Corolla Sportivo not engaging 2nd in lift!!!!!!

This isn't just a corolla issue.

Alot of Type R's have the 1-2 gear crunching problem :)

That's a bit lame though, you'd imagine it to work as you've paid for the damn car and it's not like you're shifting on the rev-limiter *shrug*. If i had a stivo, shift problems would ***** me off majorly...may as well get an auto.

Fwiw, my old fto never had problems going into any gear, even at 8200rpms and quickshift to next gear.. And that's using a 10+year old gearbox..

If a mitsubishi can do it (and we all know in terms of general quality etc Honda>Mitsu), i don't see why Honda or Toyota can't get it right.

as Mr T would say: "Quit your jibba jabba!" :rolleyes:

just adjust the clutch and problem solved. no need to argue. Also, remember to bleed your clutch (from the slave cylinder) before you adjust so you have a good baseline for the clutch travel, friction point and freeplay.

the clutch on the Sportivo seems to share the same resevoir as the brakes so if your brakes fluid is old and your brakes feel spongy, then your clutch will be too (hence the clutch drag, 1st-2nd, worn synchros, and tears)

so get it fixed ASAP.

as Mr T would say: "Quit your jibba jabba!" :rolleyes:

just adjust the clutch and problem solved. no need to argue. Also, remember to bleed your clutch (from the slave cylinder) before you adjust so you have a good baseline for the clutch travel, friction point and freeplay.

the clutch on the Sportivo seems to share the same resevoir as the brakes so if your brakes fluid is old and your brakes feel spongy, then your clutch will be too (hence the clutch drag, 1st-2nd, worn synchros, and tears)

so get it fixed ASAP.

Interesting - I did not know that, and it explains a lot...

it's funny how everyone has been under the bonnet for oil catch cans, intakes, strut brace...etc we've all worked around the reservoir a million times but never noticed there was only one on the brake master and a feed line that goes to the clutch master. :blink::blink:

• 1 month later...
i dont see how your point stands northy, because when my car was brand new it had the same problem it has today.....hard to shift into 2nd...even if it is within the paramaters set by toyota.

once its been done right, problem goes away.....i think it has more to do with the skill of the driver then a possible fault with the car.

the after market clutches seem to be more forgiving when trying to land in lift, not sure if its an adjustment related thing or weather its somthing in the design of the clutch itself...

Sorry i dont mean to pick on you - but your standing up for toyota here....

you say that it has to be "done right" does this mean an aftermarket clutch as stated in a later post??

I have had qualifyed toyota trained mechanics look at it - and i was even given the TNF to check it myself. so summing up they 'should' replace the clutch. but we all know they wont - and anyway its out of warranty.

Edit: Im not the only person that has drivien this car and thought it was difficult

Edited by Delsar_delsar

Not many, maybe 1 to 2 full turns if that. Just go in small increments. I got mine spot on first go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also maybe check your pedal height with technical manual (above).

Simple questions to ask. When you say tighten up the screw, do you mean tighten up the screw inwards or loosen the scew outward ? I have the same problem as well and i did exactly the same way as you suggested ( i tighten the screw inwards after unlocked the nut ) Well let you know when i have my first drive in the morning.

i loosened the nut as in anti-clockwise i think thats right let me know also

I went for clockwise ( ie tighten up the rod ) for only half turn. I must admit is much better then before. I wouldnt say i did it right but i am quite happy with that. I guess every car is different ( if you clutch peddle is lower than recomended height, the loose up the screw so that the peddle comes out higher whereas in my case after i did the half turn on clockwise direction the height just sits right on the recomended height) Probably you should go for loosen up the rod ( that is anticlockwise direction) first and see whether there is any different. I hope this will help

thanks everyone for this thread

i thought i was going crazy not being able to snap seconds anymore

No probs, nearly 2 months on, its still silky into 2nd and i still haven't crunched the gear once. Just proves the adjustment does work!!!!!!!

I've got this problem too - the lever just won't go into second if I'm above 7200RPM. I've just been avoiding it since by not going up that far (i.e. I'll shift at 6700 instead). It'll work occasionally, but I'm not that dedicated in thrashing the car.