The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

^ In my opinion, that oil would be too thick to use on a relatively new engine. As per the manual, the Aurion recommends a 10W30 oil or equivalent (eg. 0W30 or 10W30). These engines are made with specific clearances and this is why they usually recommend a particular oil. Having too thick of an oil can actually be bad for your engine despite what you may think because the thicker oil may not be able to flow as well as the thinner oil which can ultimately lead to engine damage.

Finally a stupid question I can ask.

I am looking to jack the rear of my car up to have a look underneath but I am wondering...

Will it roll away from me, even with wheel chocks?

^ As long as you are on level ground and your first gear is engaged, you should be fine without wheel chocks... but it's good practise to put them there just in case.

No need to worry about it rolling away.

^ In my opinion, that oil would be too thick to use on a relatively new engine. As per the manual, the Aurion recommends a 10W30 oil or equivalent (eg. 0W30 or 10W30). These engines are made with specific clearances and this is why they usually recommend a particular oil. Having too thick of an oil can actually be bad for your engine despite what you may think because the thicker oil may not be able to flow as well as the thinner oil which can ultimately lead to engine damage.

Damn. Has this been proven? I mean have people who used it ever reported engine breakdowns and such?

And i JUST started using it, about 2000 - 3000Km's ago. It cost a fortune too. Is it okay to run it until the next service comes or should i just try and replace it as soon as possible?

Situation on the weekend where my friend bought some popcorn only to find the hotel room didn't have microwave. I recommended they just put it in the electric kettle. They seemed to think it wouldn't work, my theory says otherwise provided you kept it mixing so it wouldn't burn and just turned it off after popping. Anyone tried this before? Ignoring the fact the next person in the room would have had butter flavoured tea :lol:

I figured this is stupid enough for this thread :P

Situation on the weekend where my friend bought some popcorn only to find the hotel room didn't have microwave. I recommended they just put it in the electric kettle. They seemed to think it wouldn't work, my theory says otherwise provided you kept it mixing so it wouldn't burn and just turned it off after popping. Anyone tried this before? Ignoring the fact the next person in the room would have had butter flavoured tea :lol:

I figured this is stupid enough for this thread :P

I guess this is a challenge for me at the next hotel I'm at this coming Monday.

So what do you plan... empty the contents of a microwave popcorn packet into the kettle?

If it's a flat bottom kettle (not common in a hotel though), you could even get away with using traditional popping corn I reckon.

It was one of these style of kettles http://www.breville.com.au/products_detail.asp?prod=522

I don't think the exposed element ones would work as well as it would be prone to burning; not to mention probably not as easy to keep shaking.

LOL!!

I would love to know any outcomes. Hilarious question, brightened my day.

I have a stupid question! Why can no one spell out what I meant with my license plate? Does it really not make any sense?

Hint if your one of those people that infuriate me :lol: : blur your eyes.

th_Picture028.jpg

^ I think it's because the human mind is noticing the gap between the characters and it makes it just that little bit harder to assemble it as a word.

That's what I would think anyways.

^ I think it's because the human mind is noticing the gap between the characters and it makes it just that little bit harder to assemble it as a word.

That's what I would think anyways.

Agreed, it was the coolest plate I could think of that was in the cheap pattern.

Thanks SuperDave. believe it or not, you are the first person to say/write it without telling them the 8 is a B.

Daryl, I'll need photos of the successful or failure of the kettle popcorn; need it as evidence against my friend :P

So before I attempt this.... I need to confirm a few things.

From what I come across most of the time in hotels, the kettle element is a a vertical coil with between 2 to 5 coils and sits about an inch from the very base of the kettle. This is no worries as I will swirl it around gently.

The question here is; which type of popcorn?

There is the traditional popping corn kernels (made for those air popcorn poppers), or will I be daring and go for the full out microwave popcorn (buttered of course). The reason I say this is that I've never opened a packet of microwave popcorn, but from the feel of it outside, it feels like a solid slab of popcorn inside.

Some hotels though do use the flat bottomed kettles though.... if that's the case, this would be an easy win I reckon.

I do imagine this is going to set of the smoke detector... but I'll work around that.

Hey SuperDave, one problem that I can't believe I didn't think of before. A expected, this has led to a fail.

In addition to the steam activated thermostat that switches the kettle off completely, kettles also have an automatic shut-off feature for the element when they gets to a bit above 100 degrees C (easily attainable by running it without water). This is there to prevent the element burning out if ran dry.

So that said, simply placing popping corn kernels in the kettle and turning it on will result in it turning itself off relatively quickly. Forcing it on will then lead to it burning out. Besides that, popcorn needs 180 degrees C to successfully pop.

So I think this is not a viable alternative.

What's involved in a car aircon sanitisation?

Can this be done even if the aircon doesn't actually work (because of a stuffed compressor)? Even though it doesn't work, I still like to have the fans going just to get some air flowing through the cabin on hot days. It just doesn't smell very pleasent. I also have a gift certificate that I've gotta use.

For the Aurion owners. Can you hear the motor/fan noise coming from the glovebox where the aircon fan is when you turn it on low? It's not loud just very faint. I'm asking because I'm not sure if that noise was there as I noticed just now when driving before with the heater on.

For the Aurion owners. Can you hear the motor/fan noise coming from the glovebox where the aircon fan is when you turn it on low? It's not loud just very faint. I'm asking because I'm not sure if that noise was there as I noticed just now when driving before with the heater on.

Yea.. It's like a swirling noise rite..? Im bringing it back to Toyota so they can fix it together with the rattles.