Grinding Noise when i brake (sportivo)

When I brake travelling low speed and low gear 1 or 2 about 10-20km/h, i hear a grinding noise when i brake. Sometimes i dont hear it, but evey now and then it does. Could i need new pads? or is it something else?

thanks

When I brake travelling low speed and low gear 1 or 2 about 10-20km/h, i hear a grinding noise when i brake. Sometimes i dont hear it, but evey now and then it does. Could i need new pads? or is it something else?

thanks

you need new pads. When was the last time you changed your pads and how many K's have you done since?/

thanks

you need new pads. When was the last time you changed your pads and how many K's have you done since?/

i got my car about wen it was 47000kms, now its 55000kms. i got a minor service on the 50k service, but i dont think they changed the pads. But il check the pads later. Would you recommend toyota for a service? I got it serviced at some other place, and i dont think they did a good job, didnt even top up any of the fluids, and i wouldnt know if they actually did anything to it.

New pads are not part of any routine service. Toyota will check the pads for you but if they need replacing, they'll be quick to ask for more money. So you'll know if they've changed them. If you are lazy as your name suggests just get toyota to replace the pads with OEM's. They are fine for normal everyday driving and they'll last longer than any performance pad.

you can inspect the pads yourself visually

shine a light into the caliper just by the disc face and you can see how much meat is left on the front pad (should be similar on the rear one) if it's down to just a couple of mms, change them.

It could also be dust between the pad and the disc face causing the grinding too, which will require the pad face to be cleaned.

I got similar problem with my brakes i hear a grinding noise as well. But i think it is strange for me since i have only had the sportivo for 2-3months and done about 3000kms. In my state roads vehicle check it states brake pads 80% on all 4 of them. Got my car booked in to the mechanics this Thursday so we will see what the verdict is then.

Grinding and squealing are two different things...

Brakes will grind when there is no meat left and you have the metal backing from the pads contacting the metal surface of the discs when you brake, you'll hear it, you'll feel it through the brake pedal and you'll see the metal shards all over your wheels and brakes...

Brakes will squeal when there is a shiny surface 'glazed' on the pads and discs... Fix this problem by roughening up the surfaces on the discs and pads... Rub the pads on concrete or course sandpaper to roughen it up and sand the faces of the discs too... Problem will be solved...

Grinding and squealing are two different things...

Brakes will grind when there is no meat left and you have the metal backing from the pads contacting the metal surface of the discs when you brake, you'll hear it, you'll feel it through the brake pedal and you'll see the metal shards all over your wheels and brakes...

Brakes will squeal when there is a shiny surface 'glazed' on the pads and discs... Fix this problem by roughening up the surfaces on the discs and pads... Rub the pads on concrete or course sandpaper to roughen it up and sand the faces of the discs too... Problem will be solved...

yeah theres that i had a graunching noise from my brakes not too long ago id had it since i bought the car and i checked my pads they were fine barely worn (it had 40,000 on it then) the other week i finaly pulled them apart to clean and check i also painted the calipers and rotors as well and i sanded and painted down where the disk meets the hub theres a fine strip that gets no pad contact it had alot of surface rust built up and i think thats what caused the noise cause i havent heard it since

anyway toyota is notorious for brake noise when i worked at western toyota that was almost the most complained about thing

Edited by T.J

Ok i think the grinding occured when i was sort of on a slope and braking and im assuming it was the ABS doing its work.

I checked all my pads, and there are still heaps of meat left. Although I am going to replace them with carbon-fibre pads on my next service, my friend installed them in his sportivo and all squeals have diminished.

carbon-fibre pads

:blink:

:help:

They'd need to be bloody hot to work

Carbon-fibre is a really soft-wearing material. It will last you a total of 2 applications on the brake pedal. LOL I think he means Carbon-Ceramic. You also need special rotors to work with them. These brakes don't work at all when they're cold. Where on earth can you get carbon-ceramic brakes for a corolla anyway!? LOL

Edited by qkslvr