The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

I just replaced my K&N pod filter with a CCS (Cheap Chinese... Stuff) air filter from Repco which is significantly larger than my K&N and has an inverted top (it fits because there is so much space down there).

The engine runs fine with the bigger filter on... but realistically what kind of gains would I get from a bigger filter with more filtering area?

I just replaced my K&N pod filter with a CCS (Cheap Chinese... Stuff) air filter from Repco which is significantly larger than my K&N and has an inverted top (it fits because there is so much space down there).

The engine runs fine with the bigger filter on... but realistically what kind of gains would I get from a bigger filter with more filtering area?

If the original filter wasn't restrictive in the first place, about the only gain I can think of would be a longer service interval for the filter.

If the original filter wasn't restrictive in the first place, about the only gain I can think of would be a longer service interval for the filter.

I don't think it was restrictive but the 'xstream' + 'inverted' K&N filters boast longer service intervals.

I'll flog the car on the way to work tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

edit: WTF??? What happened to your sig?

hey,

just wondering why my laptop has stopped charging when i have my charger conntected to the laptop... instead it says plugged in, not charging with the battery level at 35%. i tried disconnecting the charger and reconnecting it which resulted in it charging for a few seconds but then it still says plugged in, not charging with the battery level at 35%. thanks

Is it a good idea to get another service done before going interstate next month? My last service was almost 2 months ago.

Depends how many km's you've done since last service, every 10Ks service is recommended. Otherwise just check the level of your fluids and make sure your engine oil is topped up. And that theres no other issues need to be addressed. Make sure your tyre pressures are good also, pump it to 40psi for better economy since im guessing you'll be doing predominantly freeway driving. Other than that, should be fine.

hey,

just wondering why my laptop has stopped charging when i have my charger conntected to the laptop... instead it says plugged in, not charging with the battery level at 35%. i tried disconnecting the charger and reconnecting it which resulted in it charging for a few seconds but then it still says plugged in, not charging with the battery level at 35%. thanks

Get a new charger..

hey,

How old is the laptop, how much use does it get and when it's being used is it usually used plugged into the power or on battery power?

Here's my stupid question.

What makes the engine sound? How exactly does the engine create that roar? Idle or reving it's tits off?

The main raw sound you get from an engine is the compression and expansion of the gas inside the combustion chamber, not the combustion itself (note that an air-compressor sounds like an engine even though there is no fuel or combustion involved). What you end up hearing though is this sound muted, muffled, filtered and modified by the exhaust system.

Note that the raw sound itself will vary from car to car based on things like compression ratio, valve patterns, cam profiles, firing order, displacement, RPM etc etc.

How old is the laptop, how much use does it get and when it's being used is it usually used plugged into the power or on battery power?

the laptop is 4 years old.. i use it almost everyday.. i use the battery power and once the battery runs out i charge it and when its full i still use it on the battery charger and when im done i turn the charger off and next time i use the laptop i run it on battery power and repeat the cycle(re charging when the battery is low and etc)

Edited by EK1

Here's my stupid question.

What makes the engine sound? How exactly does the engine create that roar? Idle or reving it's tits off?

The main raw sound you get from an engine is the compression and expansion of the gas inside the combustion chamber, not the combustion itself (note that an air-compressor sounds like an engine even though there is no fuel or combustion involved). What you end up hearing though is this sound muted, muffled, filtered and modified by the exhaust system.

Note that the raw sound itself will vary from car to car based on things like compression ratio, valve patterns, cam profiles, firing order, displacement, RPM etc etc.

That's something I must take note of.

Thanks heaps man!

the laptop is 4 years old.. i use it almost everyday.. i use the battery power and once the battery runs out i charge it and when its full i still use it on the battery charger and when im done i turn the charger off and next time i use the laptop i run it on battery power and repeat the cycle(re charging when the battery is low and etc)

Sounds like the battery is pretty much dead then to me. If it's unplugged and run off the battery until it's say 10% flat, then plugged in again, does it then charge back to 35% then stop again?

Sounds like the battery is pretty much dead then to me. If it's unplugged and run off the battery until it's say 10% flat, then plugged in again, does it then charge back to 35% then stop again?

yes it does charge to 35% then stops again

yes it does charge to 35% then stops again

Well given it's age, use and the fact that it charges to 35% still, I'd say you're up for either a new batter or a new laptop. All rechargable batteries lose capacity over time, and this effect is made worse if you use the device while it's plugged into mains power. 4 years being used most days is actally a pretty good effort I'd say!

Before you go to bed, hit F2 or DEL or whatever on startup and go into your BIOS screen. Look for an option called something like 'battery calibration' and let this run with the laptop NOT on a/c power. This will calibrate the charge state of the battery by completely draining it then attempting to charge back to 100% when you plug a/c back in the next day.

4 years is a long time for a laptop battery used every day. I'd say it's more likely time for a new battery (ie: 35% probably actually is '100%' for that battery now).

Before you go to bed, hit F2 or DEL or whatever on startup and go into your BIOS screen. Look for an option called something like 'battery calibration' and let this run with the laptop NOT on a/c power. This will calibrate the charge state of the battery by completely draining it then attempting to charge back to 100% when you plug a/c back in the next day.

4 years is a long time for a laptop battery used every day. I'd say it's more likely time for a new battery (ie: 35% probably actually is '100%' for that battery now).

what does a/c power mean?

hey just wondering when you top up oil in a car. when do you look

at the dipstick( do you keep on checking it after pouring oil in

or only at the beginning) and how do you know how much oil to put in ?

thanks

what does a/c power mean?

Alternating Current - the sort of power that comes out of the power point mate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternating_current

The battery power is sometimes referred to as D/C (Direct Current): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_current

Edited by TroysRollaSX

Since i got my corolla, ive been thinking if i should modify it or not. At first i wasnt going to and i was going to get another car next year to modify. After talking to a few people im unsure what i should do.. is it really worth while for the sportivo?

Since i got my corolla, ive been thinking if i should modify it or not. At first i wasnt going to and i was going to get another car next year to modify. After talking to a few people im unsure what i should do.. is it really worth while for the sportivo?

Hell yeah!

But then again, its your decision. Dont let others decide, YOU have to want to do or it just wont happen.