cleaning MAF Sensor

ok well first of all ive just spent 3 hours searching and typing in everything i could think of into the search menu. so just chill. i recently cleaned my air filter for my CAI. i cleaned it using the K&N cleaning kit. i sprayed that oily stuff but i think i sprayed it to much and when i put the filter back on like 1 hour later i started her up. i think some oil from the filter got sucked up onto the MAF sensor. on cold starts the car is bogging down like you wouldnt believe when i try to take off. so some help on how to clean it and using what products and is it safe if i soak it in the cleaning product. thanks alot people in adn\vance for the input

sinan

Take the MAFS out and be very careful with it as they cost a lot and break easily. Take the rubber o-ring off. When you look at it you will see a match stick like part, that isn't the MAFS thats the intake temp sensor and you can clean that too if you want. But if you look into the unit you will see a couple of metal strips, that is what your needing to be cleaned. There are many different products to clean it with and I have never had an issue with just pouring some metho in there and letting it soak for 10 minutes, pour it out and let it air dry before reinstalling. I also get a cotton bud and gently clean the intake temp sensor. I don't know how strong the MAFS is but I wouldn't be trying to physically clean it with something. I think other people use contact or brake cleaner too.

Edited by SuperDave

Nearly $400 from toyota or $150 from the wreckers. Northy and I use aerosol contact cleaner as you can simply spray it into everywhere and then just let it evaporate to dry. yes they do get dirty!!

I've used the Electrical Contact Cleaner from Jaycar (Green Can) .

If you have over-oiled your filter, probably best to wash it out again and then use much less oil when you recharge the filter. Otherwise your MAF will just get dirty again very quickly and it's not something you want to be taking out to clean frequently.

• 6 months later...

Hi all.

I know this may be a dumb question, but i rather be safe than sorry & wasting a un-necessary few hundred bucks

maffj9.th.jpg

Now I assume i have to take that plastic part off above the rubber O-ring, if so, how do you take it off?

I've tried a little pulling it straight out, and twisting it clock\anti-clock wise? but didn't use too much force, i don't want to break it.

How does it come off, if it does?

Thanks in advance

You should be fine with metho as long as 1) you don't soak it for terribly long, and 2) you dry it REALLY well. Methylated spirits contains a variety of substances in small quantities such as methanol and acetone, the latter of which seriously likes to eat many rubbers and plastics. DO NOT use carby cleaner or anything with acetone (or its derivatives), or you WILL destroy these materials.

I've used the Electrical Contact Cleaner from Jaycar (Green Can) .

If you have over-oiled your filter, probably best to wash it out again and then use much less oil when you recharge the filter. Otherwise your MAF will just get dirty again very quickly and it's not something you want to be taking out to clean frequently.

Contact cleaner FTW. Spray it and let it dry. It evaporates pretty quickly and then re install it.

Yup brought the Electrical Contact Green Can from Jay Car today.

Hmm, will have to take it off again tommorrow and spray it, it was pretty dirty, need to also buy a new K & N filter...

Thanks

The sensor doesn't disassemble any more than that. Just spray the contact cleaner into the main central hole. That match stick looking thing is just the temp sensor and doesn't really need to be cleaned as often.

The sensor doesn't disassemble any more than that. Just spray the contact cleaner into the main central hole. That match stick looking thing is just the temp sensor and doesn't really need to be cleaned as often.
Take the MAFS out and be very careful with it as they cost a lot and break easily. Take the rubber o-ring off.

Ohhh... just thought i had to take it apart more...

What rubber o-ring are you talking about SuperDave?