The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

Okay, so I went to get a wheel alignment and asked for extra negative camber for the track. Looking at my alignment report, it appears that they barely even adjusted that. What they did do is make the toe +0.5mm all round (or added 0.5mm... not sure how to read it). Either way though, my g** it makes a difference. So the question is... what's the go?

are you running stockies or aftermarket bits djkor?

if theyre camber-adjustable coilovers it should be easy as

otherwise, im not sure if you can really add camber easily.

the toe they added, i think that means toe out, i daresay you want slight toe in on the front to improve turn in

unless, of course, youve lowered it and the steering arm is behind the driveshaft. this would have added toe in

have you got a printout?

Edited by cuppas

hi all

i have a stupid question

if i want to replace the stock low beam with the aftermarket HID conversion set

do i need angel lights to go with it?

and what does angel light do?

any advices would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

D35

HID is as follows (copy and paste from the internet):

How HID Technology works ?

Xenon HID lamps do not have a filament. Instead the light is created by an electrical discharge between two electrodes in an air tight tiny quartz capsule filled with xenon gas, mercury and metal halide salts. This improves durability as road vibrations can cause damage to coil lighting technologies. These light sources also produce a blue-white light that is safer because it is closer to natural daylight. The color temperature is approximately 6000K compared to 3200K for halogen. The increased light output from a 35 watt Xenon HID Lamp is approximately 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb. The Xenon HID system will also draw less power from your vehicles electrical system.

and "Angel Eyes" I believe just refers to the halo around the light purely for a better aesthetic look I would say.

If you are looking for a HID kit you only need to know the type of bulb that you require and the kit will consist of the appropriate ballast (sort of transformer) and bulbs for you to do the conversion.

I hope that helps. :)

are you running stockies or aftermarket bits djkor?

if theyre camber-adjustable coilovers it should be easy as

otherwise, im not sure if you can really add camber easily.

Just a stock setup. I knew there wouldn't be much camber adjustment and when I first mentioned it, the guy there said that these are usually already near their maximum. I just said to see what they can do. He came back once they had a look at it and said they might be able to get a little bit more out of it. I said to go for it.

the toe they added, i think that means toe out, i daresay you want slight toe in on the front to improve turn in

unless, of course, youve lowered it and the steering arm is behind the driveshaft. this would have added toe in

have you got a printout?

As requested (was meant to do this before, but was busy). I really don't understand how it affects it all, but all I can see is the toe being changed... and from testing it out, it definitely feels different. It seems to hold corners better than before and has that feeling of wanting to oversteer. It also feels as if it wants to take the corner sharper than usual; hard to explain the feeling but its like when your walking and someone is pulling your arm to get you to follow them. It is definitely better than before though.

dsc05071g.jpg

HID is as follows (copy and paste from the internet):

How HID Technology works ?

Xenon HID lamps do not have a filament. Instead the light is created by an electrical discharge between two electrodes in an air tight tiny quartz capsule filled with xenon gas, mercury and metal halide salts. This improves durability as road vibrations can cause damage to coil lighting technologies. These light sources also produce a blue-white light that is safer because it is closer to natural daylight. The color temperature is approximately 6000K compared to 3200K for halogen. The increased light output from a 35 watt Xenon HID Lamp is approximately 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb. The Xenon HID system will also draw less power from your vehicles electrical system.

and "Angel Eyes" I believe just refers to the halo around the light purely for a better aesthetic look I would say.

If you are looking for a HID kit you only need to know the type of bulb that you require and the kit will consist of the appropriate ballast (sort of transformer) and bulbs for you to do the conversion.

I hope that helps. :)

hey mate..

thanks for that. that certainly helped.

so what temperature range should i look for?

and what limit is illegal?

cheers

D35

There is no 'legal limit' with respect to HID colour temperature. Any HID retrofit (HID's in headlights originally made for halogen bulbs) is considered illegal.

As for the colour temperature:

If you want the best in whiteness and brightness, go for the 5000k, but if you want it with a slight tinge of blue, go for the 6000k. Both are just about as bright, and performance is close to the same, so it's really up to you. If you want more blue than white in the colour, then I would go for 8000k. I would not advise 8000k or higher if you are really after top lighting performance however since it's performance in the rain is crap because blue light doesn't bounce back as well through rain and fog. That said, 8000k HID's still light up road markings and signs really well so even in the wet, these will still remain visible. It's really up to you.

There is no 'legal limit' with respect to HID colour temperature. Any HID retrofit (HID's in headlights originally made for halogen bulbs) is considered illegal.

As for the colour temperature:

If you want the best in whiteness and brightness, go for the 5000k, but if you want it with a slight tinge of blue, go for the 6000k. Both are just about as bright, and performance is close to the same, so it's really up to you. If you want more blue than white in the colour, then I would go for 8000k. I would not advise 8000k or higher if you are really after top lighting performance however since it's performance in the rain is crap because blue light doesn't bounce back as well through rain and fog. That said, 8000k HID's still light up road markings and signs really well so even in the wet, these will still remain visible. It's really up to you.

Hey DJKOR

I was trying not to annoy u by pms, so posted the question here

but guess it comes out the same, you answered my questions again haha :toast:

thanks mate (once again)

D35

Hey guys,

i just want to get people's opinions on Wideband O2 sensor gauges...

Also known as Air/Fuel ratio gauges

Are they any good? are they reliable? and accurate? and also, are they worth the money?

Evo

As requested (was meant to do this before, but was busy). I really don't understand how it affects it all, but all I can see is the toe being changed... and from testing it out, it definitely feels different. It seems to hold corners better than before and has that feeling of wanting to oversteer. It also feels as if it wants to take the corner sharper than usual; hard to explain the feeling but its like when your walking and someone is pulling your arm to get you to follow them. It is definitely better than before though.

what hes done is made it less toe out. thats 0.5mm toe out, as opposed to the 4 and 4.7 it was originally

so yeah same dealio as what i said before, improved turn in =D

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

so i had adjusted the level of my lowbeam today, with one of those little "wheel" if you get what i mean.

then i found out that there is another pair of them located closer to the indicator lights which seems pretty hard to get access into

anyone know what does that pair do?

D35

hi all,

so i had adjusted the level of my lowbeam today, with one of those little "wheel" if you get what i mean.

then i found out that there is another pair of them located closer to the indicator lights which seems pretty hard to get access into

anyone know what does that pair do?

D35

i think they rotate ur lights left n right..

I have been looking around but can't really find the answer. In the Toyota Aurion, if you slide the shifter to "s" and just leave it there, is it like pushing the "sports shift" button on the commodores? Or are you expected to start manually changing the gears.

I have been looking around but can't really find the answer. In the Toyota Aurion, if you slide the shifter to "s" and just leave it there, is it like pushing the "sports shift" button on the commodores? Or are you expected to start manually changing the gears.

The best answer for this has already been written by the member 'Stealth'. In my opinion, this is probably the clearest explanation, so I will quote him:

Aurion Gearbox - Sports Mode

Shifting from D to "Manual mode" manually changes the gears available to the gearbox. So if you select 3rd gear - the car will only use gears one through three. Or if you select 5th gear the car will only use gears from one through five, etc etc...

The manual shift mode is more to assist with gear selection in heavy/slow traffic (use 4th gear to use gears one through four to provide better respose at slow speeds) or engine braking on downhill stretches. It's only other practical use is for towing.

The crap part is that the manual shift option is nothing more than a modern version of an overdrive selector. But instead of having a 3 speed auto with 4th gear overdrive on a switch, you can select any of the 6 gears. Nothing more...

That's why the car still up and down shifts when it dam well pleases. Even though you think you've selected a single gear, you've only narrowed the cars options.

Basically in answering your question, you can just leave it in the highest gear that you will need, or you can shift through all the gears if you really want to.