Sportivo Issues

Could also be the shifter cables themself as my gearshift got really stiff to the point of hardly being able to change gears at all. Both my shifter cables were broken and was due to a service dept fixing my shifter rattle by zip tieing the cables to the brake lines on the fire wall away from the heat shield thus running the cables through a severe angle and causing them to break.

• 2 months later...

• 5 weeks later...

I got the gear selector cable problem with my stivo. Rattles can be heard passenger side dashboard near the vents or stereo.

My car is out of factory warranty, EXP FEB 07. I bought the car recentley off a non-Toyota dealer.

I am going to the dealer on Saturday, what should i say about the problem?

• 1 year later...
I got the gear selector cable problem with my stivo. Rattles can be heard passenger side dashboard near the vents or stereo.

My car is out of factory warranty, EXP FEB 07. I bought the car recentley off a non-Toyota dealer.

I am going to the dealer on Saturday, what should i say about the problem?

Is this gear selector cable problem a different issue to the clutch adjustment issue? I've heard the clutch adjustment applies to the 05 Models but does the cable select problem also apply to the 05's? It's been a couple of years since the last post regarding both these issues, has anyone had either fixed more recently?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Do Not Goto Hinterland Toyota in Nerang!!!

I've owned my sportivo now for a lil over a yr. And Absolutely love the car.

But, I must have managed to get the worst out of the lot. The engine has already been replaced before I had purchased it (Which was at 28k) 1 week after purchasing the differential needed to be replaced as something broke in it and went throughout the internals.

BUT the biggest issue I have, which seems to be the same as many others here is the gearbox.

Same as many people, Everytime I took the car in for a service I would tell them, the car does not get into gear properly, Especially down gearing. 1st to 2nd is impossible to smoothly change *Don't even try to rev it up to 7,500 she won't go into gear, just crunch the **** out of the gears.

I told them I wanted someone to look at the car. Which finally someone did....once it was 4 days out of warranty. The person who was testing the car had said he thought it was due to an enlarged gap in the synchro meshes...I said great just **** fix it.

Good bit is , still a warranty job. They came back to me and said we want to replace the whole gearbox *So a car that has done under 45,000 now has brand new engine, dif and gearbox* I told them No, I do not want you to replace the gearbox. I want you to open it! Look inside and replace anything in that gearbox that is covered under warranty. They then come back to me and say Yes, this is a warranty job. But Toyota Australia will only pay half... I got on the phone cut sick and 30 minutes later got a call direct from Toyota Australia saying my job will be covered 100%...(Toyota Australia are great for their service. The dealership wanted extra. The biggest give away was them trying to charge me labour to replace the clutch after he had taken the gearbox off...Taking the gearbox off is part of the warranty job. Therefore I should not have been charged labour to remove the gearbox once more to put the clutch into it. The Dealership I refer to is Toyota Hinterland in Nerang.

Little do I know, What I had asked them to do originally, Was not done. They ripped out the old gearbox and then put a new gearbox into it.

I have a lil issue though. The gearbox still has the exact same **** issue. Sure it shifts a lil more shoother. But Car does not like going into reverse, even if you let the car idle for 10 secs and then slowly *Click* it into gear. Nothing seems to slide into gear with this gearbox, everything clicks. Going from 2nd to first is a nightmare, I do alot of mountain driving, which means hairpins cliffs etc. most of my driving is done in 2nd and 3rd gear. But when I approach a hair pin and can't get it into 1st that is a safety issue!

The Funny bit is when the service manager said Toyota Australia has done this out of *Good Will* and I should not expect anyone to look into this matter any further. Well guess what. Your going to have to open the Brand New Gearbox under the new 1 YR warranty. And I specifically stated I did not want someone to simply replace the gearbox, I wanted someone to open the gearbox and find out what was wrong. I had also signed an authorization *Since the car was out of warranty* stating that I wanted them to figure out what the problem was and I was happy to pay them $600 to Diagnose the issue. Which was to be charged to me if the job was found unwarrantable.

So, In summation. Does anyone know of any absolute inherent issues with these gearboxes in particular?

I've gone through the forums and people have talked about a clutch adjustment, but apparently the clutch is electronic so it does not require adjustment... *Another interesting thing is though, When I got my car back with new gearbox, how can the clutch feel so light, compared to the spring in it previously.

The clutch is hydraulic, the adjustment is at the pushrod for the master cylinder up under the dash, the adjustment procedure is detailed in the service manual. If the clutch is not fully releasing (still dragging a little on the clutch plate) it will be very difficult to downshift or complete high rpm upshifts. Probably never needed a new box in the first place unless it's been ground to death over it's 45,000km. There's no issues with the C series boxes, they've been around for 20 years, syncro and bearing design has improved throughout the 20 year period, and you'll typically start to get sycnrho issues downshifting to 2nd on a box that's closer on 200,000km or had a very hard life.

Print this out and take it to the dealer: http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl0uxv/m_42_0005.pdf

Do Not Goto Hinterland Toyota in Nerang!!!

I've owned my sportivo now for a lil over a yr. And Absolutely love the car.

But, I must have managed to get the worst out of the lot. The engine has already been replaced before I had purchased it (Which was at 28k) 1 week after purchasing the differential needed to be replaced as something broke in it and went throughout the internals.

BUT the biggest issue I have, which seems to be the same as many others here is the gearbox.

Same as many people, Everytime I took the car in for a service I would tell them, the car does not get into gear properly, Especially down gearing. 1st to 2nd is impossible to smoothly change *Don't even try to rev it up to 7,500 she won't go into gear, just crunch the **** out of the gears.

I told them I wanted someone to look at the car. Which finally someone did....once it was 4 days out of warranty. The person who was testing the car had said he thought it was due to an enlarged gap in the synchro meshes...I said great just **** fix it.

Good bit is , still a warranty job. They came back to me and said we want to replace the whole gearbox *So a car that has done under 45,000 now has brand new engine, dif and gearbox* I told them No, I do not want you to replace the gearbox. I want you to open it! Look inside and replace anything in that gearbox that is covered under warranty. They then come back to me and say Yes, this is a warranty job. But Toyota Australia will only pay half... I got on the phone cut sick and 30 minutes later got a call direct from Toyota Australia saying my job will be covered 100%...(Toyota Australia are great for their service. The dealership wanted extra. The biggest give away was them trying to charge me labour to replace the clutch after he had taken the gearbox off...Taking the gearbox off is part of the warranty job. Therefore I should not have been charged labour to remove the gearbox once more to put the clutch into it. The Dealership I refer to is Toyota Hinterland in Nerang.

Little do I know, What I had asked them to do originally, Was not done. They ripped out the old gearbox and then put a new gearbox into it.

I have a lil issue though. The gearbox still has the exact same **** issue. Sure it shifts a lil more shoother. But Car does not like going into reverse, even if you let the car idle for 10 secs and then slowly *Click* it into gear. Nothing seems to slide into gear with this gearbox, everything clicks. Going from 2nd to first is a nightmare, I do alot of mountain driving, which means hairpins cliffs etc. most of my driving is done in 2nd and 3rd gear. But when I approach a hair pin and can't get it into 1st that is a safety issue!

The Funny bit is when the service manager said Toyota Australia has done this out of *Good Will* and I should not expect anyone to look into this matter any further. Well guess what. Your going to have to open the Brand New Gearbox under the new 1 YR warranty. And I specifically stated I did not want someone to simply replace the gearbox, I wanted someone to open the gearbox and find out what was wrong. I had also signed an authorization *Since the car was out of warranty* stating that I wanted them to figure out what the problem was and I was happy to pay them $600 to Diagnose the issue. Which was to be charged to me if the job was found unwarrantable.

So, In summation. Does anyone know of any absolute inherent issues with these gearboxes in particular?

I've gone through the forums and people have talked about a clutch adjustment, but apparently the clutch is electronic so it does not require adjustment... *Another interesting thing is though, When I got my car back with new gearbox, how can the clutch feel so light, compared to the spring in it previously.

Edited by rollamods