General camry questions/answers

private number

Sorry if this has been done before but i thought instead of making a new thread for me to ask a simple question, id just make a general camry question thread where all small questions can be easily asked in the one place.

anyway my question is which has played on my mind all day during work is, if the camry model fuel tank capacity is 70 litres, why is it that when i filled it up today with 55 litres of fuel today the line went past the "F"? The line was at the 2nd little mark before the "E" before i filled it up?

Edited by private number

It seems to be a common thing for Toyota fuel gauges to show empty when there is 10-15 litres left in the tank. Just for reference, here is some discussion on other models:

Aurion: Fuel tank and gauge accuracy

And the Corolla guys asked as well: Corolla Fuel guage?

When you think about it though, it actually makes sense. Think about the surface area of the fuel tank. It's like trying to measure 10 litres of water in the bathtub. The level (depth) of the water isn't that much when you put it that way which makes it hard to measure.

I ran close to empty once, I put in 68.75L, so yes, they have a 70L tank as specified in the manual.

I done the exact same... :) 70L as per my lil manual. If you wanna be VERY pedantic about it call, I think you can get another 500ml in there to fill it to the brim.

It's kind of telling you you're running on the 'reserve' tank. Which really isn't the case, it's just a float(electrical sender) that is in the tank. When fuel isn't in the float, the resistance increases and turns the light on IIRC. But it means get fuel very soon!

The capacity for my Gen 2 is 60L but the light turns on when there's 15L or less.

However, with all that being said. I still wouldn't continue to drive around with the low level light with an EFI engine. It may start sucking air from the tank(when cornering or going up a hill), reducing fuel pressure and cause rough running/misfiring.

Edited by sv21_ownR

However, with all that being said. I still wouldn't continue to drive around with the low level light with an EFI engine. It may start sucking air from the tank(when cornering or going up a hill), reducing fuel pressure and cause rough running/misfiring.

Actually, in an EFI car I'd be worried about the fuel pump running dry before I'd worry about fuel pressure and the rail sucking air. EFI high pressure fuel pumps use the fuel itself as a lubricant, and when you run them dry they ***** themselves very quickly.

In reply to the original post, I get the same with my gen4, my dad gets the same in his Hiace and my friends get the same in their cars (not all Toyotas). I think it's more so a measure to prevent you simply stopping somewhere as soon as the needle hits "E". If you think about it, quite a few people run their cars until the needle is at "E" and if there was actually no fuel left in the tank the car would obviously just stop - so what I'm trying to say, is that it acts as a "buffer" until you can get to a petrol station =)

just a quick question, i bought seat covers and i need to remove the back seat to properly install them. how do i remove the back seat in a 07 camry? i tried for a good 30minutes before i gave up. haha
How do you remove the back seat... Im getting frustrated!

The way the back seat is held down is quite shocking. In most cars you have a tab you can pull on to release it, but unfortunately on the Aurion/Camry it is just a matter of pulling the seat up with some force. There are two 'clips' that hold the seat down and it is best to squeeze your hand as close to the clip as possible and pull up. If you have larger hands, you can use a long screwdriver to lever it up. It's kind of hard to explain; but if you use a torch and look under the front end of the seat while trying to raise it, you will see what I mean.

Once that is out, you can remove the back rest portion of the seat by removing two bolts that are located near the bottom of the seat belts.

In addition, there are step-by-step instructions in the appropriate service manual:

http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen6/2GR-FE/Seat.pdf (page 47)

seatv.jpg

Just remember, it takes a bit of force. DO NOT stand outside the car, lean in, and use both hands to pull up on the seat. Many times I have done this and the seat takes that much force to unhook that all the upward momentum is enough to get my back to hit the arch of the door. Is not friendly. Either use one hand to hold onto something else or do it from inside the car.

just a quick question, i bought seat covers and i need to remove the back seat to properly install them. how do i remove the back seat in a 07 camry? i tried for a good 30minutes before i gave up. haha

one reason why I still have crappy 6x9's in the back and the seat cover package in my boot complete with untouched rear seatcovers. <_<

Just remember, it takes a bit of force. DO NOT stand outside the car, lean in, and use both hands to pull up on the seat.

Absolutely concur! Some come away easier than others. If the rear squab has never been moved since installation, it's quite difficult. Heave on it from INSIDE the car, even if that means removing one of the front seats. Leaning in and yanking upwards will screw your back bigtime.

quick question, what are all your oppinions on modding up an 07 camry, performance wise?

i was thinking of beefing it up a bit like having it accelerate better and faster and having her have a new "purring" sound at the same time. im already planning on putting a set of rims on it plus maybe coilovers or a lowering kit and in my oppinion after that it will have the sort of mean luxary look i was after. but if i do that, i need performance specs to back up the looks. its like having a really built person but he doesnt know how to lay a punch, get what im saying? haha

on a side note, if i wanted to do the above, what would need to be done on my ride exactly and a price estimate?

quick question, what are all your oppinions on modding up an 07 camry, performance wise?

i was thinking of beefing it up a bit like having it accelerate better and faster and having her have a new "purring" sound at the same time. im already planning on putting a set of rims on it plus maybe coilovers or a lowering kit and in my oppinion after that it will have the sort of mean luxary look i was after. but if i do that, i need performance specs to back up the looks.

Once you've lowered it and put on braces etc, about the only other handling mods worth doing are a brake upgrade. This can be either the same size discs and pads (just higher quality), or a big brake kit.

After that, you would be looking at performance mods. Unfortunately, you are not going to achieve anything unless you go down this path:

carsss023.jpg

its like having a really built person but he doesnt know how to lay a punch, get what im saying?

Great analogy. I completely understand that one.

DJKOR, and what path would that be?

how about a sports exhaust system being installed? sorry for these stupid questions, i just really wanna know what my camrys potential is and how far i can go with the budget i have. i dont wanna race my baby or anything, just want her to have a mean luxary look with the performance mods to back it up.

DJKOR, and what path would that be?

The path shown in the photo... a turbo.

how about a sports exhaust system being installed? sorry for these stupid questions, i just really wanna know what my camrys potential is and how far i can go with the budget i have. i dont wanna race my baby or anything, just want her to have a mean luxary look with the performance mods to back it up.

A sports exhaust is going to give you no more performance. All it will do is sound more powerful than it is.

Is that a tupperware box zip tied sideways ?! :P

That's called ingenuity. Needed to protect the piggyback somehow.

you could like, mount it in the cabin... that would protect it :P