The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

Stupid Question time:

Is it wrong for me to think that my car has possibly gained a few extra kw's? Cause the whole car feels alot more torquier...? It might just be the placebo effect?

What do others think?

Evo

I would say more placebo effect than anything. For you to really feel a gain, you need a fairly decent increase in power or torque. A few kilowatts is not something you can properly gauge by feel.

well then,

i love the placebo effect LOL :lol:

Evo

What is "lift" and why do rolla owners always talk about it? :wacko:

Lift is similar in concept to VTEC. It gives a N/A engine a little more kick. Taken from the pinned thread in the Corolla forum:

ok guys this is the thread to put all your technical term questions eg..

VVT-i and VVTL-i

What is VVTL-i ?

In addition to VVT-i, VVTL-i also incorporates a changeover mechanism that varies both the amount of lift and the duration of valve opening of both the intake and exhaust valves. The VVTL-i mechanism uses two different sets of cams on both the inlet and exhaust camshafts to provide different settings for low/medium engine speeds and high engine speeds. This makes it possible to produce very high engine output (power) without sacrificing fuel economy or torque at lower engine speeds. (Note how flat the torque curve is.)

How does VVTL-i work?

The Toyota 2ZZ-GE features different sets of cam lobes on both the inlet and exhaust camshafts for low/medium and high engine speeds. When the engine speed exceeds 6000r/min and the engine water temperature exceeds 60 degrees Centigrade, the ECU activates an oil control valve that pressurises oil passages in the inlet and exhaust camshafts. This activates a cam changeover mechanism on each set of cam lobes which ‘locks’ the cam rollers onto the high-speed cam profiles. The result is that the lift of the intake and exhaust valves is extended, enhancing the engine's 'breathing' and power.

Video

Also explained here:

Lotus Elise VVTL-i Explained

Lift is a type of Soft drink that contains Lemon in it :P if you have it often, you can 'claim' that you "live in LIFT" ;)

That not only tastes great, but quite refreshing :D

ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer LOL :lol:

Evo

Lift is a type of Soft drink that contains Lemon in it :P if you have it often, you can 'claim' that you "live in LIFT" ;)

Evo

:lol:

Of course that's your explanation... because it's all the lift you got :o

<insert cliché studio audience reaction>

Just wondering, how many litres of brake fluid would I need if i was to flush the old brake lines and clutch lines and then top it all up again.

This is for a zze123 stivo.

I usually use about 1L of brake fluid to do a flush. Its hard to tell when the new stuff is coming out when I replace it every 6 months (to be sure to be sure).

Could probably do it with 0.5L.

Haven't done clutch yet so don't know.

I usually use about 1L of brake fluid to do a flush. Its hard to tell when the new stuff is coming out when I replace it every 6 months (to be sure to be sure).

Could probably do it with 0.5L.

Haven't done clutch yet so don't know.

So it should be safe to say that 2L should be more than enough?

• 2 weeks later...
jl2r2b.jpg

This is crazy...Goldfish with tattoos. :blink: They laser burn it on...poor widdle fishy.

awww :( i feel sorry for the fishys, i like fishys :lol:

Evo

Wow, that is cruel. I bet that burns through the protective slime layer on the outside, thus exposing the fish to infection.

Not sure how this is any different to the fella who was caught writing on wild fish, with pen, advertising his store.

Of course that's your explanation... because it's all the lift you got :o

<insert cliché studio audience reaction>

call of the year

ok here is my stupid question

WHAT THE BUCK ARE BONNET PINS... I KNOW WAT THEY LOOK LIKE BUT WHY WOULD SOME PEOPLE GET THEM?

Bonnet pins are exactly that, pins that hold the bonnet down. Since the only thing holding a bonnet down is the catch, if this fails then the bonnet will fling back into the windscreen. Thus, as a safety precaution, race cars have extra pins inserted into the leading edge of the bonnet and "pin" it to the radiator support. People put them on road cars either because they use it as a track/hillclimb car as well (most CAMS events require bonnet pins), or because they want to look cool and make other people THINK that they race the car.