractors and all. this also includes metal cat. the price for that is roughly $1100 i think. and the guy that owns the shop has 2 03 model sportivos. they have also re designed there extractors for the 2zz. now they use 2 flexi tubes instead of 1 which makes sure no matter how hard you drive your sportivo, you wont brake the flexi pipes as they had dramas with just 1 flexi pipe before.

I have just called up Liverpool exhausts and was quoted $550 for the extractors plus $150 for installation. This is a very decent price for custom made extractors, however my only concern is do they perform. As many so called extractors for our cars actually go backwards in performance.

well to straighten things out here's the facts as i practically go to liverpool exhaust every week. they make CAI's for the 2zz. price is around $350. they have full exhaust with extractors and all. this also includes metal cat. the price for that is roughly $1100 i think. and the guy that owns the shop has 2 03 model sportivos. they have also re designed there extractors for the 2zz. now they use 2 flexi tubes instead of 1 which makes sure no matter how hard you drive your sportivo, you wont brake the flexi pipes as they had dramas with just 1 flexi pipe before.

Sinan can you comment on the performance gains with the extractors. You souns like you know them well

If they have had to put 2 flex joints in to stop the system from breaking then is it designed correctly?? Even the stock system doesn't have any flex joints just the spring loaded flange at the bottom of the collector. If they have had to put 2 in then there must be some sort of design flaw or stress somewhere to cause this. If it does this then is it trying to pull the rest of the system off the mounts as well?? As with the CES system the stock mounts are pretty soft and you need to either change them to the ones like rollamods posted a pic of in another thread or beef the stock ones up like i have done for a few of the Qld boys.

The system is obviously mild steel for the price you have told us about?? Still not sure why so many exhaust shops change the cat on a 2zz when it is pretty damm big and flows really well from factory. The gains are very negligable and for the extra cost it's not worth it.

Some food for thought for those looking into this system.:)

I'd say the two flex joints would be for their headers. If they're 4-2-1 tuned length then they need the flex's.

Toyota run dual flex's on their factory 4-2-1 systems on FWD corolla's.

If you retain the stock cat then the price should theoretically be ~$300 cheaper.

~$1100 is about average for a complete engine to tip exhaust system including headers, cat, resonator, rear muffler, flex and flanges.

Edited by rollamods