gearboxes

Jay.

6 speed on the 1zz... hmm... sounds good but ur gonna be shifting heaps @ lower speed prolly go even slower than the 5 speed... unless u get a powerfc and up the limiter to 8200rpm... that would be fun. wack ing a supercharger and cams.. awesome ride... else.. its gonna be a waste...

Guest dong-soo
just out of curiousity, could a gearbox from a sportivo fit on the normal 1zz's?

and would there be any benefit of doing such a thing?

what an interesting idea.

i didnt even think of this.

Rollamods is right.

But the whole beauty of the 1ZZ Corollas are the low gearing compared to the 2ZZ Corollas. 0-100 my 1ZZ will pip micky_tee's 2ZZ. Check our hillclimb times in the club meets and events section (they're damn close). The 6-speed is too tall in its gearing so you can get the jump and blast through a few gears in the 5-speed before the 6-speed hits lift in 2nd, then it's usually over after that point.

In saying that, from a comfort perspective, if I wasn't using my car in weekend motorsport like that I'd definitely like a 6th gear. At 100km/hr in 5th gear the 1ZZ sits at about 3000-3200RPM which is a bit annoying with the exhaust note.

(Edit: further proof of the low gearing advantage, my first sector split times are usually fastest in class compared to the 2ZZ, MX-5 and S2000 that we have run against)

Edited by Tayles

Rollamods is right.

But the whole beauty of the 1ZZ Corollas are the low gearing compared to the 2ZZ Corollas. 0-100 my 1ZZ will pip micky_tee's 2ZZ. Check our hillclimb times in the club meets and events section (they're damn close). The 6-speed is too tall in its gearing so you can get the jump and blast through a few gears in the 5-speed before the 6-speed hits lift in 2nd, then it's usually over after that point.

In saying that, from a comfort perspective, if I wasn't using my car in weekend motorsport like that I'd definitely like a 6th gear. At 100km/hr in 5th gear the 1ZZ sits at about 3000-3200RPM which is a bit annoying with the exhaust note.

(Edit: further proof of the low gearing advantage, my first sector split times are usually fastest in class compared to the 2ZZ, MX-5 and S2000 that we have run against)

yeh the only reason i would want the 6 speed is for the extra gear i do alot of highway km's and it does get annoying doing 100ks at 3000rpm..

wouldnt have a clue about the ratios but im sure you will get alot of people that do not agree with you :rolleyes:

I thought the ratio for 6th was similar to the 5th of the C56

Th 1zze on an auto gearbox has a bit of torque .. maybe drop a 2zz onto the auto box ...mmmmm

I had the offer to get a smashed 2004 lexus is200 . but passed it in thought i would't make use of it ... 2litre in the corolla ?

Edited by DrivInGScHool

wouldnt have a clue about the ratios but im sure you will get alot of people that do not agree with you :rolleyes:

LOL S'tivo drivers can say what they like. At the top of second gear, a 1ZZ Corolla is beating a 2ZZ Corolla, ceteris paribus*.

I thought the ratio for 6th was similar to the 5th of the C56

Might be but the whole thing is influenced by the final drive isn't it?

Next time we have a road trip you can ride with me and try to converse over the 110km/hr at 3300RPM :lol:

i thought manual corollas were abit more powerful than autos?

not too sure about torque wise

Auto's bring about more drivetrain loss so manual ones will have more power at the wheels. Other than that, the only power difference at the engine is the 100kW throttle cable engines vs. the newer 93kW DBW engines.

*Note that this prevents Bill from coming in and saying something like "Not ALWAYS Jimmy...:P" like he does :lol:

The C64 off the sportivo actually has a shorter 6th if you compare it to the 5th on the C52, due to a different final drive.

However, the C60 off a Celica would also fit with same final drive but taller 6th. (3rd is also taller)

Just for clarification, i have plotted the gear ratios from the toyota brochures comparing a sportivo to a 1zz corolla MANUAL TRANSMISSION (i.e. C64 vs C52)

The graph only goes to 6500 RPM for the sake of the topic (i.e. in a 1zz) and units are in MPH.

If you want a longer 6th for cruise you are looking for a C60 (which has the same ratios as a C160)

I can plot up C60 vs C64 and C60 vs C52 if requested.

cheers.

post-355-1194920798_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1ZZ-FZE

The C64 off the sportivo actually has a shorter 6th if you compare it to the 5th on the C52, due to a different final drive.

However, the C60 off a Celica would also fit with same final drive but taller 6th. (3rd is also taller)

Just for clarification, i have plotted the gear ratios from the toyota brochures comparing a sportivo to a 1zz corolla MANUAL TRANSMISSION (i.e. C64 vs C52)

The graph only goes to 6500 RPM for the sake of the topic (i.e. in a 1zz) and units are in MPH.

If you want a longer 6th for cruise you are looking for a C60 (which has the same ratios as a C160)

I can plot up C60 vs C64 and C60 vs C52 if requested.

cheers.

Are you sure the Celica has different ratios than the sportivo box?